FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kurt Busch could end up at JGR?

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri May 25, 2012 4:55 am

Kurt Busch could end up at JGR?

Could Kurt Busch join brother Kyle at Joe Gibbs Racing? #51-Kurt Busch is a free agent, and his brother, #18-Kyle, already drives a Cup car for Joe Gibbs Racing. While it might sound like a stretch for JGR to employ two brothers as drivers, it's not out of the question. JGR has room to add a fourth team, and if sponsorship is found, team owner Joe Gibbs wouldn't rule out the possibility. But he also said it has to be the right sponsor. "We love Kurt, mainly because of Kyle and Kyle has got a strong feeling for him," Gibbs said following the unveiling of Toyota's 2013 Sprint Cup car. "Kurt's kind of going through a process with everything he has got going right now. Everybody throws everything out there. We do have a fourth car possibility at some point. But we haven't seen that yet (come to fruition)." The older of the two Busch brothers, Kurt is driving for Phoenix Racing in Cup this year and for his brother's Kyle Busch Motorsports in an 18-race Nationwide schedule. "He could really helps us and lead us in the right direction," Kyle Busch said. "I'd love to have him over here. It would be great for Joe Gibbs Racing and for us to work together and to be able to make better racecars, faster racecars." JGR wouldn't necessarily need a fourth Cup team to add Busch. #20-Joey Logano's contract is up for renewal after this season in a car co-sponsored by The Home Depot and Dollar General. "He's 21 years old," Gibbs said. "He's one of the youngest guys out there. He's stepped up this year to 15th in points. That's been an improvement but he's still not where our other two cars are. That's the goalget him to where our other two cars are. & We have a lot invested in Joey. We really like him."(Sporting News)(5-25-2012)

Wow. I think most forgot one thing. That it sure helps having a brother vouch for you. I am sure Kyle is telling Gibbs that "Kurt can win in one of our cars ya know." But would Home Depot really want him?
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 25, 2012 6:12 am

Re: Kurt Busch could end up at JGR?

gibbs is a class act, he wont waste his time with kurt while kurt continues to act out, even during weekend interviews, and that being said home depot wont want a person like him representing their company, they will lose customers, as i stated before, the 51 had a sponsor for the whole year in 11', may not have been a big time sponsor, but it was one, this year they are piecing races together, and most of the sponsorship is coming from MR H.
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

palino_s

Post Fri May 25, 2012 7:38 am

I write again..

I think Gibbs wants full Busch brothers lineup..
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

ndunn

Post Fri May 25, 2012 11:12 am

michaeljohn wrote:gibbs is a class act, he wont waste his time with kurt while kurt continues to act out, even during weekend interviews, and that being said home depot wont want a person like him representing their company, they will lose customers, as i stated before, the 51 had a sponsor for the whole year in 11', may not have been a big time sponsor, but it was one, this year they are piecing races together, and most of the sponsorship is coming from MR H.

Your right Michael. Home Depot won't mess with Kurt. They were very unhappy with Tony at one point when he was about to get fired from JGR and said in no uncertain terms unless he got anger management they no longer wanted to sponsor him. Tony got the message and called everyone together and made a dart board of himself. Zippidelli was tired of bailing him out of his problems. Tony has said in interviews he was embarressed but needed to hear what everyone had to say. Now if Kurt would just think about it he still has a chance to turn things around but the shelf-life will expire soon and he may just be a one champion has been.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri May 25, 2012 5:35 pm

1st off we will hear all kinds of silly season stuff from writers right now. Everyone wants to guess 1st, so if they are right they can say you heard it hear 1st. Honestly Logano may not even lose his ride.

2nd thing I have to agree with those that mention Home depot.
Dont think as long as they are the sponsor you will see Kurt as the driver.
Remember they are competing against Lowes, where they have the squeaky clean successful driver.
If Logano leaves I think it will be a call from Home Depot not so much from Gibbs. I do believe Gibbs likes Logano, so if the sponsor demands a change, I cant see the sponsor wanting Kurt in the car, even with his talent.
I mean you never know in this sport, but I do know we will hear a lot of silly season stuff this year, with all the drivers that can be possibly moving. Most of the stuff we hear this early is most likely opinions of writers more than any facts or thoughts from the actual teams.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri May 25, 2012 6:32 pm

It all depends on a few things. Can Kurt change and will Home Depot give him the chance to change?

If it were up to Gibbs, I think that they would keep Joey. But Home Depot is forcing their hand to make a change unless Logano performs like the 18 and 11.

Home Depot fined Tony Stewart and almost walked away. So they don't mess around. Especially when their competitor is sponsoring mr.perfect. Would Home Depot want someone who is worse? I think them mentioning with the right sponsor could also indicate that Home Depot isn't interested in Kurt. But there is a fourth car option like they said.

This is going to be a long silly season.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

Annalee

Post Fri May 25, 2012 8:40 pm

palino_s wrote:I write again..

I think you are right! Monster Energy as a sponsor, not Home Depot! Gibbs sees a potential and if someone can turn him around it would be Joe Gibbs.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Sat May 26, 2012 1:26 am

I didn't think of Monster. Now they actually like Kurt Busch. If Monster will go with him, then he can go wherever he wants to go.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat May 26, 2012 1:41 am

Annalee wrote:
palino_s wrote:I write again..

I think you are right! Monster Energy as a sponsor, not Home Depot! Gibbs sees a potential and if someone can turn him around it would be Joe Gibbs.

thing is. Home Depot isnt leaving JGR & no team is gonna kick a sponsor out. So if Monster comes on with JGR for Kurt it would be in a 4th car, not to replace Joey. Which is what the story is insinuating.
ImageImageImage
<<

palino_s

Post Sat May 26, 2012 5:00 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Home Depot isnt leaving JGR

Seriously, who knows.. JGR havent full sponsorship for this season (only 26 races) from Home Depot.. Dollar General is sponsor #20 for another 12 races..

After last year final race, I read one rumour: Maybe Home Depot wants back with Tony from 2013.. I think it is nonsense..
<<

Annalee

Post Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Since Mr.Nardelli left Home Depot, they have cut way back on their sponsorship in NASCAR. They haven't been in Victory Lane for at least three years and I can't remember when the Home depot car lead a lap. No bang for the buck! Can't blame them for looking elsewhere! Plus the real Home Depot winners were Tony and Zippy! I would say they weren't getting their money's worth with Joey. It was Zippy who told Joey to stay out, that got him his only win in cup. I had heard sometime last year 2011 that HD was interested in Tony again.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

palino_s

Post Sun May 27, 2012 5:55 am

Annalee wrote: Can't blame them for looking elsewhere! I had heard sometime last year 2011 that HD was interested in Tony again.

I dont blame them.. I hope it is true, but I dont believe..
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Sun May 27, 2012 3:31 pm

If HD sponsors Tony again, will they put out a calendar like OD did for 2011 & then didn't for 2012? The 2011 calendar had a page with all of 2012 on it. That's where my copy has been since Jan. 1.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK

Return to NASCAR & Racing