By Bob Pockrass
Saturday, March 05, 2011
Gordon has been placed on probation for an altercation with driver Kevin Conway.
LAS VEGAS – NASCAR has put Sprint Cup driver/owner Robby Gordon on probation following an incident with Kevin Conway in the Las Vegas Motor Speedway garage area late Friday afternoon.
Neither Gordon nor Conway would talk about the incident, but Conway said he had filed a police report about the incident – giving the indication that it was physical – and said all comment would come from the police or NASCAR. Gordon said he couldn’t comment because of the legal issues that already had existed between the two.
Las Vegas police Officer Barbara Morgan told The Associated Press that Conway filed a misdemeanor battery complaint and police will interview any possible witnesses before turning the investigation over to the Clark County district attorney in Las Vegas for a decision on whether charges will be filed.
Conway, who is driving in the Nationwide Series for Nemco Motorsports at Las Vegas, was not put on probation by NASCAR.
“Robby’s been put on probation – we’ll let everybody know for how long on Tuesday,” NASCAR Vice President of Competition Robin Pemberton said. “This doesn’t give Conway a free pass, either.”
No NASCAR officials witnessed the incident, Pemberton said.
Conway drove for Gordon in seven races last year and they are involved in lawsuits with each other – Gordon has sued Conway sponsor Extenze in California while Conway has sued Gordon in North Carolina.
Gordon said Saturday that Conway is asking for $27,000 in money from winning the NASCAR Sprint Cup rookie award from last year. Gordon said Saturday that he would pay Conway once he gets the $690,000 from Extenze.