FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What's with all the fat jokes?

<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm

What's with all the fat jokes?

Ok, I skimmed the forum and didn't see anything like this so now it's my turn to ask a serious question. Why in the H-E-double hockey sticks is everyone so dam obsessed and constantly joking about Tony being fat? And I don't mean on here, I mean in general.

If there is one thing that bothers me it's that! Why is he considered fat and why is he always poking fun at himself about it? I was watching some reruns of the NASCAR Championship week in Vegas and every time he came on camera there was some type of fat or food joke?

It seriously bothers me to think that fans and others could be that shallow and now he goes along with it? I'm a sucker for older men (he's not that much older than me but still...) and I certainly don't think he's fat. What did I miss? If you have any way of providing some form of divine enlightenment, please feel free. I'm completely dumbfounded.
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: What's with all the fat jokes?

Kevin Harvick already covered the hairy jokes and i will say if there was ever a fat driver my vote wouldn't be Tony when you consider how big Jimmy Spencer was and still is. :mrgreen:
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I dont know. Maybe because Tony talks jokes about himself being fat, & eatting to much Burger King. Even after it isnt his sponsor he still talks about Burger King.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Tony once called himself the fat kid from Indy. He talks about his poor eating habits a lot (I love Burger King too, but I'm more of a subway guy), But the media sometimes says fat jokes about him and his haters do too.

They do it because Tony and the media have never seen eye to eye. And with Tony's success they have to talk about him while most media members rather not. So they'll get back at him with jokes. Since it's really all they can say.

As for haters, they can't diss him for his attitude anymore he's mellowed out (most people I know who used to hate Tony have al become fans of his). Decide to go for the low blow with fat jokes.

I wouldn't call Tony's current shape fat. He isn't much bigger then Ryan Newman.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Smokesprincess

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Watch the After the Lap for Vegas...he is to funny about his weight. He tells Carl " I had to Change next to him..Iknow how much beer I drink how many cheeseburgers I eat. I cant get from there to here." My favorite is when he say "I'm out here representing all the fat kids in America." I love that he can make fun of himself. And no hes not fat. But of course like most of the rest of the girls here on this board I think he's perfect! ;)
The greatest thing in life is doing what people say you cannot do! (Unknown)
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:08 am

Me too! You are so right! SP :)

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:00 am

I think the classic fat joke made by Tony and Ryan two or three years ago was that they were the only drivers that had to deal with taking weight off the car to get them on the track so they would meet the maximum weight requirements set by NASCAR.

Kind of like, it has to weigh at least this much but no more than this much with the driver in the car.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:06 am

Well, it still bothers me but I guess if everyone else noticed too then it IS WHAT IT IS. I tell you what, if I ever heard him say something like that live, I would have to correct his perception of himself. I don't care if he does make fun of himself right along with everyone else, I can't imagine it makes anyone feel great to talk like that.

We are who we are but we certainly don't have to exploit that fact for the sake of the media, or people in general. I'm a firm believer that if you can't accept me for who I am, you are not worthy of being in my life.
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 am

Smokesprincess wrote:Watch the After the Lap for Vegas...he is to funny about his weight. He tells Carl " I had to Change next to him..Iknow how much beer I drink how many cheeseburgers I eat. I cant get from there to here." My favorite is when he say "I'm out here representing all the fat kids in America." I love that he can make fun of himself. And no hes not fat. But of course like most of the rest of the girls here on this board I think he's perfect! ;)

I did! It was funny, at first! But after a while, it wasn't. I think he is a wonderfully talented and obviously caring person. No one should joke about themself like that. But, it's his life, and if he is ok with it, so be it. But I certainly don't have to like it and I certainly won't join in! :lol:
<<

LeslieO

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:58 am

Smokeshow-- You made a good point. I've never thought about that, but maybe a good deal of the fat joke thing is about having something to say about Tony for those who don't care for him. And it's an "easy" joke to make since he does it himself.

I've always chalked it up to it being an easy joke to make. Tony's comfortable with himself and with making fun of himself and that's his personality, to have fun. Others pick up on it, whether in a joking way or a mean-spirited one, because it's easy. He's out there talking about eating Burger King and Martinsville hot dogs all the time and there are so many "in shape" drivers in contrast. Though Tony isn't fat and I personally think he's gorgeous, he's visibly different standing out there beside Carl and Jimmie.
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Has anyone taken a good look at some of the (quote) journalist who write stories about Tony? They haven't missed too many meals. I think he is just a good target and he doesn't get very upset about it. If a person takes a good look at professional sports coaches they aren't in the best shape. Nick Sabin doesn't have a problem or the former coach of the Buckeneers. Oop's Nick left the Dolfins for Alabama.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:08 pm

I wonder if any of those who think he is fat have ever seen him in person?!? He is not fat! It takes muscle and a lot of upper body strength to wheel those cars, something most people can't do with his finesse and talent. And by the way, he looked so, so nice in his suit and tie yesterday. And so did Ryan, they both clean up very nice! ;) ;)
As for the people who choose to say those things,it just shows how immature they are and it is pointless to even acknowledge their ignorance. Tony pays for this website and if they choose to use it like that, then it is really sad. It is best to just ignore them!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Annalee wrote: As for the people who choose to say those things,it just shows how immature they are and it is pointless to even acknowledge their ignorance. Tony pays for this website and if they choose to use it like that, then it is really sad. It is best to just ignore them!

I agree and I will ignore anyone on here who says anything like that, it was simply puzzling to me why he encouraged it. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my question. I am a relatively new fan of his and I just didn't understand. I was hoping those that have been a fan of his for longer could just fill in the missing pieces so I had the clear picture.

I think I understand now. I still don't agree but hey, it's his life to live. I just know I personally will never, ever say anything like that and I wouldn't encourage it.
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:56 pm

He's not fat now, but he was. And no, that never mattered to me. It's just the last couple of years that he's lost weight and then kept it off during the winter. At the Chili Bowl, about 3 years ago, he could barely get in the car. He's never acted like he had a problem with the fat jokes. As a matter of fact, he used to comment on it more than anyone else. For a while he used to climb the fence when he won and then the next year when he had gained weight over the winter, they'd ask him why he didn't climb the fence and he said he was to fat (which he was). Then he got a trainer that changed his diet and he lost probably 30 pounds. The drivers have to weigh in 2 times a year (I think) and one of those times is before the Daytona 500. He's only around 5'9" and he weighed almost 200. They have to weigh in to know how much additional weight has to be added to the cars. The more the driver weighs, the less weight they have to add. I don't know what the limit is, I think it used to be 200 pounds. I think it's to try to make the total weight of the cars fairly equal. Anyway, sorry for the long story, he been staying in shape for the last couple of years.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:30 pm

When Tony came into cup he was borderline skinny all the way to 2002. Then when he started taking anger management he got fat and was fat from 2003 to 2008. Then when he became his own boss he starts to return closer to his former figure. Anyone see the connection? Just a thought.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
Next

Return to Tony