FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Andretti is considering forming NASCAR team

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Andretti is considering forming NASCAR team

One of IndyCar's biggest names could branch out to the Sprint Cup Series as Michael Andretti told SI.com that he is hoping to start a NASCAR team. "We were looking at NASCAR real close last year, too, but it fell apart," Andretti said. "We were looking at it just as hard last year as this year and the year before." If Andretti is able to find the right sponsorship, he could team up with Dodge and base his team out of the old Evernham Motorsports shop at the Statesville Regional Airport in Statesville, N.C. A Dodge source told SI.com that Andretti could probably team up with the engine manufacturer for $5 million to $6 million. That's because Dodge is losing its primary team in Sprint Cup at the end of this season as Penske Racing switches to Ford. Because of that, it is looking for a flagship team and Andretti could be a good fit, especially if it were to team up with Richard Petty Motorsports -- currently a Ford team paired with Roush Fenway Racing, but has a long history with Dodge. "I'm always looking at all options," Andretti said. "I'd be stupid not to listen to Dodge or any other manufacturers. It doesn't matter that we are a Chevy IndyCar team. It might be nice if it was all under one roof but, in our contract, we're a Chevy IndyCar team."(Sports Illustrated)(6-27-2012)

Hopefully this doesn't get ruined by a certain member again.
If this happens and Ryan and SHR don't work out, I can see Ryan going to Andretti.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Andretti is considering forming NASCAR team

You beat me to the post!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I have alot of friends in Mooresville and I really think this is a viable option for Matt Kenseth. From them, there are a lot of rumblings, especially from those looking for jobs. It is a little town where everyone knows everyone elses business and they love to gossip. The fact that Michael Andretti is looking at Everham shop with the possibilities of a NASCAR team, plus a hook up with Petty - Ford or Penske-Dodge are really good. Matt with his past championship provisional would be a perfect fit and his Ford background, plus the timing of all of this.......Good find SS14!!!!!

We will have to see how this plays out.......maybe something, maybe nothing......this would make more sense than Jack just dumping Matt. Maybe Ford is behind the scene...????

Actually they could give Kurt a call too! He would definitely be cheaper, and he has the past champion provisional.. Don't know if the Andretti's want to even go there! In the future Marco wants to try his hand in NASCAR...

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:17 am

That would be interesting if Kenseth went there. It is interesting too that when it is announced that Kenseth is leaving, Andretti opens up about thoughts on coming to NASCAR. Hmmm.

I could see Kurt Busch going there. It would probably be a step up from Finch's equipment.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:06 am

Supposedly the announcement of where Matt is going will come after Indy..........whose racing complex is in Indy??? Andretti......I think that Matt will be with Andretti, maybe in a Ford, maybe Penske Dodge or Chevy! Yes even a Chevy!!That is what they (Andretti) are using on the Indy cars now.... maybe a HMS connection.? John Andretti raced for Richard Petty in the Indy 500 , small Ford connection......Who knows ?? But things are falling into place on that line....purchase of Everham racing complex, quick decision announcement with Rousch and confirmation after Indy. It sounds like a great deal for Matt.....no matter where he goes, he will always be a great asset and they will be lucky to have gotten him. Racing for Andretti, priceless.

That is what is going around down here. Keep my ear to the ground.. :lol: :lol: :lol: I still would love to see him at SHR, he would be such a perfect fit. :) 8-) a few think it could be Gibbs ;)

If he doesn't get this ride, this might be something that would save Kurts career.. :|

I #Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 am

I don't picture SHR and Kurt with Kurt's anger issues. He is constantly being penalized for something and they need somebody who is calm cool and collected most of the time, not somebody who flies off the handle every other weekend.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 am

Beav, I don't think SHR has any intentions of hiring Kurt, I meant the Andretti deal... I wouldn't wish that on SHR for anything. Any way I hope not......

I #Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 pm

No way Ryan would go to Andretti & start a brand new team with a bunch of guys starting out in Nascar. You shouldnt believe that to even be a consideration.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:No way Ryan would go to Andretti & start a brand new team with a bunch of guys starting out in Nascar. You shouldnt believe that to even be a consideration.

So Andretti is good enough for Kenseth to maybe go there and not Newman? I think Newman is staying anyway (but is going to take a pay cut).
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:44 pm

If Newman was to leave, it may be a way to clean house including TG.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:28 pm

if ryan is to leave, there arent that many good rides out there to start, i can see him going with Andretti, and i think michael is smart enough to get people that are already in nascar, ya think the 39 team he has now is any better?
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:38 pm

michaeljohn wrote: ya think the 39 team he has now is any better?

Is that even a question? Most drivers would love to have his ride. Even with the cc he has he still wins every year and contends for the chase.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:09 pm

i feel that is a legit question, how many weeks have you seen ryan starting out great, then come time to make changes and he falls back, never to make it back up? personally if i was a driver i wouldn't wanna be 15 through 20 every week, but sometimes his talent saves him and he gets that top ten and some say that his mville win was a fluke, it is very rare that the whole team is in sync. The best drivers in nascar dont settle for wins, the fight for championships and when they talk, its about championships, if you dont have that mentality and wanna just settle, why race???
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:15 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i feel that is a legit question, how many weeks have you seen ryan starting out great, then come time to make changes and he falls back, never to make it back up? personally if i was a driver i wouldn't wanna be 15 through 20 every week, but sometimes his talent saves him and he gets that top ten and some say that his mville win was a fluke, it is very rare that the whole team is in sync. The best drivers in nascar dont settle for wins, the fight for championships and when they talk, its about championships, if you dont have that mentality and wanna just settle, why race???

I think most view the 39 as a rock solid ride. They do have the equipment behind so the potential to break out is there.

To say it is all about championships is like telling an actor that it is all about the academy awards. Are championships awesome? Yes. Can they define a driver? Yes. But in reality it doesn't make you any less of a driver for not winning a championship. Yes all these drivers go out to win championships. But the majority won't be the end of their career.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:23 pm

well see im not a racer, i dont have that mentality "just race" i grew up playing hockey in minnesota, and up their hockey is a religion and they train your brain to win championships, not just personal achievements, i was lucky to win a city championship and that was better then scoring a hat trick, dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with winning races and not getting a championship, but i think goals should be higher, and if their is a weak link on the team, and some say its TG, there should be a change, do you really think stewart would accept some of the miscues the tuna does? Also the start n park guys, why bother?? nascar should shorten the field so its going to people who are going to race, and not collect a check, and take that money and spread it out to the drivers who bust their butts for the whole race.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:30 pm

I have played hockey in the past (years ago) and it is alot like racing. Like I said every driver is out there to try to win a championship. But in this sport it seems like only five to six drivers win a championship every generation.

Yes every team should try to get better to get to that goal. But so many things go on behind the scenes. TG isn't still there for no reason. There is a reason he is still there. It could be because Ryan wants him there (which he has said), it could be something that we will never find out.

I am not the biggest fan of start and parkers. But I get why some do it. Look at the Tommy Baldwins of the sport. He started out as a start and parker and now has two fulltime teams. James Finch started and parked for a whole season in 2010 and even last year Landon Cassil started and parked for two races. It is a business model. The ones that #### me off are the ones that do it for the profit and never actually plan to race.
RIP Dan Wheldon
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing