FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Are you a................

<<

onerockindoc

Post Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Are you a................

Doomsday Prepper? Do you know any? What do you think of them? If you are what is your best tip?

I have seen the TV show on them....yikes. Hard core to say the least.

On our local radio station yesterday they have started a radio program dedicated to the cause. It is on Sundays on 700 am ksev in Houston. 1-2 pm Houston time. Give a listen on the internet if you have an interest in this provocative subject.

I think I know someone who is a prepper....she has hoarded food and water for years but naive old me...just thought she was a bit strange. Little did I know she was preparing for the end of the world as we know it.....and she intends to survive.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Are you a................

onerockindoc wrote:Doomsday Prepper? Do you know any? What do you think of them? If you are what is your best tip?

I have seen the TV show on them....yikes. Hard core to say the least.

On our local radio station yesterday they have started a radio program dedicated to the cause. It is on Sundays on 700 am ksev in Houston. 1-2 pm Houston time. Give a listen on the internet if you have an interest in this provocative subject.

I think I know someone who is a prepper....she has hoarded food and water for years but naive old me...just thought she was a bit strange. Little did I know she was preparing for the end of the world as we know it.....and she intends to survive.

I think if it isnt putting you out of a house or Home, more power to them. Whatever gives you piece of mind.
ImageImageImage
<<

ndunn

Post Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 pm

i just can't believe I'd want to try and survive on expired shelf life food or water. If the "big bang" is coming to an end I'll go with it.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

tonycrazy

Post Mon May 21, 2012 11:25 pm

ndunn wrote:i just can't believe I'd want to try and survive on expired shelf life food or water. If the "big bang" is coming to an end I'll go with it.

I with ya on this one.....the planet would not be livable ...life as we know it would be gone...i mean really? who really wants to live on a planet w/ no vegetation, animals (for food purposes) and more than likely none of ur loved ones....that is no life...ur stash would be like putting a target on ur back to those who did not prepare and survived it...it would be a terrible place to "exist" and i use that term instead of live....cuz that would not be living....

i think i'll take my chances and go LIVE in eternity w/ my maker....just sayin :)

tc

<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Tue May 22, 2012 6:49 am

I think this event that's to happen on 12/21 is a hoax anyway. It's claimed it happened before, before humans. Well if that was the case, then there wouldn't be any animals left on Earth. Besides, that isn't how I was raised how the Earth will be ended anyway.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

jamo14

Post Tue May 22, 2012 8:48 am

well, I didn't buy a dozen generators in December 1999, and don't think I'm gonna stock up on essentials this time around either. Who's to say the Mayan who made the calender wasn't a prophet, and he just happened to keel over and die when he got to Dec 21 2012? Or maybe his wife was a nagger, and she made him stop and spend more time with his family :lol:
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 am

if and when doomsday happens, spending thousands of dollars is not going to stop the will of god, plus i have been hearing these doomsday terrors since i was in 1st grade, FEAR was a for the nuns and the priest at school to get us kids to go to church.
<<

Annalee

Post Tue May 22, 2012 11:13 am

ndunn wrote:i just can't believe I'd want to try and survive on expired shelf life food or water. If the "big bang" is coming to an end I'll go with it.

AMEN! What kinda of life would that be?
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue May 22, 2012 11:57 am

Doomsday preppers arent prepping for Dec. 21st.
There are a whole host of reasons they prep for. All different reasons. Havent seen where they were prepping for the end of the world yet. What would be the point in that?

Oh & by the way The Mayans believed everything is a circle.
So I dont believe even if you went by their calander, they were saying it to be the end.
Where we typically think 1,2,3,4 & thats it, Mayans would say 1,2,3,4 .....1,2,3,4 & so on....
They used the stars to build their calander, so after Dec 21st, how do you know the Mayans just dont start over at the 1st day of the calander. Since they think of everything as a circle. How do we know the stars dont cycle back around to whatever their 1st day of the calender says, thus completing the circle.

Their Calander was just larger than ours. After Dec. 31st our world dont end. We go to Jan 1st.
Last edited by Schmoopy1000 on Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 pm

...all I need is a few juice boxes, some fire crackers, the timing chain off a '69 Boss 302 Mustng, 4 back copys of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue and a spork...and I'll OWN 'dis bisch... ;) 8-)
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue May 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Schmoopy is dead on right, in what he writes above.

The Mayan calendar IS cyclic - meaning it keeps on going - there is no end to a circle.

Also... the Mayans created two calendars - Long count and Short Count. Without getting into all the math and astronomy...there are 2 calenders - one based on time elements and one based on astronomy.

Together they make no sense - separate, they become scary.

It's also interesting to note, that the Mayan calendar that says the world will end on Dec 21st has two interesting facets. The "end" as for told relates to a fifth world created and ended by angry Gods. Anyone believe in that? There are also "monsters" - "ghosts" and un-named animals in the Bak'tun 13... anyone believe in a sea serpent?

The Mayans did not know how to interpret a "pole shift" that is due on 12/21/2012. Their astronomers found it out, but did not know how to interpret it.
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Link - http://kdvr.com/2012/05/13/whew-recently-discovered-mayan-calendar-goes-beyond-december-2012/

Whew! Recently discovered Mayan calendar goes beyond December 2012

Posted on: 3:07 pm, May 13, 2012, by Web Staff

National Geographic Mayan Calendar

(CNN) — Nestled in the deep trenches of the Guatemalan rain forest, at the largest-known Classic Mayan site, Xultún, scientists have uncovered the remnants of what appears to be the earliest known Mayan calendar and murals.

Contrary to popular myth, Mayan experts have known for a long time that this calendar is not a countdown to the end of the world on December 2012, the study researchers said in a press conference to reporters.

The Mayan used a series of cycles to track time in which there were 13 baktuns each representing a 400-year chunk.

Researchers of the study say rumors surrounding a projected apocalypse on December 21, 2012, is a misconception. It is just the benchmark when a cycle of 13 baktuns will be complete and a new cycle begins.

“There was a lot more to the Mayan calendar than just 13 baktuns,” said archaeologist David Stuart of the University of Texas, who worked to decipher the hieroglyphics found on the walls of a house, dating back to the early part of the 9th century (813 A.D.-814 A.D.).

“The Mayan calendar is going to keep going for billions, trillions, octillions of years into the future,” added Stuart.

Archeologists working in the region stumbled upon these ruins back in 2010, while exploring the site of Xultún. They say the artifacts were well preserved in a never before seen house-like structure, which appears to be a workspace for Mayan scribes.

“It was actually my student, Max Chamberlain, who discovered to the Mayan house, while poking around a looters’ trench,” said William Saturno, lead author and archeologist at Boston University.

Due to the fluctuations in the wet and dry climates of the tropical regions in the rain forest, scientists did not expect these artworks to preserve well. At first glance, Saturno and his research team did not think their findings would amount to anything.

“Initially, when we went to verify this as a Mayan painting, all we could see at the time was a single red line on a really moldy, dilapidated piece of stucco that had been uncovered by looters about 30 years earlier,” said Saturno.

“In order to gain a better understanding of the dimensions of the house, I began excavating the looters’ trench to the back wall, I was shocked to find a beautifully preserved image of a Mayan king on his thrown, with a great blue feathered head dress streaming off his head,” added Saturno.

Preserved paintings were found on the ceiling and on three of the four walls, covering the west and north walls of a small 6.6-foot-by-6 foot room, with a vaulted roof. On the east wall, someone had painted a series of small, complex hieroglyphics. The newly discovered calendar, features bars and dots recording lunar cycles in six-month chunks of time. The markings tipped the researchers off, suggesting that on top of the wall murals was actually a calendar.

“All around us were paintings, we saw many life-size human figures painted in black and red hieroglyphs,” said Saturno.

Despite the remarkable findings, this team of researchers says they have only scratched the surface.

“We have 99.9 % of Xultún left to explore,” said David Stuart.

“Its actual boundaries have yet to be determined and we are going to be working on it for many decades to come,” said Stuart.

The findings, supported by the National Geographic Society, are set to be published in a forthcoming article in the journal Science on Friday.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

jamo14

Post Tue May 22, 2012 3:15 pm

my reasoning for there not being an end to the world makes more sense
there have been more accounts of deaths at work and/or nagging wives forcing husbands to make a career change, than there have been prophecies proven to be true :lol:
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue May 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Ha ha ha Jamo...

forgot to mention - the guy who had to stop, due to nagging wife was HILARIOUS!!!!

( somethings NEVER change! ) LOL
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Mrs B

Post Tue May 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Lets not forget about the idiot husband who does something stupid and needs our help immediately...and you know who you all are ;)
There are two ways of doing things...the wrong way and my way.

What, don't want to do it my way, there is a fine for that.

Return to The Lobby