FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Chris Rock causes a twitter ruckus

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Chris Rock causes a twitter ruckus

Chris Rock draws fire for July 4 tweet about 'white peoples independence day'

By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

While Americans were watching fireworks displays and enjoying barbecues, Chris Rock was stirring up some fireworks of his own with a controversial July 4 tweet.

"Happy white peoples independence day the slaves weren't free but I'm sure they enjoyed fireworks," Rock tweeted.

Reactions came fast and furious, with some fans telling the actor/comedian they were now swearing off his films for what they considered an unpatriotic comment.

Wrote David Burge, "Good one! I bet your Guatemalan house staff got a good chuckle."

And Jeff Schreiber, managing editor of libertarian-conservative blog America's Right, tweeted "Slavery existed for 2000yrs before America. We eradicated it in 100yrs. We now have a black POTUS. ‪#Go (expletive) Yourself." Schreiber later followed up with, "I'm not saying we're blameless for that horrid practice, but for @chrisrock to indict the US as he did is inappropriate at best."

Yet some jumped in on Rock's side. Actor Don Cheadle retweeted Rock's message with a simple "Haha," which put Cheadle on some Twitter user's enemies lists.

Cheadle later jumped into the Twitter fray, debating the comment with others. "Where exactly is the bigotry in that joke? Who is the victim? 18th century whites?" Cheadle wrote in a later tweet.

Actor Zach Braff also joined the fray, tweeting, "Slaves weren't freed for another 90 years. So maybe just enjoy some of the fireworks..."

Politics flew fast and furious, of course. Bradford Jones tweeted back at Rock and Braff, "u bashed July4th as "White peoples independence day." Know who gave u urs? Republicans. ur welcome."

Rock, however, didn't seem to be bothered. His next tweet was about a potential New York Knicks trade. But one reader found a connection even there. Lincolntf wrote to Rock, "White men trading black men amuses you these days, eh?"

Chris didn't say anything wrong. It was the truth.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Re: Chris Rock causes a twitter ruckus

chris rock is an amazing talent and there is some truth to what he speaks...
I miss you Frehley........
<<

BlackFlag

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:15 pm

My reply to him would be:

Afro circus, circus, circus.... Afro circus, circus , circus.....Afro circus, circus, circus......

Afro circus, circus, circus.... Afro circus, circus , circus.....Afro circus, circus, circus......

My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:27 pm

coment removed cuz im a moron
Last edited by michaeljohn on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:38 pm

michaeljohn wrote:^^^^ looks like another person threatened by an intelligent black man...

I think that has something to do with the last Madagascar movie. I haven't seen it but Chris Rock voices the zebra and in that movie he was wearing the clown wig in the circus. That's my take on it. :D
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 pm

o fudge, how the heck i know, i dont watch those movies, my apologies BF, my brain is melted from the heat today...
<<

ndunn

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:34 am

Chris Rock must need a little attention for making a remark like he did. He has that freedom but so do we if we want to challenge his remarks.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Oh boy... a few thoughts....

1. I love Chris Rock and his humor - always have and always will, regardless if I agree with what he tweets or not.

2. July 4th was Independence from England for ALL... free people of color, included.

3. "White men" did not start slavery. It has existed since the days of the Bible and thru many ancient cultures of colors & religions around the world.

4. Many "slaves" still exist in our modern world today ... and no seems to care.

5. There weren't any fireworks to watch back then ( LOL )

6. Behind some or most biting humor is pain... sad to think Chris Rock decides to pick up this backpack of rocks ( slavery issues ) and carry it with him, when he can lay it down instead. The past is the past... and it's over. It can not be changed... the history of this country is what it is.

7. The Independence of America, to be free and say what you want without fear, gives Chris Rock the opportunity to tweet whatever he'd like to.

8. A woman in Afghanistan, accused of adultery was executed in public, by the Taliban recently. People cheered. She was used by the Taliban soldiers & then punished for it.

So glad I live in America, where I have rights.... :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:18 pm

This subject could get very heated if carried on too far. I'm going to put a little milage on it myself. There are sex slaves and that happens right here in the US brought in by illegal citizens as well as citizens. Does anyone care about the 11 years old girls that are taken away and sent into sex houses? Supposedly they are to provide their service until their transport is paid for. Same thing goes for people who think they are going to be housekeepers and end up being stuck in some kind of situation for years. This world has some terrible things going on so we hope some day that the nasty side of life will disappear. How is that working? Not fast enough.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Rock's mother tried to sue a Cracker Barrel here back in 2006. She claimed racism because she and her daughter had to wait for a server in a busy restaurant. If ANYBODY has ever been to the Myrtle Beach area in May, June, July, you KNOW how busy it is. This family seems to NEED attention even if it is negative. This was ridiculous in my opinion, it would be just like me suing the local pizza buffet because they told me I'd already eaten enough and weren't gonna let me eat anymore .... :?
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Being black I can really go into depths with this topic.

Slavery is one of this country's two biggest sins (the other being how the Native Americans were treated). While America won it's independence, the slaves were still working in the fields. IMO white people really don't have the right to be offended a comment like this. #### it was less than 50 years ago black people were getting lynched.

What he said was funny and the truth. I like Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle. They say the truth and use their humor to broadcast it.

Just because it happened so long ago doesn't mean it should be swept under a rug.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Rock's mother tried to sue a Cracker Barrel here back in 2006. She claimed racism because she and her daughter had to wait for a server in a busy restaurant. If ANYBODY has ever been to the Myrtle Beach area in May, June, July, you KNOW how busy it is. This family seems to NEED attention even if it is negative. This was ridiculous in my opinion, it would be just like me suing the local pizza buffet because they told me I'd already eaten enough and weren't gonna let me eat anymore .... :?

Lmao, this is the best logical reply I've ever read. I'm sure Cracker Barrel has been down that road before. For some reason they are a big target.

<<

chevy39fan

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 am

Chris can say what ever he wants according to our first amendment. We don't have to agree with it.

I never cared for Chris Rock when he was on Saturday night live. Some of his stand up is alright but mostly racially charged.(First amendment) Folks must want to hear about it I guess.

Dave Chappelle lives not all that far from me.(Yellow Springs) I find him to be much more creative/funny than Rock.

The white/black issue will never go away in my life time sadly. To many things have happened past present and probably future to let it go. Many feel it shouldn't go away and are making a pretty good living with the topic! We are all supposed to be equal. No race should have an advantage. But, everybody in America wants everything! How can this be achieved with so many ethnicity's?

This is a never ending very arguable topic full of all emotions. Ask a hundred people, you get about a hundred different answers.

I will let it go at that............ :D

Return to The Lobby