FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What has happened to NASCAR's other bad boy.................

<<

Annalee

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 pm

What has happened to NASCAR's other bad boy.................

Robby Gordon has been busy since he scaled down his racing team #7. I think I kinda miss him........... :lol: :lol: .He did add a spark to the cup races. He is starting up a spin off of the Mickey Thompson Off-Road Race series. I think..... I like the idea he has. My husband remembers the series, I don't. But I did like IROC alot. The format is a little like IROC in that you are given the truck and you can make any adjustments and or improvements that you want, but next week you will not have the same truck so what ever you did to improve the truck stays on it, giving the new driver that advantage. What do you think? :?: :roll:

•Robby Gordon starting off-road stadium series AND: [Wednesday] night media industry, fans and supporters witnessed the first exhibition of Robby Gordon's commitment to taking off-road racing to the next level in 2013 with the introduction of Robby Gordon's Stadium Super Trucks Series. Modeled after the former infamous Mickey Thompson Off-Road Race Series, Stadium Super Trucks (SST) will astonish fans with dynamic side-by- side racing excitement that promises to leave them wanting more. "Stadium racing helped Jimmie Johnson, Casey Mears and myself launch our careers," said Robby Gordon, President of SST. "Bringing off-road racing back to the stadium like Mickey Thompson did has been something that I have wanted to do for a long time, and I am proud to say that we have finally accomplished it. SST offers attractive racing venues, remarkable track designs, substantial purse, and opportunity for network TV a lot like NASCAR because you can visualize the whole track." SST will kick off the season in April 2013 with a minimum 10-race schedule throughout the country and potentially internationally. There will be two events in San Diego and Los Angeles, and the remainder of the calendar will be announced on July 15, 2012. SST will be a 2-day event. Friday's events consist of qualifying to ensure local media coverage for Saturday's events. Action-packed Saturday's will start off with a fan expo and tailgating, side-by-side ATV heats, Bigfoot heats and finals, SST heats and then on to the main event. Trucks will be modeled after automobile manufacturer replicas and the SST trucks will consist of 600 horsepower V-8 engines, with 20 inches of wheel travel while racing on DOT approved tires exactly like the ones you can purchase and drive on the street. Racers will have the opportunity to win a $60,000 purse each weekend and the overall series champion will be awarded a $500,000 dollar prize at the conclusion of the season.(PR)
AND: Gordon, a former off-road champion, put his # 7 Sprint Cup team on hold in March because of a lack of funding. Hoping to fund his racing program through sales of his Speed Energy drink, Gordon has not attempted to qualify for a Cup race since Auto Club Speedway but does plan to compete on the road course at Sonoma in late June (Sporting News)(5-31-2012) Jayski
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: What has happened to NASCAR's other bad boy.............

I saw that yesterday. It is interesting to say the least. Robby's biggest passion has always been off-road and he does it pretty well. This will probably spark his "cheating" controversies but whatever (if ya ain't cheatin, ya ain't tryin...). I would watch this new series but don't know if I'd go see it. I like the trucks though, they look awesome! I like the Lucas Oil Off-Road series too, so I think the new series will draw those fans in.

Good luck to Robby in his new venture :!:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 pm

I think Robby may have grown up and dropped all the in your face attitude. He was on with Dave Dispane(sp) and what he had to say was interesting. Dave asked him several questions and he knew what they were talking about but didn't put out "that he knows it all". I hope he does suceed. He has worked hard and it's time things paid off for him.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Always liked Robby and he is fun to watch on the road courses as well as the one time he was in the Prelude.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:46 pm

I met him one time at an autograph signing--he was so friendly and stayed until every single person got what they wanted signed
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 pm

As long as he stays away from NASCAR I wish him the best.

He did give a good interview on Dave Despain.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:As long as he stays away from NASCAR I wish him the best.

Sorry to disapoint yah,but Robby is running in the Sonoma race and i'll be pulling for him.The only problem Robby had was he wanted to win every race w/o realizing you have to be able to finish one first. :mrgreen: Robby is one tough sob and he can back up what he says,unlike some drivers who just run their mouth to whom i care not mention.Robby may not have made it big in Nascar,but it doesn't mean he isn't a good driver.Robby is awesome on dirt and road courses of nASScar,first time at the Prelude he finished second to Tony and never ran a late model before.
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:49 pm

He is great road course racer, who has a lot of talent whether he is on dirt, concrete, asphalt etc. He can drive anything and in many ways his talent mirror's Tony's. I wish him all the best.!!
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm

wolfgang wrote:

Sorry to disapoint yah,but Robby is running in the Sonoma race and i'll be pulling for him.The only problem Robby had was he wanted to win every race w/o realizing you have to be able to finish one first. :mrgreen: Robby is one tough sob and he can back up what he says,unlike some drivers who just run their mouth to whom i care not mention.Robby may not have made it big in Nascar,but it doesn't mean he isn't a good driver.Robby is awesome on dirt and road courses of nASScar,first time at the Prelude he finished second to Tony and never ran a late model before.

Yeah I know he said it on wind tunnel I was so #### :evil: .
Robby is like Juan Pablo Montoya. He has talent, but he is such a bonehead. He screwed himself when he left RCR to start his own team. I have a nick name for him Robby "I'm gonna wreck em" Gordon 8-) .
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

palino_s

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:
wolfgang wrote:

Yeah I know he said it on wind tunnel I was so #### :evil: .
Robby is like Juan Pablo Montoya. He has talent, but he is such a bonehead. He screwed himself when he left RCR to start his own team. I have a nick name for him Robby "I'm gonna wreck em" Gordon 8-) .

He is older Vickers version.. He screwed also his IndyCar carrier.. Last years he was fighting, cheating a badmouting others..
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:27 pm

wolfgang wrote:

Would you agree that part of Robbys problem with his cup rides was his temper? It seems he just couldn't keep quiet and listen to what his owners had to say. Wasn't Rick Hendricks the last guy he drove for before he financed his own car? Those two personalities would clash.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:50 pm

ndunn wrote:
wolfgang wrote:

Would you agree that part of Robbys problem with his cup rides was his temper? It seems he just couldn't keep quiet and listen to what his owners had to say. Wasn't Rick Hendricks the last guy he drove for before he financed his own car? Those two personalities would clash.

He actually drove for Childress. Childress is probably the only car owner that could understand Robby. But Robby ruined that for himself and left to start is own team. He was pretty much a wrecker IMO. Had a temper that he couldn't even control. Biggest hot head in NASCAR probably.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

palino_s

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:He actually drove for Childress. Childress is probably the only car owner that could understand Robby. But Robby ruined that for himself and left to start is own team. He was pretty much a wrecker IMO. Had a temper that he couldn't even control. Biggest hot head in NASCAR probably.

He was very talented racer, but he killed his carrer, because he was doing everything.. In CART he was good and he finished in top5 standings (1994 and 1995) and won 2 races (I think Phoenix and Detroit) for Walker.. Next 4 years he raced in CART, NASCAR and off-road and he screwed his IndyCar carrier..

He is biggest jerk in NASCAR.. His former IndyCar owner A. J. Foyt said about him: "He wil be great driver, but he needs cut his tongue." It is true, for example: this year he critized Terry Labonte, because Terry used past champion provisional in Daytona.. Ironically, Terry finished on lead lap, in top20 and he led three laps.. Robby made start and park.. He is hypocrite..
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42

Return to NASCAR & Racing