FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

TALKING ABOUT CARS FROM YOUR YOUTH OR CURRENT!

<<

chevy39fan

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Re: TALKING ABOUT CARS FROM YOUR YOUTH OR CURRENT!

BlackFlag wrote:Here's my car from my youth and it's still current. I've had my 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Mustang since 1986. I bought it not long after I got out of the Navy. It's got the 351 Cleveland engine.
I don't drive it much in the summer 'cause it's like driving an oven around town.

NICE! :D
<<

BlackFlag

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks!!
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

jansen25

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 am

beaverpond wrote:
Crown Vic Wagon.jpg

This is the wagon that we used for hauling the camper around when we were kids, but ours was a bluish silver color. I also had this car for being tortured in on my drivers test at 3:00 in the afternoon in downtown Kennebunk on July 3rd on Route 1 with more than 5000 cars per hour. I had to park this car behind a pickup with its tailgate down and be within 12 inches of the curb on the first try.

I grew up in a very rural area where you are lucky to see 5000 cars in a week. So it was kind of nerve wracking at the time.

Lincoln made the Mark 4, ndunn.

Since the 1990s, the nation's law enforcement fleets have been dominated by Ford's Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, passionately known to officials as the "Crown Vic." But as beloved as the dependable workhorse has become, it will soon be a thing of the past. Read more here.
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

I'm going to miss seeing the Crown Vic in action as those cars can move and also seeing them lined up in a parking lot ready to go. I've appreciated this thread as it has mentioned cars I know very well. I wish the young people could see a street full of the cars from the 50's and 60's as they were a magnificent sight to see. We of the age are greatful for the designers and engineers who made it possible for thousands of people to make the cars we will always cherish.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

chevy39fan

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:47 pm

jansen25 wrote:
beaverpond wrote:
The attachment Crown Vic Wagon.jpg is no longer available

This is the wagon that we used for hauling the camper around when we were kids, but ours was a bluish silver color. I also had this car for being tortured in on my drivers test at 3:00 in the afternoon in downtown Kennebunk on July 3rd on Route 1 with more than 5000 cars per hour. I had to park this car behind a pickup with its tailgate down and be within 12 inches of the curb on the first try.

I grew up in a very rural area where you are lucky to see 5000 cars in a week. So it was kind of nerve wracking at the time.

Lincoln made the Mark 4, ndunn.

Since the 1990s, the nation's law enforcement fleets have been dominated by Ford's Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, passionately known to officials as the "Crown Vic." But as beloved as the dependable workhorse has become, it will soon be a thing of the past. Read more here.
After all the Crown Vics are retired. Ohio will go with the Dodge Charger!
Attachments
M-Cars-Dodge-Charger.jpg
M-Cars-Dodge-Charger.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Taurus 1.jpg
Taurus 1.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

Taurus 2.jpg
Taurus 2.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

Taurus 3.jpg
Taurus 3.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

A lot of local towns are switching to these, the Ford Taurus Police Persuit Vehicle. It has better take off speed than either the Chevy or the Dodge and it sits higher than the Chevy or the Dodge according our Police Chief. He put all three police interceptors through the state police academy's officer training course. He and three of our town's officers liked the Ford the best. The new Ford will actually get 21 mpg versus the 13 we were getting with the Crown Vic. We do have one Dodge and one Chevy, but all the rest are Fords. The one Dodge is a SUV. We are trading one SUV that is a Ford for one of these new cruisers.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

gkbacb

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:25 am

on the season premeire of top gear on history channel last tuesday, the guys did a comparo test of the three new police cars, ford intercepter, dodge charger, and chevy impala ltz. i liked the ford the best, it has a v-6, with twin turbos, puts out like 364hp, compared with the old crown vic which only had 250hp. the charger has over 300hp as well, the chevy is really made to be a inspector/detective car, came in at just under 300hp. both the dodge and chevy are rear wheel drive, while the ford is all wheel drive, i would bet most city's/town's will go with the ford due to its power and handeling. my city has already purchased a couple and i have had the pleasure of driving one, (it's nice to be a police car mechanic for my local public works dept.) not everyone gets to legally have a blast with a car like that, it is simpily amazing. i have driven alot of high end, and even some exotics, and the new ford pursuit car ranks right up there, #### thing can hit 60 in 3.8 seconds, real fun car to drive
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 am

The twin turbo with the AWD is a $3500 extra per cruiser. You can get the basic police interceptor package that has 256hp and fwd. I found this out from our police chief because I was curious what package we went with in the bidding process.
Image Image

<<

gkbacb

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:09 am

that i didn't know, my city went with the awd, and power package, due to the winter's up here
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 am

We have a few SUVs which are only used during snow storms and mud season. Reason being is they get such lousy fuel mileage that it is not worth driving them on a daily basis. So on a normal basis we drive the other normal cruisers for around town.
Image Image

<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:21 pm

beaverpond wrote:We have a few SUVs which are only used during snow storms and mud season. Reason being is they get such lousy fuel mileage that it is not worth driving them on a daily basis. So on a normal basis we drive the other normal cruisers for around town.

I wish Phoenix was more concerned with gas mileage. Most of what you see day in and day out is the Chevy SUV's. Really? Especially since 6 months of the year you have to run the A/C in your car. For a city griping about money, you'd think they'd have a little common sense. Especially since they mostly use them on the city streets, not the freeways.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 pm

I guess it all depends on how often they get calls out to remote areas where there is some off roading going on.
Image Image

<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:49 pm

This is the car I had to use to get my license when I was 16. Ugh, loved the car, great for cruising, but it was the death of me in my driving test. It had a 4 speed tranny and I was so nervous, I kept popping the clutch cause my legs were shaking so hard. Needless to say I didn't pass that first test. Had to wait a week before I could try again. I was still nervous, but I prevailed and was cruising the beach a couple of hours later :mrgreen:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

chevy39fan

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Here in Ohio. Our State Highway Patrol uses all kinds of vehicles including motor cycles. It all depends on the terrain being patrolled. Motor Carrier(mainly for truckers) police use Chevy Tahoe's.

I stand corrected. Ohio State Patrol hasn't decided which cars they will use after retirement of all the Crown Vics.

Here were I live. They use Crown Vics/Ford Interceptors! Our Parks and Recreation use mainly Dodge Chargers. There's plenty of law enforcement around here trust me and there all trying to get a piece of the moving violation pie! ;)
<<

chevy39fan

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:29 pm

Rochelle wrote:Image

This is the car I had to use to get my license when I was 16. Ugh, loved the car, great for cruising, but it was the death of me in my driving test. It had a 4 speed tranny and I was so nervous, I kept popping the clutch cause my legs were shaking so hard. Needless to say I didn't pass that first test. Had to wait a week before I could try again. I was still nervous, but I prevailed and was cruising the beach a couple of hours later :mrgreen:
Nice Rochelle! Good drivers test story too.
PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby