FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Petty Told To Leave Victory Junction

<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Petty Told To Leave Victory Junction

Boy what a shock that was. They want Mrs. Petty to leave & not come back or even talk about the place again. Said she was making irrational decisions. They wouldn't give her more info.
Talk about rude to to the ones who made it possible & now gets stabbed in the back.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/04/21/3568562/victory-junction-asks-camp-founder.html
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: Petty Told To Leave Victory Junction

wow, that is unbelievable
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 pm

This is absurd. The camp was created by her son in memory of her late grandson and they want her to disappear? The Pettys have done a lot of for a lot of people. I just wonder what Kyle Petty has to say.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Where is the late Paul Harvey and the rest of the story? Hmmm....
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:00 pm

There is something way wrong with this! Patty Petty choose to move to Kansas City to start another camp modeled after the original here in NC. Something happened there and I don't know what, but to take this away from her is inhumane! The Petty's have put their heart and soul into this. I am sorry but this breaks my heart and is just wrong. Ask these kids what the Petty's have done for their lives!

I have been to Victory Junction, met the Petty's. I made 50 quilts for the beds, Teddy bears for the children to take home with them. That family lost their son and chose to honor him in this way. It is a wonderful camp for children with terrible childhood diseases, who have never had a really good day in their lives. They come to the camp for a week, all expenses paid, to be with children who have the same disease or disability. In that week they have the time of their lives. These are kids who have never known fun like this and most never will! They have thought of everything at the camp, to make it perfect. This is so so wrong! I am just heartsick for her.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

ndunn

Post Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Last edited by ndunn on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Kyle Petty not concerned about direction of Victory Junction camp after removal of wife Pattie

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/stor ... z1su2CSSD6

Appears this may have been a mountain made out of a mole hill. Of course, the media wouldn't do some thing like that. ;-)
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 pm

Not to sound mean or anything, just taking a devil's advocate role in this.

I wonder what it is we dont know?
I mean we have heard all from one point of view. (hers)
As shocking as it sounds to remove a petty from a Petty thing. Is there any validity to the accusations? Or is it some evil thing by a board of business people trying to make money off something that is successful (as often happens)

For something that is as it seems this big of a move. There has to be some major things we know nothing about. Good or bad. We are in the dark about something.
ImageImageImage
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:41 pm

I agree with y'all who say we aren't getting the true, full story... there seems to be some gaps here & there.

Also to all those who say "They shouldn't fire her because it was her child, she founded it" ... that is not a logical business decision. Perhaps some have never seen, in real life, a person who thought they were above being fired....and then got fired. All those people who said "They can't fire me, they need me ... or no one knows what I know, the place will fail without me" and I have never seen that to be the case.

The Wynonna money part kind of bothers me too... as I have to ask... What in the #### was she or her managers thinking... by charging the event 100K?! ?! Seriously? She should have gone in straight away for free, for the kids that she claims to love. I LOVE Wynonna and have for years ... but the thought of her or managers, charging a 100K for a benefit for the petty camp is just beyond ridiculous.

And then you have to ask... why is Patty putting on such an extravagant auction? If she is accepting to pay Wynonna 100K for what should be for free... maybe she is not making the best business decisions, after all. I'm sure, if they had looked or asked around... they could have found another quality entertainer, who would perform for free... or a tax write off / donation. Also, in charge, she should have "locked" the donor down to pay.. instead of waiting for the money to knock on her door. That is not good business sense either... to leave a 50K payment "unsecured" when you're counting on it.

My heart goes out to all the families with children that could be affected... they are the ones that REALLY matter, regardless of who is running it. We never know... maybe the camp will improve now?

In regards to the name of the camp... regardless if it it changed to the "Pepsi camp"... or the "Sears Craftmans camp" or any other name... it will ALWAYS be remembered as the Petty's Victory Junction and no amount of money or name changing can change the past. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Kyle Petty not concerned about direction of Victory Junction camp after removal of wife Pattie

Bob Pockrass
Sporting News

Kyle Petty doesn’t believe the removal of his wife, Pattie, as chief executive officer of Victory Junction Gang Camp will negatively impact the camp the couple founded in memory of their son Adam.

The Kansas City Star reported Sunday that Pattie Petty had been removed from the day-to-day operations of the camp. She has accepted a position as goodwill ambassador and chairwoman emeritus of the board that oversees the camp, according to a news release issued by the camp on Monday.

“It doesn’t impact anything, it really doesn’t,” Kyle Petty, a former NASCAR star, said Monday. “Basically, the board had decided to ask Pattie to take an emeritus role and just be a spokesperson. … I have no concerns with the direction of the camp at all. Period.”

The Pettys’ son Austin is chief operating officer of the camp for chronically ill children. The Pettys opened its Randleman, N.C., camp in 2004 and has been raising funds for a new camp near Kansas City.

“While public figures are involved, this situation is no different from a regulatory perspective, and personnel matters are private and confidential per the law and human resource policies,” Austin Petty said in a statement.

“Because of this, we will not have any further comment on this or any other personnel issues at this time.”

The North Carolina camp, which has hosted more than 14,000 children free of charge since it opened in 2004, was started after a major fund-raising effort by Kyle and Pattie and with the help of the NASCAR community. It was created in memory of Adam, who was killed in a NASCAR crash in 2000. Adam Petty had talked about building the camp before he was killed at age 19.

“We’re always going to be involved in the camp,” said Kyle, the son of seven-time Cup champion Richard Petty and a driver from 1979 to 2008. “The camp was founded in memory of Adam, and we have worked incredibly hard to build the camp.

“But the camp is about the kids that come, and it’s all about what’s best for the kids.”

Kyle Petty, who is vice chairman of the board, said Pattie, who was chairman and CEO, was primarily running the fund-raising efforts for the Kansas City camp. He said Austin and Victory Junction president John McKee handled the day-to-day operations of the North Carolina camp.

The North Carolina and Kansas City camps have separate board of directors that meet quarterly to make decisions on how the camps operate.

“The fund-raising is a lot harder now and a lot more intense than what it has been,” Kyle said. “It’s just a tougher environment out there. While we took more of an emotional approach to raise funds, it’s time now to take more of a business approach and get a plan for where we’re going to be and what we’re going to do.

“As much as anything, it’s more of a changing of strategy.”

Kyle continues to serve on the board of directors for the camp and conducts a charity motorcycle ride across the United States to raise funds.

Kyle said he and Richard Petty, who also is on the board, did not participate in discussions about the role for Pattie, who is battling Parkinson’s Disease. Pattie Petty, 60, wasn’t immediately available for comment.

“It’s a bigger story because she’s Pattie and the work she put in the camp and founding the camp and stuff,” Kyle Petty said.

Kyle said the move shows that the camp is not just the Petty’s camp and that decisions are made in the best interest of the campers.

“Austin has done a tremendous job of stepping in as COO of the camp in North Carolina,” Kyle Petty said.

“Directionally, for us and the family, he’s kind of taken the leadership role. From a family standpoint, I don’t have a problem with any of it.

"The camp belongs to the kids and the people that come to camp.”

Link: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/stor ... hard-petty
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Lizard

Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Ok, after reading a few articles online there are some things not being talked about.

1. Pattie is worried about securing health insurance, wouldn't she be able to get through husband Kyle's plan and/or does Kyle not have the income to pay the premiums?

2. In an article it stated that Pattie had not spoke with Austin Petty, her son, since Feb 14. Does that not sound like there is a problem there?

3. Are Kyle and Pattie separated? Story just makes me think that there is something more going on there.

4. I think maybe Pattie does not realize the toll that her Parkinson's disease is taking and how to run a charity in the new economy.

Just my thoughts.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

dirt93

Post Fri May 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Parkinson's probably has a lot to do with it. It affects your brain and your way of thinking. The irrational thoughts are a part of that disease.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

Annalee

Post Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 pm

The irony of this whole story is that this camp was started as a memorial to their son Adam. I watched this camp grow from the very beginning and it was Patti who really got the camp off the ground, Kyle and Richard were still racing most of the time and were gone. Patti came around to the different organizations in the area and spoke to us about the camp. She was excited about it and in many ways this was her therapy for coping with the death of her son. She made you want to become part of it because her enthusiasm was contagious and she was so courageous. It is such a wonderful tribute to Adam. This camp is incredible, they have thought of everything and I mean everything. Every need of every child is met, cost free. I encourage you to go on the website and read about it.

My heart broke for this woman who had lost so much, but was determined to make sure her son did not die in vain and he would live on through this camp. This camp was built to help children with chronic diseases, and now Patti who has Parkinson's disease ( a chronic disease) loses her chairmanship on the camp she worked so hard to start. This is just so sad.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

beminetony

Post Mon May 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I just wondwe what Smoke thinks about all this. Tony is the ONE that got Patty thru Adams death. She even said that Tony saVED HER life. He also donated a million dollars to the camp at the beginning. Sure wish we had the whole story.
<<

Tinker

Post Wed May 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Tony is still a member of the VJGC Board, isn't he? I know was a couple years ago.

I'm sure there's a lot we will never know. I have a couple of friends here that are regular volunteers at VJ...I'll have to see if they have heard anything.
“Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.” ~ John Wayne

Return to The Lobby