FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Well we know why if he has a bad race...

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Well we know why if he has a bad race...

46 is the new 46 :idea:
I miss you Frehley........
<<

osoblu

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:14 pm

We went through this crap last year as he was travelling around the country dirt racing with his dead weight girlfriend. When he stopped the dirt racing and concentrated on his cup car he won. This year he said he'll be racing 50 dirt races. I just hope someone at SHR has the balls to tell him when they feel that the dirt racing is interfering with his cup duties. I still feel that last year it was Darian Grubb and thats why he's gone.
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:19 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:All I gotta say is..... ;) 41 ISN'T the NEW 25 :lol: :P

hahaha... Maybe he can get some supplements... JK :twisted:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:31 pm

osoblu wrote:We went through this crap last year as he was travelling around the country dirt racing with his dead weight girlfriend. When he stopped the dirt racing and concentrated on his cup car he won. This year he said he'll be racing 50 dirt races. I just hope someone at SHR has the balls to tell him when they feel that the dirt racing is interfering with his cup duties. I still feel that last year it was Darian Grubb and thats why he's gone.

He does have 3 wins and that's with his dirt racing. I don't think anyone tells Tony what to do since he's basically his own boss. WTH, he just won last week and now his dirt racing is a death sentence for his championship hopes? Whatever... Tony is Tony and he's going to do what he wants. He made up his mind to get his 3rd championship last year and that's what he did. And I personally don't think Grubb contributed that much to it. Listening to his in-car, he was making most of his own calls on changes to the car. He "willed" himself to that championship. IMHO

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Tony knows what's best for Tony. And he says that running the dirt cars helps keep him sharp. I, for one, would never argue with someone that has accomplished what he has in 41 years... That's all I'm sayin' 8-)
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:11 pm

grubb was the fall guy for last yr, took all the heat, just like they tried to do to him today with denny.
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:32 pm

michaeljohn wrote:grubb was the fall guy for last yr, took all the heat, just like they tried to do to him today with denny.

I was listening to Denny's HotPass just before that last pit. It was a classic case of misunderstanding. Darian took the fall for that but it was both their fault since neither said 4 tires or 2 tires, just "tires". I think what mixed them up the most was about how quickly his grip went away. Darian figured he wanted 4 because of that. When they interviewed Denny after the race, he didn't put it all on Darian. He said they had a miscommunication and they'd work on it. I felt bad for both Denny and Darian, but even though you could tell Denny was disappointed, he didn't throw Darian under the bus. At least not from what I heard.
<<

osoblu

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:25 pm

I agree that Tony willed his car the last 10 races of last year to win the championship. And I believe in the the last 10 races with the exception of the last pit call Grubb had little to do with these 10 races. But to be clear this was all done after he stopped his extra curricular dirt racing. His mind was sharp and clear. He was focused.

Just this past week at the Blaney's track, Sharon Speedway Tony "flipped wildly" according to their pr (http://www.sharonspeedway.com/2012/07/1 ... e-in-mods/) Friday night at Eldora Tony slammed into another driver (http://www.whowon.com/sResults.asp?Sanc ... yID=326840). Luckily he wasn't hurt or killed. We don't always know what's good for us. If it were up to me I'd have a huge bowl of choc choc chip ice cream every nite. But then I'd have a Kardashian #### and it wouldn't be pretty. Fortunately I have a spouse who is firm yet kind about limiting my ice cream intake.

Gibbs didn't like Tony running dirt, Hendricks put a limit on Kahnes dirt racing. These 2 owners know more than us and I'm sure that limiting the drivers to the amt of time they get to play in the dirt is more than just a playing god factor.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Mr H doesnt mind if you race on the weekend, but as soon as it starts to hinder the cup ride, he will put a stop to it, and as he should, when you have big time sponsors to answer to, you dont want your drivers do anything to take away from that. at the end of the day it is about the sprint cup trophy. i remember back in the mid 90's Mr H told Schrader to stop his racing on the side, because he was running so crappy in cup, now i dunno if it was the side racing that was holding Schrader back, but Mr H put a stop to it, and that was the last yr Schrader ran for HMS. at the end of the day, i dont really care what any driver does, but its a topic worth debating and to see if it has any merit.
<<

RaceFreak1429

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 am

I would like to preface this by first admitting that I am a dirt fan first, NASCAR second and I love that Tony runs the dirt schedule that he does (especially the sprints), so I am probably a bit biased on this subject. However, I don't really understand how him racing on dirt causes the team to miss the setup on the Cup car. At least to me, it's seemed like the races they've struggled at have been weekends where they just haven't really found a balance or handle that works for the car throughout the weekend, not just raceday. I'm not trying to point fingers or place blame for that nor am I denying the fact that the extra flying and racing could cause him to be less rested. I just fail to see how him watching a major event at his own track (which he owned well before becoming co-owner of SHR) could be pinpointed as the single cause of a bad run. It's not as if he's skipping out on practice time and qualifying to run the dirt races, so he's not taking time away from the Cup car. And as far as him being worn out, don't forget Tony won the #### race at Chicagoland last year the day after he had a migraine, which, speaking from personal experience, can be very draining.

In regards to the sponsor issue, I think it's worth noting and considering that both Mobil 1 and Office Depot sponsor his sprint car. Now maybe I'm wrong, but to my way of thinking, they wouldn't sponsor something that they don't endorse.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the topic and strictly my own opinions.
Racing is the source of what little sanity I possess, despite how crazy it makes me 8-D

Smoke: "I'm more nervous on the white flag leading a World of Outlaws race than in the Daytona 500" - July 7, 2012 @ Lernerville Speedway
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:15 am

I love all the people here who think they know what is best for Tony...
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:22 am

Smokeshow14 wrote:I love all the people here who think they know what is best for Tony...

You are so right! Tony is Tony and he will do what ever he wants, whether or not you like it..... Trust me he doesn't care.......I have noticed one thing this year he does that he never did before.....Every practice he is the first car on the track.. :) I like it! :mrgreen:

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

tonycrazy

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:01 am

RaceFreak1429 wrote:I would like to preface this by first admitting that I am a dirt fan first, NASCAR second and I love that Tony runs the dirt schedule that he does (especially the sprints), so I am probably a bit biased on this subject. However, I don't really understand how him racing on dirt causes the team to miss the setup on the Cup car. At least to me, it's seemed like the races they've struggled at have been weekends where they just haven't really found a balance or handle that works for the car throughout the weekend, not just raceday. I'm not trying to point fingers or place blame for that nor am I denying the fact that the extra flying and racing could cause him to be less rested. I just fail to see how him watching a major event at his own track (which he owned well before becoming co-owner of SHR) could be pinpointed as the single cause of a bad run. It's not as if he's skipping out on practice time and qualifying to run the dirt races, so he's not taking time away from the Cup car. And as far as him being worn out, don't forget Tony won the #### race at Chicagoland last year the day after he had a migraine, which, speaking from personal experience, can be very draining.

In regards to the sponsor issue, I think it's worth noting and considering that both Mobil 1 and Office Depot sponsor his sprint car. Now maybe I'm wrong, but to my way of thinking, they wouldn't sponsor something that they don't endorse.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the topic and strictly my own opinions.

PERFECTLY SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tc

<<

ndunn

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 am

When will the day come that Tony is a wind up toy that does everything perfectly? The public has no authority to tell what Tony does or what he doesn't do. A suggestion now and then doesn't hurt but it isn't up to the public. Since when does a stranger know what is good for Tony or isn't good? Actually his fans are just a bit out of line if they figure he should win every week. I just pray nothing happens to him and that he is pleased what ever he does. I have no interest in who he dates, what he does with his money or what he does off the track all I want is the kid is happy. Tony raced for someone else his entire career and now his only person to please is Gene Haas. I think from what Gene has had to say he has done that. Yes I know all about NASCAR, sponsors etc. He does just fine with that. Just read between the lines and you'll find the real Tony just like you would the other drivers.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Tonycrazy already beat me to it. ;)
There was nothing slack on Tony's part Sunday.

Plus Tony doesn't fly his own plane, so he has time to sit back & try sleeping as it's in the air. Any sleep on the plane is better than none.

He talked about drivers keeping fit to race in these hot cars on hot days. Tony......he races. He said that's how he keeps fit. That's all he's done his whole life, so it's not a total shock to his system when he goes all out here & there. You can bet he sleeps when he gets the chance to. If it gets too much, he'll back down, he's not stupid. Eventually Cup WILL come to a slow down where he's just a part time racer....so he can concentrate on his dirt racing once again. He's already said he's going to end his racing (or slow) & go back to dirt one day.

He made a statement once yrs ago he was surprised he was still alive. Yet he keeps on racing. It's how he wants to live his life & he's not going to change period.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:35 pm

<snicker>
PreviousNext

Return to Tony