FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

That Fire Still Burns

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 pm

That Fire Still Burns

I've seen some people, not surprisingly, who are bashing Tony for being angry after the race, especially as he took the point lead. My stance is that the point lead three races into a 36-race season means as much as the Kansas City Royals winning opening day (in other words, nothing).

Thing about it, though, is that Tony's anger and frustration, actually renewed me being a fan of his. Not that I was slipping any, but I had wondered if that fire of his had started to go just a little bit. Yesterday proved it hasn't, and it really made me feel good to see him that fired up and angry about it. He still wants it as bad as anybody - and more than most - and that is great to see.

I think we're looking at the favorite to knock off the 48 this year, that's no sure thing, Johnson might not have set the world on fire but that about like the Yankees losing on opening day (again, doesn't mean a thing). Wait until it counts, but right now, I'm excited about the prospects for our guy and that No. 14 Office Depot/Mobil 1/Burger King/Coca-Cola/El Monterrey/US Army/Bass Pro Shops/Ritz Crackers/Haas Automation Chevrolet team.

Yes that was my Mikey Waltrip imitation.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Smoke_14

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: That Fire Still Burns

Tony had every right to be mad. I was mad and really smoke put it in perspective. The day of the race it hurts but the next day the team will be happy with their performance. Overall SHR is coming out of the box strong and I'm pleased with that.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm

I thought he was nicer then has been in older ones (like at Loudon in 2005 when he lost to Ryan). He is a RACECAR DRIVER he had the best car he has ever had at SHR (he led more laps at Atlanta last year but the 11 and 99 were able to pass him at times on Sunday NO ONE could pass him flawless car), I would be pretty #### too. If he had struggled all day and finished second he would have been happy but after leading 163 laps nope.

There are 33 races left I'd love to see him eight maybe ten races if this performance keeps up to make up for the three he could have won.

I think with his talent and experience a third championship is on the way.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

SmokeFan14

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 pm

I didn't see anger, but a a burning frustration. There wasn't the sarcastic flying knife blades of years past, just a simple venting of frustrations.

Good finish, and the makings of the beginning of a good year.

Still a good steady year for Smoke, and a long way to go for he and the team.
"Where there's Smoke, There's Racin'!"
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 pm

I agree that the fire (desire to win) is still burning in Tony.

And as we all know, where there is fire... there is SMOKE!
Last edited by HiddenHollow on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Smoke14TS wrote:I've seen some people, not surprisingly, who are bashing Tony for being angry after the race, especially as he took the point lead. My stance is that the point lead three races into a 36-race season means as much as the Kansas City Royals winning opening day (in other words, nothing).

Thing about it, though, is that Tony's anger and frustration, actually renewed me being a fan of his. Not that I was slipping any, but I had wondered if that fire of his had started to go just a little bit. Yesterday proved it hasn't, and it really made me feel good to see him that fired up and angry about it. He still wants it as bad as anybody - and more than most - and that is great to see.

I think we're looking at the favorite to knock off the 48 this year, that's no sure thing, Johnson might not have set the world on fire but that about like the Yankees losing on opening day (again, doesn't mean a thing). Wait until it counts, but right now, I'm excited about the prospects for our guy and that No. 14 Office Depot/Mobil 1/Burger King/Coca-Cola/El Monterrey/US Army/Bass Pro Shops/Ritz Crackers/Haas Automation Chevrolet team.

Yes that was my Mikey Waltrip imitation.

that was a good take, im glad you put that in perspective about it only bein 3 races in, im not being negative but we see what a team is made of in those long summer months and they race 17 weeks in a row, now the good thing for the 14, he usually starts of slow, so i can see why some might get excited
<<

tonysgal

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm

yeah, that fire still burns in that man. i was so frustrated for him sunday and i knew he was even more so. he will be ok and he will get it right. they have started the season pretty good and he will get things corrected.

love my Smoke

tg
the nice things about race cars is some days they're awesome and some days you can't find your ####- Donny Schatz
<<

NASCARNan

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 pm

I agree (it was frustration and fire within to win). Tony is a racer, all racers are there to win!

Go Smoke, we are behind you! No critisim from me!
NASCAR Nan
<<

jamo14

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:21 am

I wasn't frustrated. So many times in endurance racing, the car that leads the most laps rarely wins. Too many pit stops, timing of pit stops (fuel mileage), double file restarts, green-white-checkers, drafting partners, lucky dogs, wave-arounds, splash-n-go's, other team's pit strategies, day into night races, weather changes, gambles on adjustments, and wrecks that change the game.

So basically, I don't get too excited until the last 30 laps of a race 8-)
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

muskrat3

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 am

I thought it was great to hear him not be satisfied with 2nd and to not fall back on the standard old "well it was a good points"
Please get mad, and be real. We all that it sucked to have the fastest car, and to know that it was your race to win or lose.
BUT... I also can't help but wonder, If Tony doesn't realy get going until the summer months....What do we call this stretch? and should the other teams start being nervous now?
I would rather be hated for who Iam the Loved for What Iam not
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:32 am

I see how well Tony is doing now and how well Ryan is doing now...if they keep this up, SHR is going to be a TEAM to recon with this year. It would be a blast to see Tony take the Championship and Ryan come in second. This is my dream.

It is still early in the season. There are still 33 points races ahead of us. We have a long way to go.

Ryan got into his prime later than usual last season. Tony was running up and down in the fall. He needs to stay consistant and that may mean more pit stops for fuel, more for right side tires at different tracks, ect... and this applies to both of them.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 am

beaverpond wrote:I see how well Tony is doing now and how well Ryan is doing now...if they keep this up, SHR is going to be a TEAM to recon with this year. It would be a blast to see Tony take the Championship and Ryan come in second. This is my dream.

It is still early in the season. There are still 33 points races ahead of us. We have a long way to go.

Ryan got into his prime later than usual last season. Tony was running up and down in the fall. He needs to stay consistant and that may mean more pit stops for fuel, more for right side tires at different tracks, ect... and this applies to both of them.

Consistency is KEY over the course of the season!
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:27 am

There still is passion in Tony and I was glad to see it. I'm sure he wasn't going to say "I raced by rear end off and led many laps and I'm thrilled to be the first loser." No I don't think so.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

peanut1439

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:47 am

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart are known for their racing success and explosive tempers.

Most every problem on the track is followed by a profanity-laced rant, a tantrum and, in Busch's case, a meltdown right in the car that has at times prevented him from making a strong finish. Then came the sulking and scowling. If they even bothered to give interviews, the answers were usually short and snippy.

It was boorish behavior, but tolerated. Nothing was going to change NASCAR's two biggest bad boys.

Until, that is, they changed.

Busch and Stewart seem to have mellowed this season. That was never more apparent than Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Both had a chance to win, and neither did.

Busch was done in first by a flat tire, then a blown engine. He was running second when he got his flat, had to stop for a new tire and disagreed with his crew's decision to change only two and not all four. That's where Busch would typically unload on crew chief Dave Rogers, working himself into a hysteria that could have derailed his race.

Instead, Busch simply scolded Rogers. He then calmly offered advice when a caution moments later gave them a chance to salvage the setback. A blown engine 10 laps later, however, ended his day at his home track, where wins mean the most to him.

As Busch climbed from his disabled car, the race streaming around him, viewers braced for his reaction. If he didn't stomp away from the cameras, his interview would likely be a bitter one.

Then, for the second time in two days, he was a total pro.

"I've been blowing tires, mowing grass, knocking walls down and setting balls of fire down the backstretch in both races this weekend," he said. "It might be good just to get out of here and come back and try again next year."

Then came Stewart, who led a race-high 163 laps and had the field covered at one of only two active tracks where the two-time champion has never won a Sprint Cup race. After falling short in the Daytona 500, then losing because of a late caution a week earlier in Phoenix, he finally seemed headed to Victory Lane.

Then a rare mistake on pit road - he pulled the air hose tangled in his fender out of his stall as he sped off - brought a damaging penalty. He went from the lead to 24th place. He drove his way back to 16th and needed a two-tire decision by crew chief Darian Grubb on the next caution to reclaim the lead.

But there was one more pit stop, and that tire strategy meant he'd have to change all four the next time. Only the entire field had watched him pull away with just the two tires, and most every crew chief now planned to copy that strategy.

That final four-tire stop was a long one. But because so many others took two, Stewart found himself behind Carl Edwards and Juan Pablo Montoya on the final run. Stewart could only catch Montoya and settled for second.

He was, as expected, hot on his team radio, and warned of an immediate discussion how they'd just given away a race for a second straight week. But he bottled that anger when he climbed from his car, and all the public saw was a disappointed driver dealing with his third loss in three weeks.

"It kills me to throw a race away like that," he said. "When the emotion dies down, we'll look back and say it was a great weekend, but man, it does not sit good right now."

And that was about it.

There was no explosion, no belittling of reporters' questions and no need to tiptoe around either driver.

So what's happened to NASCAR's two firecrackers? And, more important, will it last?

For Busch, the answer could simply be that he's growing up.

He got married during the offseason, which perhaps gave him some serenity. He's also settling into his second year of owning a Truck Series team, and last year's rocky first season taught him how to deal with sponsorship issues, financial problems and a new level of responsibility.

But he's also finally aware of the popular opinion that the only thing that's prevented Busch from winning a Sprint Cup title is Busch.

All those outbursts on his team radio, all that on-track bumping and banging with competitors, and all those times he lost focus in the race car really only hurt one person - Busch.

It seems as if the light is finally on, and Busch is trying his hardest not to be his own worst enemy anymore.

Stewart's not as simple. He was always able to succeed despite himself, relying on his immense talent to overcome his outbursts and moodiness. But it's been five years since his last championship, and the wins are far harder to come by at this stage of his career.

His many business ventures have made him a team owner, track operator, race promoter and just about everything else involved in professional racing, and that's created a desire to keep things smooth and stable.

Stewart now sees that life is much easier when he's not making it hard on everyone around him. Plus, he turns 40 this year and is aware of the impending milestone. Still single, he longs to have children and create his version of the perfect family. He's tired of riding that roller coaster - charming and funny one minute, brooding and mean the next - and understands he's the only one who can change that.

It's far too early in the season to declare either driver a truly changed man, but both are certainly trying. And while everyone may miss their entertaining explosions, both will likely find their new approach will make life easier both on and off the track.

Gooooooooo SMOKE
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

tonysgal

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:18 pm

good story peanuts. as he said one time, he picks his battles now. he will be fine.

tg
the nice things about race cars is some days they're awesome and some days you can't find your ####- Donny Schatz
Next

Return to Tony