FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Live Chat Now 1:22 PM With Matt Yocum

<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Live Chat Now 1:22 PM With Matt Yocum

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/NASCAR-on-FOX-Matt-Yocum-chat-March-9-2011

I'm adding it as it happens so make sure you check the main blog here for more info

Ask Matt Yokum questions now live chat

So far here's what's being said:
Wednesday March 9, 2011
12:44 Good afternoon everybody, and welcome to today's chat with NASCAR on FOX pit reporter Matt Yocum.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 12:44
12:44 Matt will join us at 1 p.m. ET, but start getting your questions in right now.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 12:44
12:55 We've got some great questions in queue for Matt when he gets in, make sure to get yours in now!

Wednesday March 9, 2011 12:55
12:55 REMINDER: Even though there's no NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race this weekend, SPEED and FOX are still your home for NASCAR all weekend long.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 12:55
12:56 SPEED is your home for the Camping World Truck Series race this weekend at Darlington. Make sure to tune in Saturday at 5 p.m. ET for live coverage.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 12:56
12:57 And on Sunday, make sure to tune in to FOX for a special 1-hour never-before-seen look at the 2011 Daytona 500.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 12:57
12:57 Co-produced by Emmy Award winning NASCAR Media Group and FOX Sports, “The Daytona 500: The American Dream” will be a one-hour documentary special delivering fresh and never-before-seen footage from Trevor Bayne’s historic run to Victory Lane.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 12:57
1:04 Hey fans, Matt is running a few minutes behind. Keep sending those questions in - he'll be online shortly

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:04
1:08 Matt Yocum: Hey everybody, appreciate you stopping by on the off week. This is our first off week of the year. But you know how much I enjoy doing these so I appreciate you logging on and joining us. Let's start rolling.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:08 Matt Yocum
1:08 [Comment From Billy Billy : ]
Is Trevor Bayne the real deal?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:08 Billy
1:09 Matt Yocum: I think back to when Mark MArtin would go on and one about Joey Logano being the next "real deal." I think Trevor Bayne is the complete package, he just needs experience - and that's why it's good he's running with the Wood Brothers in Cup and Roush Fenway in Nationwide. I think people are going to be surprised at how well he is going to do. He reminds me more of a young Carl Edwards in many ways.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:09 Matt Yocum
1:09 Matt Yocum: And the coolest thing about him is that what you see is what you get. He is a genuine kid.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:09 Matt Yocum
1:10 [Comment From Dave Dave : ]
Should Carl Edwards been penalized for the out of control tire that left his pit box

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:10 Dave
1:11 Matt Yocum: Per NASCAR, extenuating circumstances was that the tire made it to pit wall and bounced off something. But according to them, this did not break NASCAR rules. This was different than Tony Stewart's air hose issue. Obviously, they are not going to play favorites. They haven't in six decades and won't start now. They have video replays and checked it out - although obviously there are lots of conspiracy theorists out there, but NASCAR checked it out.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:11 Matt Yocum
1:12 [Comment From Mikaela Mikaela : ]
How long do you think it will take pit crews to eliminate most the problems with new fuel can?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:12 Mikaela
1:13 Matt Yocum: That is probably the biggest topic in NASCAR right now. Who can capitalize quickest on getting a handle on the fuel can situation.

It cost Biffle the win in Vegas.

Teams are working on how to improve on this. Everyone expected there would be problems with the fuel cans. But there had been a sense of false security after Daytona and Phoenix, where teams did not have full fuel runs. But now with the off week, teams are working hard to figure out the issue and get a handle on it.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:13 Matt Yocum
1:15 [Comment From Christine Christine : ]
Common question that everyone wants to know: what do you think of the way Jr. is running, and how happy he looks/

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:15 Christine
1:15 Matt Yocum: Rick Hendrick hasn't won the number of races and championships by accident. He has already helped the 3 teams including Dale Jr's.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:15 Matt Yocum
1:16 Matt Yocum: I think what people have to give Steve Letarte...I know I know...Jr nation has been patient, but you have to give them a little time to work on their notebook and terminology.

The positives you've seen in the first three races are a good sign of things to come.

I think he and Steve are a near perfect fit

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:16 Matt Yocum
1:17 Matt Yocum: plus, Jr knows the pressure is on to produce....he's had 3 crew chiefs now at Hendrick...he's gotta make success.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:17 Matt Yocum
1:18 [Comment From Serdar Serdar : ]
How do you think the new NASCAR points system affects the way that other drivers challenge Jimmie Johnson for the championship?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:18 Serdar
1:19 Matt Yocum: I think the new points system, which I had questions about before the season started, is turning into a really good story line. I think you have to be even more perfect each week to be the champion due to the major hit you'll receive if you have a bad week.

I think it's one small reason why you've seen more aggressive driving...
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:19 Matt Yocum
1:20 Matt Yocum: There isn't the safety net....you can't have many bad weeks. I know Kyle Busch said he isn't worried, but if you use up your mulligans early - you gotta be spot on the rest of the way.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:20 Matt Yocum
1:22 [Comment From Serdar Serdar : ]
Yeah, just like I heard when I was watching the Vegas race, D.W. and the booth were talking about every driver racing for every single position which is great.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:22 Serdar
1:22 [Comment From Andrew Andrew : ]
Any idea why FOX is using their NFL music during the race? Also why do you think the ratings are up so far?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:22 Andrew
1:23 Matt Yocum: I think if you look at FOX sports or any other network, there is branded music that just spells FOX etc etc. Our Chairman David Hill thought it was a good idea to use one track of music for the various sports on FOX.

I like it....it gives you a big event feel...that this is important and you're going to witness something cool today on FOX.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:23 Matt Yocum
1:24 Matt Yocum: Andrew..concerning the ratings. I think it could be various things, hard to pinpoint one item, but the racing has been great in all three races with unique story lines, and I flat just like the look of the car again with the reworking of the bumper and lower front nose.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:24 Matt Yocum
1:24 Matt Yocum: Anyone from the Bubba Army on today with a question?
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:24 Matt Yocum
1:25 [Comment From jeff jeff : ]
There was rumored that Morgan McClure was returning this year,have you heard any updates if they are still planning a return or not?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:25 jeff
1:26 Matt Yocum: There was talk of MMM returning on a very limited schedule. I haven't heard anything lately...but with the number 4 going to Red Bull this year, I think says a lot about their future plans.

It's sort of weird to go Bristol each year without a car from Abingdon, VA in the lineup.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:26 Matt Yocum
1:26 [Comment From scott scott : ]
whose the biggest surprise of the year so far?

1:29 Matt Yocum: Plus, one final tidbit on the previous question....we've had an avg of 16 diff leaders per race in the first 3 Cup races...most EVER! Good sign of the competition.

Now onto your question Scott....biggest surprise...wow that's hard to say in the first three races. I think the fact that the 48 hasn't been the best team week in week out is a surprise. Trevor was a great feel good story, but the 24, 5, 88 have all picked it up a notch. When we have our next chat in a month, check back with me, that'll give more time for things to shake out.

A live poll is going on if Tony Stewart will win the championship or not. 57% yes & 43% no

1:30 [Comment From Aaron from Mn Aaron from Mn : ]
Tony Stewart is my guy. Was frustrated to see the race lost like that last week. Do you think he is a title contender this year? He usually don't run good until summer months and he has the lead now...

1:33 Matt Yocum: I think the first year (at Stewart Haas Racing) exceeded all expectations, year two was a let down but they pin pointed areas that needed attention. I believe this year, he'll be back to his 2009 form.

People want to put it on that he's lost weight or something, bottom line is...he is like a handful of other guys, they could drive a country squire wagon w wood on the side and win. He just needs the car to do it. I think the fact he ran so well on the 1.5 mile type track is a good sign..because that's one area I believe they struggled with last yr...if anything...leading the points and running well gives everyone at SHR a lot of confidence and momentum...

1:33 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]
who was Mark Martin driving for in the Nationwide race that he won last saturday?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:33 Guest
1:34 Matt Yocum: Turner Motorsports....the old Braun Motorsports
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:34 Matt Yocum
1:34 Matt Yocum: His crew chief was Trent Owens, who is Richard Petty's nephew

1:34 [Comment From Shirley Shirley : ]
You think Bristol will have a surprise winner this time?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:34 Shirley
1:36 Matt Yocum: Shirley if I knew that, I would have stayed in Vegas. Bristol is a much easier track since the reconfiguring, but at the end of the day, you'll have the same guys up front. 5 yrs ago I would have said give the Trophy to Harvick going in, but it's wide open now.

Are you looking for help with your Fantasy Racing League? LOL

46% yes to 54% no on a poll done for will there be a surprise winner at Bristol

1:36 [Comment From swamp rat swamp rat : ]
whats with robby gordon and nascar?

1:38 Matt Yocum: Swamp Rat...what do you mean? If you are referring to Las Vegas. He had a confrontation in the garage and NASCAR put him on probation until season's end.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:38 Matt Yocum

1:39 [Comment From Tom Tom : ]
What do you think of Danica? Will she be in Cup next year?

1:41 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]
I like the young wallace girl better

1:41 Matt Yocum: People have their opinions, but bottom line, you don't get to the top levels in motorsports by not having talent. I think she drove a great race in Vegas.

To answer your question, no she won't be full-time in Cup next year. I know she is looking at her future. I wouldn't be shocked to see her run more Nationwide races next year, then possibly reevaluate where she is on the her schedule...or at least that's what she has stated has been her intention.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:41 Matt Yocum
1:41 Matt Yocum: Gotta be honest....Stewart and Johnson didn't do much in Nationwide until after they got Cup deals.

1:42 [Comment From jon jon : ]
I think NASCAR should do some dirt track racing your thoughts...

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:42 jon
1:43 Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:43
1:44 Matt Yocum: Oh god Jon...I've been a fan of that idea for a long time. I see no reason why we couldn't race at a dirt track, except that there isn't one ready for a Cup race.

I know Stewart will say Eldora is ready. However, I'd love to see one any where whether it's Eldora or Springfield or Duquoine.

You'll see even more why these drivers are the best in the country.

POLL TIME: Should NASCAR go dirt racing

64% Yes to dirt & 36 no

:44 [Comment From jon jon : ]
Very true Yocum

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:44 jon
1:44 [Comment From cjh cjh : ]
Do you think Paul Menard can make the chase, or will slowly go down hill this year?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:44 cjh
1:45 Matt Yocum: CJH...I think one thing that impresses me about Paul Menard has been how smart he's driven the past 8 months. Paul has a crew chief that understands what he's trying to describe about the car and it's working.

:46 Matt Yocum: People can say that the first few races don't matter, but if you have a strong start then just maintain....history shows usually who is top 12 after Memorial day is going to make the chase.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:46 Matt Yocum
1:46 Matt Yocum: Paul would prefer an Ice race added to the schedule not dirt btw.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:46 Matt Yocum
1:47 [Comment From Shirley Shirley : ]
Do you think they should change the tracks up for the chase? Not use the same ones every year?

Should NASCAR change the tracks in the chase? Yes, no, or every other year

:48 Matt Yocum: absolutely....there needs to be a road course, 1 more short track race, and a dirt race...although the first two have a better shot at coming to fruition.

The simple problem is weather. We are limited on where the sport can go in the fall. But yes I'd love to see some different races moved in/out of the final 10 each year.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:48 Matt Yocum
1:48 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]
What do you think about Montoya's season so far?

1:50 Matt Yocum: I think he's had a good start but many times he's his own worst enemy. JPM is one of those guy whom you have to check back in on after race 10.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:50 Matt Yocum
1:51 Matt Yocum: We've had a couple big wrecks that have taken out big contenders in 2 of the first 3 races, he's been able to capitalize....but can he continue? Not sure.

Dutr poll 63% yes and 38% no.

Changing the tracks in chase 67% yes every year
25% every few years and 8% no

1:53 [Comment From Richy Richy : ]
Which nascar driver is most like to party with charlie sheen?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:53 Richy
1:54 Matt Yocum: If I would have said 20 yrs ago...Tim Richmond. Guy could have a good time and kick everyone's #### the next day. What a talent...and what a loss for the sport.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:54 Matt Yocum

1:55 [Comment From Guest Guest : ]
Have you heard any radio between martin and his new crew chief, does the combo seem to be working?

:56 Matt Yocum: MM fans....I think you will be pleased with the 5 team in 2011. Rick Hendrick's team shuffle will help Mark in many ways. The biggest he told me was with a new team it puts you on your toes and makes you better. I've already seen it. My prediction....2 wins in 2011...at least.

1:57 [Comment From Mike Mike : ]
Do you think Ricky Carmichael will move up next year.

POLL CHANGE on will Tony Stewart win the championship is now 55% yes to 45% no

1:59 Matt Yocum: Mike...RC has made a big jump from one discipline to another...bikes to cars/trucks. He's done a good job but Ricky knows that he'll have to pick it up a little before moving up. Not sure if you meant move up to Nwide or Cup but he needs to win a couple in Trucks first.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 1:59 Matt Yocum
1:59 Matt Yocum: Great guy...awesome with the fans...I hope he can knock off a win or two this yr.
1:59 Matt Yocum: Plus, he has a great luggage carrier named JH...if you see a bald guy with him, please say you heard that he's RC's luggage guy.
2:00 [Comment From Tim Tim : ]
Hey Matt Just got to the Chat. I listen to Bubba and its always great when your on talking about racing. Any plans to go back on the show anytime soon?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:00 Tim
Hey Matt Just got to the Chat. I listen to Bubba and its always great when your on talking about racing. Any plans to go back on the show anytime soon?

2:02 Matt Yocum: Bubba and I talked about that in Daytona. I've been jammed up with west coast races, but I'll get with Mr H and Bubba about doing something soon. He was parked next to me at Daytona...I was bustin' on his little son Tyler about having a girlfriend since he's a national champion quarter midget driver....he was adamant that he was solo. LOL
Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:02 Matt Yocum

POLL TIME Pick a side, Conway or Gordon
29% for Conway while 71% for Gordon

Dirt racng poll in NASCAR changed a little 64% for every yr
29% for every few yrs while 8% say no

04 [Comment From Rod Rod : ]
Any idea what the health of RMP these days?

Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:04 Rod
2:05 [Comment From Tim Tim : ]
Very cool hope to see you on more. But I live here in Tampa and race karts. Remember one night when Bubba rented out the kart track for the radio crew. Tyler took his 1/ midget out. He's pretty good.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:05 Tim
2:06 Matt Yocum: Well Rod that is a good question.

On track, things appear to be ok, not sure what is going on behind closed doors. I know the new owner ...read that "the money guy"...is pretty excited about the sport. To come from near ruin after the Gillette fiasco, you have to give them time for their business model to work. They had an impressive lady running things over there. I expect good things especially since the RFR cars are doing so much better this year too.

2:08 [Comment From Kelly Kelly : ]
Hey Matt, what are you doing this off weekend?

2:09 Matt Yocum: Kelly... I'll be watching the truck race and drag racing on TV.

Dirt racing in NASCAR poll is dropping 61% yes and 39% no

2:10 Matt Yocum: I think it's great that Kurt Busch is drag racing this weekend. He's been passionate about it...put a ton of effort into it. It's just different because usually guys go run dirt races or short track races on off weekends....Kurt's decided to do some straightline stuff. It's awesome

POLL Changes:
Tony Stewart winning the champion ship is now 50/50

Changing tracks in chase is 63% every yr
31% every other yr
6% no

Conway has 41% votes to Robby Gordon's 59%

:15 Matt Yocum: Ok to wrap up our first chat of the year. We've had a ton of 88 and 14 questions. It's hard to answer each one. I will say this....Dale Jr jumped into our escape from Vegas. He was laughing and smiling with Mike Davis and the rest of his posse inside the SUV. I haven't seen that in a long time. I think that's a good sign Dale Jr knows things are looking up for him with Letarte.

As far as Stewart goes, I'm told he gave a great talk to the team in the hauler after race.

Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:15 Matt Yocum
2:15 Matt Yocum: He was very impressive trying to keep the team up concerning the disappointment of not winning.

15 Matt Yocum: He was very impressive trying to keep the team up concerning the disappointment of not winning.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:15 Matt Yocum

2:17 Matt Yocum: The tracks coming up should be a good tell tale sign where they stand in 2011....both have won races for the most part on the next batch of tracks. I think it's great when a driver finishes second...leads most laps or close to it...and he's mad about not winning. That's old school.

I have to pick kids up from school now. Will leave live chat on to see if I can finish copy pasting chat in here to finish blog off. Well, they just ended conversation.

:19 Matt Yocum: My buddy Jorge says we have to wrap up our first chat of 2011. Sorry for the tech issue at the beginning on my end . We'll be back here next month.

You can follow me on Twitter (@mattyocum) and FOXSports.com, where Jorge has put us all to work on selected pieces for 2011. So have a great off week....we'll see in Bristol.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:19 Matt Yocum
2:20 FOXSports.com: Thank you very much Matt, and thank you fans for all your great questions this week!

2:21 FOXSports.com: As Matt mentioned, he'll be back next month. But before then, we'll have several NASCAR on FOX faces doing live chats in the coming weeks. And Matt himself will have a preview column before next week's Bristol race.
Wednesday March 9, 2011 2:21 FOXSports.com
2:21 FOXSports.com: Make sure to stay logged on to FOXSports.com for the latest NASCAR news!

Poll Final Tally:

Dirt Racing In NASCAR?
Yes 55%
No 45%

A Surprise Winner At Bristol?
No 63%
Yes 37%

Tony Stewart Wins Championship?
Tied 50/50

Changing Chase Tracks?
Every Yr 61%
Every Other Yr 33%
No 6%

Conway vs. Gordon:
39% vs. 61%
Last edited by Smoke14Wins on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Live Chat Now 1:22 PM

"I believe this year, he'll be back to his 2009 form."

Yeah baby! A serious contender for the title this year!

GO SMOKE!!
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500

Return to The Lobby