FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

AJ was tested positive for a stimulant

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:50 pm

AJ was tested positive for a stimulant

Statement regarding Allmendinger's sample: a statement from Tara Ragan, Vice President, Walldinger Racing Inc., Charlotte, NC: "In an effort to help our colleagues in the media report on this in a timely and accurate manner, we wanted to provide some additional details regarding AJ's sample "A" test results. AJ tested positive for a stimulant. He has no idea why the first test was positive, and he has never knowingly taken any prohibited substance. AJ is collecting his medicines and supplements for testing to determine whether an over the counter product caused his positive test. AJ and all of us at Walldinger Racing respect NASCAR's testing program, and he has requested that his "B" sample be tested as part of the process of getting to the bottom of this. We will have the opportunity to review all of the scientific data surrounding the test following the "B" sample test, but our understanding is that AJ's test was slightly above the threshold. As of this morning, we have not been given notice of when the testing of the "B" sample will take place. Thanks again for all of the support of our fans, team, and sponsors as we continue working through the process."(Walldinger Racing)(7-11-2012)

Possible stimulants

Cocaine: Very likely, doesn't really do much to how you act except makes you an #### and focused. Also gives euphoria.

MDMA ("Ecstasy"): Doubtful he would want to roll before a race. Though seeing that this is a drug that creates tons of euphoria and the way his season is going. Hmmm. Doubtful the did this though.

Methylphenidate: Possible.

Amphetamines: Possible.

Methamphetamine: Possible.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: AJ was tested positive for a stimulant

Geez, I'm so tired of the posts condemning AJ before the truth is known. How would you like it if everyone thought the worst of you, without actually knowing you?

Here's a comment that "exiledknight" posted on the Fox Sports article that said the substance was a stimulant. Also, keep in mind that the positive was just above the acceptable limit. That seems to hint that it isn't an illegal substance, just more than they allow.

Below is the comment from exiledknight from Fox Sports:

"I am a retired pharmacist and in my years practicing, I helped many employees fight their employers random drug tests thru awareness of mixing OTC medications, drug interactions, and drug/food interactions. When NASCAR issues a statement, it should make all parties involved know what the suspected problem was. This would help identify the culprit and stop the onslaught of misinformation and speculation by fans and the media! Many drugs (both OTC and prescription) have stimulant properties and sometimes these manifest themselves in the presence of other drugs, from the over the counter category, to prescription medications, to homeopathic remedies and even in the presence of foods. Since we are a society that goes to many doctors who specialize in specific conditions, it is entirely possible that two doctors prescribed meds that were not compatible. Plus in this new era of supplements, energy products, weight loss products and supposed hormone adjustment therapies, there is a lot of "iffy" combinations contributing to a false positive! To sum it up, don't judge Allmendinger or NASCAR until all the facts are out and are evaluated by unbiased professionals. NASCAR needs a better system to monitor and report if this does indeed come back as an error in testing or an innocent interaction or incompatability"

I know you won't "give it a rest" so I'll just stop reading your posts.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:09 pm

i seen this story floating all day, also nascar says they will not give the results of what drug was used, if any...
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:18 pm

With all the energy drinks out there, nutritional supplements and who knows what else, they could have contributed to this. I don't know why NASCAR doesn't use two sources to test, so that if he came up as positive at one and negative at another.....then maybe it could be the lab..... This is someone's life, reputation and career on the line and they better get it straight..if he is guilty then he needs the book thrown at him, but if he is innocent, his life will be forever changed by some ones stupid mistake... :(

How many of us have had medical tests and had them retaken and found out the first one was wrong....false positive or sloppy lab work.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Rochelle wrote:Geez, I'm so tired of the posts condemning AJ before the truth is known. How would you like it if everyone thought the worst of you, without actually knowing you?

Who said that I am condemning him? Some amphetamines are legal you know right? I just listed the possible stimulants. What world do you live in?

Rochelle wrote:Here's a comment that "exiledknight" posted on the Fox Sports article that said the substance was a stimulant. Also, keep in mind that the positive was just above the acceptable limit. That seems to hint that it isn't an illegal substance, just more than they allow.

Below is the comment from exiledknight from Fox Sports:

"I am a retired pharmacist and in my years practicing, I helped many employees fight their employers random drug tests thru awareness of mixing OTC medications, drug interactions, and drug/food interactions. When NASCAR issues a statement, it should make all parties involved know what the suspected problem was. This would help identify the culprit and stop the onslaught of misinformation and speculation by fans and the media! Many drugs (both OTC and prescription) have stimulant properties and sometimes these manifest themselves in the presence of other drugs, from the over the counter category, to prescription medications, to homeopathic remedies and even in the presence of foods. Since we are a society that goes to many doctors who specialize in specific conditions, it is entirely possible that two doctors prescribed meds that were not compatible. Plus in this new era of supplements, energy products, weight loss products and supposed hormone adjustment therapies, there is a lot of "iffy" combinations contributing to a false positive! To sum it up, don't judge Allmendinger or NASCAR until all the facts are out and are evaluated by unbiased professionals. NASCAR needs a better system to monitor and report if this does indeed come back as an error in testing or an innocent interaction or incompatability"
No one is denying that it could have been a mix up. But how many times has there been a mix up concerning a drug test in NASCAR? None. It is clear that he tested for something. And apparently "just above the threshold. AJ gave a Barry Bonds response. To me this is Jeremy Mayfield over again.

Rochelle wrote:I know you won't "give it a rest" so I'll just stop reading your posts.

It is clear that you can't handle someone having an opinion different from yours so it is probably best that you stop reading my posts.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 pm

the drug test they use are very accurate, and as far as nascar end, they acted professional, keeping Aj's right to privacy, they did not disclose any information, they needed to do the news conference, and it wasnt to discredit Aj, what makes it worse is when media and the fans get a hold of it, all types of stories fly around out there, that is what does damage to a person's reputation, because it is more tantalizing to believe a rumor, than it is to believe the truth.
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 pm

I don't think there is a way to keep something like this quiet. A J failed a test period. Now it's up to the people who follow this speciman to see to it all care is done to see things are taken care of. It's the nature of humans to rant and carry on which is a shame but who has the power to stop rumors? It's drama and the public should give the right people a chance to do their jobs. Either he is cleared or he will be suspended like others have. I read where they are going to be careful on this one as he did plead no-contest to driving while impaired. I hope for his sake this is all one great big mistake.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 pm

I'd test positive too because I take 24 hr Claritin-D. That has one of the ingredients the meth making people want to use to make meth with.

But then Carl Edwards uses that stuff too.

:?
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:54 pm

The guys at Ageis are smart enough to know how other drugs mix with each other and what causes a false positive. And drivers are supposed to show what medications they are taking before a test so if something comes up they know what it is. Say if this is all a mix up this should be a lesson for Aj to not be so careless.

They asked AJ why he tested positive. I heard he had no explanation.

I will say the Jeremy Mayfield saga pointed out how flawed NASCAR's drug testing procedures are

It could be that engery drink he has been endorsing. Could be he was sick had some cough sryup and fogot to tell NASCAR. Or he took some meds and didn't say anything. Or he did drugs.

As for "oh he doesn't look like someone who does drugs". Go somewhere with that. Nobody though Shane Hmeil and Jeremy Mayfield were on drugs. You just never know.

Michael Shank the car owner who he won the 24 hours of Daytona with and is starting an Indycar team with. Maybe he will race in Grand am or back to open wheel?
RIP Dan Wheldon

Return to NASCAR & Racing