FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Stewart losing co-sponsor

<<

HRR

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Tony Stewart losing co-sponsor

Just found this ... This spells big trouble for SHR as a whole.. this article is via ESPN...

"Quote"
HAMPTON, Ga. -- Office Depot, co-primary sponsor for Tony Stewart's No. 14 Chevrolet in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series since Stewart took over the team in 2009, will not return in that capacity in 2013, a team spokesman confirmed.
"Office Depot has notified SHR that they will not be renewing as the primary sponsor of the No. 14 team," SHR spokesman Mike Arning said. "However, SHR is in continued discussions with Office Depot regarding possible future roles the company could have with the team."

Asked what those future roles might be, Arning was unable to specify.

"They want to be involved with Tony and the team, but are unsure how right now," he said.

Office Depot's departure leaves quite a void for SHR. The office-products company held the primary sponsorship in 22 of 38 races in 2012. Mobil 1, which holds primary sponsorship of the No. 14 in the series' remaining 16 events, will carry the same investment in 2013, Arning said.

Mindy Kramer, Senior Director of Communications for Office Depot, said the decision to leave the three-time champion was difficult and not taken lightly.

"The changing business landscape warrants a realignment of priorities and resources," Kramer said via written statement. "That being said, Tony Stewart has been an exceptional ambassador for our brand, and he has gone above and beyond in everything that he has done for our company.

"Being a part of his legendary 2011 championship run was a moment of tremendous pride for everyone at Office Depot."

Office Depot is also currently the "Official Office Products Partner" of NASCAR, a status they've held since 2005. Kramer and NASCAR spokesman Jon Schwartz both said the two sides are still negotiating any future relationship."
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Tony Stewart losing co-sponsor

Yup! :( Man sponsorship is tough in this economy.

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... ry-sponsor

SPEEDTV is reporting the same thing: http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-b ... y-stewart/
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Let the Office Depot boycott begin folks!!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

HRR

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:46 pm

onerockindoc wrote:Let the Office Depot boycott begin folks!!!

I am down for that! How do we start it? :evil: :evil:
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:50 pm

onerockindoc wrote:Let the Office Depot boycott begin folks!!!

Not a problem doc, there isn't one here in Phoenix, closest one is in Tucson...

Hiss, boo Office Depot :evil:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:50 pm

so boycott a company because fiscally it does pay to back a car? maybe thats one reason they pulled their sponsorship, because sales have dropped. i never got the whole boycott thing, i will continue to go to lowes cuz i get good service, plus been going there for over 20 years before they were in nascar plus other stores or services that were once in nascar, its the nature of the beast nothing lasts forever, its no ones fault this happened.

lets all boycott the ARMY because they left SHR..........
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:56 pm

I always supported Office Depot bacause they sponsored my man Smoke. Went out of my way to do it. I spent my money how I chose.

You support the Army because they protect us and serve us each and every day. It is the right thing to do.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

tlmerk

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm usually all for boycotting something in principle but in this case, I can't fault someone for backing out on sponsorship for SHR, esp. for Tony who hasn't been the poster child for good sportsmanship this past month. I would like to think their decision has nothing to do with Tony's helmet throw recently but I don't know when they made this decision. I would imagine with Office Depot it's all about money and marketing and corporate image plays a part in all that. Really, it's all about the dollar for a company that big.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:41 pm

tlmerk wrote:I'm usually all for boycotting something in principle but in this case, I can't fault someone for backing out on sponsorship for SHR, esp. for Tony who hasn't been the poster child for good sportsmanship this past month. I would like to think their decision has nothing to do with Tony's helmet throw recently but I don't know when they made this decision. I would imagine with Office Depot it's all about money and marketing and corporate image plays a part in all that. Really, it's all about the dollar for a company that big.

id be very surprised if the helmet thing had anything to do with it, there are other drivers who have acted unprofessional, whether it was dumping someone in a truck race, taking them out of the championship, or cussing at a pit reporter or screaming at their team or the media, and those bozos are still around, one with major sponsorship.
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

tlmerk

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Yep, I agree MJ. This is a a quote taken from the Office Depot Facebook page today which I suscribe to:

To all of our fans and all of Tony Stewart's fans - please know that we LOVE Tony Stewart and feel that he has been a fantastic partner for Office Depot. However, we are in a very challenging economy and have been working very hard to improve our business for our customers. We are just not able to continue for next year at the same level of primary sponsorship of the #14 car that we have in the past. Tony means a lot to Office Depot and the relationship we have built these past 4 years is about more than our name and logo being on his race car. No matter what, the Office Depot family will always be with Smoke.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
???? Total bummer though.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:26 pm

This has more to do with financial problems at Office Depot than anything else. I have watched their stock on a down ward fall for quite a long time........and wondered if this wouldn't happen........Five years ago it was a twenty dollar stock, last friday it sold for $1.53 a share..not good!! ............Sad to say if this economy doesn't get turned around there will be many many more....:(
Last edited by Annalee on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

ndunn

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Last edited by ndunn on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:57 pm

At least they made stay on as a associate sponsor and be a primary for a few races. Still a blower. Maybe Mobil One steps ups they use to sponsor Hornish for the whole season.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:34 pm

I hadn't checked my E-mails today & my hubby told me before we went out this eve that Office Depot is pulling out as primary & told me sternly not to shop at Office Depot anymore. I usually found stuff cheaper than there anyway, but I did buy some stuff there anyway just because they were a primary sponsor.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

beaverpond

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:05 pm

I think what Annalee said hit it right on the head.

Which could be the reason why Staples got out several years ago. I know for quite some time, they were closing stores and having to lay off employees as well. It would look pretty bad to still sponsor a car and close extra stores and lay off additional employees.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
Next

Return to Tony