FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Swearing in Public

<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Swearing in Public

Middleboro,Ma.has passed a new law that swearing in public will earn you a $20 fine.When the media asked the local police what the particulars are,they had no comment.I'm wondering just where the gray area is and how do they intend to inforce this so called law? Thought it was a joke at first,but according to the media it's for real.Wonder how many times you can swear before it becomes a felony? :lol: What's the world coming to?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Swearing in Public

there is all ready talk that this law will be shot down, we as americans have the freedom of expression and to have a law saying we cant say the f word is unconstitutional. freedom of speech baby!
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 pm

Well that is F**ked up.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Well I remember way (way way) back, when I was in High School. A situation just so happened as I was taking American Govt. That morning I was told to watch my language (as if I were going to get in trouble)
Well my next class was American Govt. When I strarted reading my book, I came across something that said something to the effect of "no rule or law shall contradict the Constitution of the United States"

I took the book to the teacher that threatened me & made a big deal out of this (I just like a good debate ;) ) We went around & around over it, where finally they knew I was right. Their rule wasnt legal LOL.
So they just smiled & said can you just watch your language. I said sure, & walked off victorious :mrgreen:

So long story short, there is no way in #### this law stands up against the constitution! I feel so strongly about that. That I would want to be the 1st guy to get a ticket from this law, so I could make a big deal about it! :P
ImageImageImage
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:05 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Well I remember way (way way) back, when I was in High School. A situation just so happened as I was taking American Govt. That morning I was told to watch my language (as if I were going to get in trouble)
Well my next class was American Govt. When I strarted reading my book, I came across something that said something to the effect of "no rule or law shall contradict the Constitution of the United States"

I took the book to the teacher that threatened me & made a big deal out of this (I just like a good debate ;) ) We went around & around over it, where finally they knew I was right. Their rule wasnt legal LOL.
So they just smiled & said can you just watch your language. I said sure, & walked off victorious :mrgreen:

So long story short, there is no way in #### this law stands up against the constitution! I feel so strongly about that. That I would want to be the 1st guy to get a ticket from this law, so I could make a big deal about it! :P

Yeah....get a ticket and then tell the cop to go stuff a f*cking donut down his throat :shock:
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 am

Of course the freedom is there but I think what is the problem is the fact government is telling us just one more thing they are taking control of. I have a bigger problem with telling us what we have to provide our family at meal time. I still think parents aren't as stupid as they are shown to be. If a person doesn't know how to make out a grocery list and then prepare meals then find those places that teach the very thing they don't know how to accomplish. There are extentions from Agriculture in every state and all they have to do is ask. That is what Social Workers are for. They just have to stop using McDonalds as meal planning.

I'm not crazy about listening to swearing but I'm not the one making a fool out of myself. There is a thing called class. The notion of making a rule or a law to me is being treated like a 4 year old who has learned a few new words and mom and dad don't want him to repeat it.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Here's a story I found -

link - http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/2012-election/middleboro-massachusetts-bans-profanity-swearing-carries-20-fine#

Submitted by Michael Allen on Jun 12, 2012

The town of Middleboro, Massachusetts has approved a proposal from the town’s police chief to impose a $20 fine on public profanity, by a 183-50 vote by residents.

The town also approved of a $300 fine for smoking marijuana and fines of $20-$50 for disorderly conduct, reports the Patriot Ledger.

Middleboro Police Chief Bruce Gates did not list any swear words, but said the fines would come down to police discretion.

He added that swearing fines would not be given to people cursing inside a sports bar or someone randomly yelling one out loud in frustration.

After pushing for the law, Police Chief Bruce Gates told the Patriot Ledger: “I don’t see an issue, we have a lot of things to do. This is not a priority.”

The town also voted against a proposal that would require voter ID by a 106 to 78 margin. Voter ID laws have bene shown to disenfranchise voters, especially minorities, the elderly and the disabled.
Last edited by smokieonefour on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:33 pm

What's disturbing AGAIN... is the police discretion. No set rules, just up to a cop and his discretion.

DAM! Sounds like a California law.... except for the $300 fine for smoking pot. ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:Well that is F**ked up.

hahaha... I got to give this one to ya ss14 8-)

I have been known to have a "potty mouth" at times but I do try to be aware of my surroundings, not because I care what people think (to each his own), but because I try to be considerate of others. I think that's because of how I was raised. Yes, there is freedom of speech, but come on, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. A little respect goes a long way. Do I think this law is right, f* no. Anything left to an officer's discretion is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Perception is the key and that's way too ambiguous.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm

I can see it now

Cop: Schmoop heres your ticket.

Schmoop: takes ticket "thats BullImage

Cop: heres another ticket

Schmoop: thats Imageup

Schmoop: are you Image kidding me?

Schmoop: how many Image tickets is that now?

Cop: heres another ticket.

Schmoop: Holy Image Image are you ever gonna stop?

Cop: Heres two more tickets.

Schmoop: he do you guys give any Image credit plans to pay these tickets?

Cop: hang on a second I ran out of paper need to get more tickets so I can write you your citation.

I can see this law getting expensive real fast LOL :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:58 pm

The first eighteen years of my life i grew up in this town,don't believe i could afford to live there now. :lol: Wonder if they will have special forces to catch the offenders,like maybe no smoking in public areas where i still don't see any signs of the smoke police.
Swearing is more of a moral issue and a reflection of yourself,a law that says you can't makes me laugh.Mariquana may be illegal,but unless you had enough to be considered a dealer it never use to be an issue.The town has grown much larger than i knew it in my teens and alot of outsiders have moved in and even built homes on swamps.The police dept is just about all new hired from outside the community as the rest retired.The life of me i can't figure this one out,every time i try to i laugh!
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:08 pm

In our state, any citation that is written by the police department the money goes into the state's general fund even if it is for enforcing a local ordinance. However, if it is the code enforcement officer then that money stays in town. Figure that one out.

So whenever we create an ordinance we do so in such a way that only the CEO can issue the citations for the local ordinances.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...

Return to The Lobby