FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Do you think.....................

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Do you think.....................

Well Tony is the only one & will alwasy be the only that gets to claim he has won every type of Championship in nascars Modern Era. Not to sure he would be able to claim that if he started with a different CC at the start of his career.

He won the real Cup Points Championship
He won Nextel's Chase for the Chumpionship Championship
& now he has won the Sprint Cup Chase for the Chumpionship, Championship since adding Wild Cards.

He can probably contend for a championship with a # of CC's right now, but the question was Tony's early years. So I think Zippy should get credit where credit is due. I still say it wouldnt be to likely that another CC would have been able to deal wwith Tony & get him to a championship in his younger years.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:30 pm

tony is no stroker ace, haha
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

jamo14

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 am

and Steve Addington is no Lugz Harvey :lol: ....however, as a fan of both SHR and the movie Stroker Ace, I do wish SHR would hire a Miss Pembrook (played by the well endowed Loni Anderson) for our viewing pleasure :D
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

smoke14rulez

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:43 am

Smokeshow14 wrote:I have to disagree on the what if Tony had "that guy" thing.

...of course YOU do...but, then you think winning a Daytona 500 makes you a Champion...so, you're opinions are ALWAYS a bit suspect. :mrgreen: Look up Jeff's and Jimmie's records(particularly during JJ's "5 year run")...Zippy was now where near that CONSISTANT on a year after year basis. True, he put together a couple Championship seasons(no coincidence Zippy's best years were Tony's Championship years) but NEVER consistantly like Evrnham/Knaus. That's what "that guy" does..seewhati'msayin'brah... ;)
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:13 pm

onerockindoc wrote:My "friend" has a big head................of all of you all who have responded I am sorry to say that rulez comes closest to thinking the way I do.

I certainly think Zippy has played a large role in Tony's career and what they accomplished is amazing. I think when they won those championships their relationship was the best it could be.
But I also think that towards the end of Tony's run at JGR that there could have been a change in the offing. The relationship between driver and CC does not seem to me to be a lifetime/career pairing--it works as long as it works. Who knows maybe Jimmie and Chad will be the exception to this.

I also think that being a CC to a 30 yr old driver is diff to a 40 yr old driver. And what Tony did last year was an achievemnt just short of a miracle. Awesome to watch.

...so, then...I WIN!!!!!!!...'atz rite bisches..."KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!!... :lol: :lol:

...hey, wait a minute...whaddya' mean...SORRY to say...

Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:18 pm

as i stated before i believe it takes those 3 or 4 combinations to win a championship, driver, CC, owner and most importantly equipment.
of all these repeat drivers that one championships for a majority of their career they had the same CC and drove for the same owner, and of course driver's ability plays a big role in the formula.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:19 pm

smoke14rulez wrote:
Smokeshow14 wrote:I have to disagree on the what if Tony had "that guy" thing.

...of course YOU do...but, then you think winning a Daytona 500 makes you a Champion...so, you're opinions are ALWAYS a bit suspect. :mrgreen: Look up Jeff's and Jimmie's records(particularly during JJ's "5 year run")...Zippy was now where near that CONSISTANT on a year after year basis. True, he put together a couple Championship seasons(no coincidence Zippy's best years were Tony's Championship years) but NEVER consistantly like Evrnham/Knaus. That's what "that guy" does..seewhati'msayin'brah... ;)

Well a Daytona 500 champion, a sprint cup championship is different in it's own right, but that's for another time...
Tony And Zippy's seasons together
1999: three wins, fourth in points rookie of the year
2000: six wins, sixth in points
2001: three wins, second in points
2002: three wins, won the championship
2003: two wins, seventh in points
2004: two wins, sixth in points
2005: five wins , won another championship
2006: five wins, 11th in points (career worst which isn't bad)
2007: three wins, sixth in points
2008: one win, ninth in points.

I am not saying that Zippy was as good as Knaus or Evernham, but he was pretty close. Their ten seasons together were great. Don't forget how Jimmie has a golden horseshoe :mrgreen: , Tony has lead many races, for only something to happen to him in the end. If he had JJ's luck, who knows how many wins he'd have already. 2003 could have been another championship, but Tony had some crazy stuff happen to him that year. 2004 could have been a championship too if not for Robby Gordon. 2007 if not for NASCAR restarting a race they knew they weren't going to able to finish. And if Ryan didn't wreck Tony earlier in 2006 then Tony might have won it in 2006 as he lit them in in the final ten races. But alas those are a lot of what ifs.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:20 pm

I love you rulez. Really I do but you is one crazy squirrel

MJ, If Chad left it would make me sad... And a lil more sober cuz all we do in the chat room on race day is drink when they show Chad.

Jamo, why does it ALWAYS come back to boobies??
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:24 pm

im so tired of hearing about the horse shoe and luck, that is the way bitter jealous fans can justify any of JJ's success, im sure tony had 2 horse shoes up is butt last year in the chase, that is the only reason he won, talent had no part in it.

opps spelled a word wrong
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:27 pm

michaeljohn wrote:im so tired of hearing about the horse shoe and luck, that is the way bitter jealous fans can justify any off JJ's success, im sure tony had 2 horse shoes up is butt last year in the chase, that is the only reason he won, talent had no part in it.

You can't deny how lucky JJ is. Yes he is a very talented driver, and Chad is probably the best cc in the last 30 years. But there are so many races that just went his way. That one time in Auto Club in 2010 he was about to be put a lap down after pitting under green, but he barely beat Jeff Burton out, so he was on the tail end of the lead lap, everyone pitted, he stayed out and won. That is just one example. Tony's hasn't had lucky in this sport, he has had grit however. What we saw in the chase was grit. He already put in his mind that he was going to win the championship, and did.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:28 pm

onerockindoc wrote:I love you rulez. Really I do but you is one crazy squirrel

MJ, If Chad left it would make me sad... And a lil more sober cuz all we do in the chat room on race day is drink when they show Chad.

Jamo, why does it ALWAYS come back to boobies??

i would miss The Chad too, listening on the radio on those rare sundays when he and JJ fight is very comical.
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 pm

michaeljohn wrote:im so tired of hearing about the horse shoe and luck, that is the way bitter jealous fans can justify any of JJ's success, im sure tony had 2 horse shoes up is butt last year in the chase, that is the only reason he won, talent had no part in it.

opps spelled a word wrong

Well if Tony did, and I don't think that was part of his success, I sure wish he would find them again! ;) Last two races he sure could have used them.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
Previous

Return to Tony