FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

TALKING ABOUT CARS FROM YOUR YOUTH OR CURRENT!

<<

ndunn

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: TALKING ABOUT CARS FROM YOUR YOUTH OR CURRENT!

This was THE thread of threads: I want to thank chevy39fan, Michaeljohn, Beaverpond, cslonewolf and midewesternsmoke for participating by comments of your cars and the pics. It just made my day as I'm a lady of the 50's and just loved the cars. My dad had an early Mustang after he retired and was stopped frequently on I -94 for speeding. My father-in-law had a 59 Plymouth that looked like a boat with fins called a Fury and I loved to drive it. Now I love the Ferrari but I think $275,000 is a tad out of my budget but I can dream can't I......
Thanks again guys this has been a real treat..
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

chevy39fan

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 pm

ndunn wrote:This was THE thread of threads: I want to thank chevy39fan, Michaeljohn, Beaverpond, cslonewolf and midewesternsmoke for participating by comments of your cars and the pics. It just made my day as I'm a lady of the 50's and just loved the cars. My dad had an early Mustang after he retired and was stopped frequently on I -94 for speeding. My father-in-law had a 59 Plymouth that looked like a boat with fins called a Fury and I loved to drive it. Now I love the Ferrari but I think $275,000 is a tad out of my budget but I can dream can't I......
Oh those cars from the 50's ndunn! :D
Attachments
1959_Plymouth_Fury_003_5370.jpg
1959_Plymouth_Fury_003_5370.jpg (71.26 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
Last edited by chevy39fan on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:01 pm

1986 Monte Carlo.jpg
1986 Monte Carlo.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

This was my favorite car in school. a 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo w/ t-tops that did not leak. It had the 305 under the hood. It was state police blue. You remember these. You crawl up on another vehicle and people could not tell the difference between me and a state trooper in it.
<<

chevy39fan

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:10 am

beaverpond wrote:
The attachment 1986 Monte Carlo.jpg is no longer available

This was my favorite car in school. a 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo w/ t-tops that did not leak. It had the 305 under the hood. It was state police blue. You remember these. You crawl up on another vehicle and people could not tell the difference between me and a state trooper in it.
Nice BP! I remember those Monte Carlos. :D

Here in Ohio we use white Crown Vics as cruisers for OSP(Ohio State Patrol). They were grey for many years but to many officers were getting killed by not being seen. There are a lot of "wanna be" look alike white Crown Vics running around on the highway with all the antennas. Cracks me up what folks will do..........

OSP has a all new light package too. All blue now instead of the red/blue with all radar antennas mounted aside the light bar. Ohio hasn't used "radar guns" in many years. Don't need them when you have the laser gun!(fish in a barrel) But, you can only use laser guns will being stationary. They do not work while moving!
Attachments
POHOSHP062-vi.jpg
POHOSHP062-vi.jpg (201.27 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 am

When watching out for the police in this state...you will be fooled every time. Sometimes they show as an F-150, Ford Mustang, Ford Crown Vic, Ford Taurus, Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban, Chevy Siera 1500, Chevy Camero, Chevy Caprice, Dodge Durango, Dodge Charger. Some of these are Fwd, Rwd, AWD, 2wd, and 4wd not to mention varying different colors. Some are clearly marked and others are unmarked. Our newest radar equipment is built into the light bar on the top of our town's cruisers.
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 am

chevy39fan wrote:
ndunn wrote:This was THE thread of threads: I want to thank chevy39fan, Michaeljohn, Beaverpond, cslonewolf and midewesternsmoke for participating by comments of your cars and the pics. It just made my day as I'm a lady of the 50's and just loved the cars. My dad had an early Mustang after he retired and was stopped frequently on I -94 for speeding. My father-in-law had a 59 Plymouth that looked like a boat with fins called a Fury and I loved to drive it. Now I love the Ferrari but I think $275,000 is a tad out of my budget but I can dream can't I......
Oh those cars from the 50's ndunn! :D

The car my father-in-law had was turquoise. It was so bright one could see it coming. When it was parked in their drivway it filled the entire space. Wow I miss thos v-8's and the power they had. Only one thing wrong was no seat belts.........
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:28 am

beaverpond wrote:
1986 Monte Carlo.jpg

I don't remember this car. As for the state police in Michigan I think they've had the navy squad car for years. One would know it was the state police because of the color of the blue. No other cars were the same blue. I'm not sure the make of the car but crown royal sounds familiar. One thing that I like during those fabulous years were each brand had it's own look and colors. Now if a color is liked one year all car makers do the same. We had 2 different G6's (which I really liked) and the color was liquid silver. After the first year all car makers were using the same color.

<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 am

beaverpond wrote:
1986 Monte Carlo.jpg

'
Last edited by ndunn on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 am

Oh, Oh, Oh, I can beat that...My father worked for a company that supplied him with a company truck that was bright yellow. You could see him coming in the dead of night when fog was thicker than pea soup. The thing practically glowed in the dark. He started of with a Ford Ranger, then it was a Ford F-150, and then 3 Chevy 1500 series pickups. We all swore that we would paint everything on the house or in the house that resembled a shade of yellow to some other color. With the exception of the Ranger they all v-8 engines.
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 am

I have a question. Who was the maker of the Mark 4? I believe it was produced some time in the 60's. It was my uncles car and he let me drive it. It was so comfortable one could drive it for hours without getting tired. The worst car my husband ever bought was called an Arrow. The car was so bad that the company should have been sued for putting junk on the market. It did have redeeming value tho as the gas milage was fantastic and my husband could tune it up.

<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 am

Crown Vic Wagon.jpg
Crown Vic Wagon.jpg (163.68 KiB) Viewed 1127 times

This is the wagon that we used for hauling the camper around when we were kids, but ours was a bluish silver color. I also had this car for being tortured in on my drivers test at 3:00 in the afternoon in downtown Kennebunk on July 3rd on Route 1 with more than 5000 cars per hour. I had to park this car behind a pickup with its tailgate down and be within 12 inches of the curb on the first try.

I grew up in a very rural area where you are lucky to see 5000 cars in a week. So it was kind of nerve wracking at the time.

Lincoln made the Mark 4, ndunn.
<<

chevy39fan

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:18 pm

beaverpond wrote:When watching out for the police in this state...you will be fooled every time. Sometimes they show as an F-150, Ford Mustang, Ford Crown Vic, Ford Taurus, Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban, Chevy Siera 1500, Chevy Camero, Chevy Caprice, Dodge Durango, Dodge Charger. Some of these are Fwd, Rwd, AWD, 2wd, and 4wd not to mention varying different colors. Some are clearly marked and others are unmarked. Our newest radar equipment is built into the light bar on the top of our town's cruisers.
Ohio has many different cruisers as well. Different posts use different cars depending upon the terrain of the area they are policing! :D

Ohio uses X,K,Ka,Ka super wide radar unites mainly in R/F Hold(instant on). Using R/F hold helps them get radar detector users. They use a lot of the much older band X.......why?.....I have no clue. :?
<<

BlackFlag

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Here's my car from my youth and it's still current. I've had my 1970 Mustang Mach 1 Mustang since 1986. I bought it not long after I got out of the Navy. It's got the 351 Cleveland engine.
I don't drive it much in the summer 'cause it's like driving an oven around town.

My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:45 pm

1982 Ford Mustang

Just seeing this car again gives my wallet the shivers! LOL

Mine was dk blue, not red ... but there the money eating machine is... in all it's "New Ford Technology" glory. I hated this hand-me-down car and was stuck with it for years. Every time it broke down, I prayed it would be the last... but the dang thing kept getting fixed!! I wasn't the original owner, so the original engine was blown & long gone. What I had left was a skeleton, replaced engine and a carb that had pieces only made by one man, who worked once a month and shipped, using the slow boat from China. The T-tops ( factory installed ) leaked, the engine constantly over-heated and massive, massive carb problems & timing chain problems.

I worked in a Ford dealership and had Ford Factory certified mechanics that could never figure that thing out. Moving back to Cali and adding smog? Another, clueless nightmare for mechanics and even DMV.

After the timing chain went for the 4th time... I gave it away - U-Haul - to a friend who donated it to his son's auto class in high school. He showed it to me, months later... and it was almost unrecognizable!!! The class had completely re-did the WHOLE car!!! He also told me that the auto class teacher called Ford directly... and after explaining what he ( teacher ) had - Ford's advice was to "scrap the entire inside of the hood and start all over... and above all else... throw away that no-good carb!" :-D

Ok, OK... I will admit... it WAS fast and sporty ;-) I called it "My 82 Blue"

Anyone else knick name and talk to their car? Or is this just another one of those.... "No... only you" type things again.... LOL
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks Beverpond for letting me know the Mark 4 was a Lincoln. I loved that car. I would loved to have owned that car. My first car was a 49 Ford. It was a used car and the emphasis is on used. But it got me to the dirt track on Sundays to watch racing.

PreviousNext

Return to The Lobby