FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ok Drag race fans.

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Ok Drag race fans.

I dont know all the politics behind drag racing. But I watched Ron Capps Shatter the national record, but now it doesnt count, because he didnt back it up with a certain time on his next run.

How do you discount a record run with a legal car?

Makes us peeps that dont follow Drag racing to much what the "real" fastest times are. Since now that I just watched someone break the record, only for it to not be counted as the record.

Anyone out there explain this senario & why it is the way it is?

If I was Ron Capps, I would claim I had the fastest time ever, myself.
ImageImageImage
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: Ok Drag race fans.

Consistancy is how the game is played,unlike Nascar whom doesn't even know the meaning of the word in anything they do. ;) Consider Rons first run luck,if it wasn't he'd of been able to follow it up his next run close to the last one,best i can explain it to you Moopy.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:50 am

wolfgang wrote:Consistancy is how the game is played,unlike Nascar whom doesn't even know the meaning of the word in anything they do. ;) Consider Rons first run luck,if it wasn't he'd of been able to follow it up his next run close to the last one,best i can explain it to you Moopy.

I guess it still doesnt make sense to me.
How can the national record (which is one run) not be the fastest run on record?
ImageImageImage
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 am

He still has today to get it.
If he cant then it will not hold.
Last edited by duffygoofy on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:39 am

wolfgang wrote:Consistancy is how the game is played,unlike Nascar whom doesn't even know the meaning of the word in anything they do. ;) Consider Rons first run luck,if it wasn't he'd of been able to follow it up his next run close to the last one,best i can explain it to you Moopy.

Thats right Wolf!! CONSISTANCY!!!!!!!
ImageImage
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:37 pm

duffygoofy wrote:

Hey Duffy,nice to see you're around again.
<<

jamo14

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 am

it may have something to do with the fact that they only race for 1000 ft, and have done so for a few years now (not 100% certain how many years they have done this,but this is at least the 2nd year for it).

Like all sports, they change the rules a lot, and I never know all of them
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

jamo14

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:52 am

or maybe because it was during qualifying, and not eliminations.

"Capps will open Sunday's eliminations at historic Old Bridge Township Raceway Park against journeyman racer Bob Bode. He needs a time of 4.004 seconds or quicker in eliminations to certify his time as an NHRA national record, which carries a 20-point bonus."

so he didn't have to repeat the time, but had to be close to it I guess
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

duffygoofy

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 am

wolfgang wrote:
duffygoofy wrote:

Hey Duffy,nice to see you're around again.

Ive been around Where u been? As if i didnt know. :lol:
ImageImage
<<

A2Zmama

Post Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Long time NHRA fan here, I'll give this a stab.

For all of the 25 years I remember watching racing, there was always a 1% backup rule for a national record. That is for ET and speed both. It is to prove the run is not a fluke. Now, a lot of these really fast/quick runs ARE, because each race has one qualifying session held on Friday evening when the weather is cool and the track gets really good. This was the case with Capps. Only Friday night's awesome conditions could help create that run. Too warm and sunny the rest of the event. The 3.964 win be the QUICKEST run (until, well, it's not), but it's only a record if it's backed up. That also applies if run during qualifying or eliminations. Your 1% slower run has to come anytime during the event....ie, if they run late Sunday night and you lay down a monster pass. Capps could run *quicker* than the 3.964, and have it be backed up by the previously run 3.964.

Make any sense?
Just because I'm a family raising, meal cooking homemaking wonder, doesn't mean I'm a desperate housewife.

Return to NASCAR & Racing