FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Aspirations

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Aspirations

What things do you desire to do with your life?

Ever since I was 13 and my parents took me to a go kart center to try and get racing out of my system, I've wanted to become a Sprint Cup series driver. To say racing is my passion is an understatement. Racing has a huge presence in my everyday life and is involved in my studies. I know it is a lofty goal, but it is one that is worth a shot.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Aspirations

When I was 12 years old, my father took a couple of night courses in drafting. I asked him to teach me. By the time I went to high school and had my first opportunity to study drafting in school, I had worked my way through the first year text.

I wanted to be an automobile designer. The closest I got was to draw open-pit off-road dump trucks. A small version of the trucks had 6' dia. tires.

Now, at 65, I want to be a race car driver, too.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

smokinTA

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Definitely worth a shot! I have been very fortunate in my life, I have accomplished everything I set out to do. I’ve never had high aspirations to be famous or filthy rich, I just set out to experience certain things in life. I am currently on the last item on my bucket list, hopefully, it will take a bit of time to finish. I sold the sticks and bricks house and bought me a motor home so I could go to race after race and enjoy this great country; the scenery, the different regions and the wonderful folks you typically find in NASCAR. If today was the last day, I could honestly say, I have no regrets.

I say go for your dreams. I’ve cheated the grim reaper twice and helped save another life or two. Do all that you can do and be all that you can be.
"Excuse me, pardon me, comin' through" ~ Tony Stewart
"Take a deep breath, I've got this" ~ Tony Stewart
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I love the "need for speed" is something we all share in our own ways! I have but one regret and that is I don't live closer to my son! I was born into the Air Force and married Air Force. I have lived in four foreign countries, 34 states including Hawaii! Moved 43 times, met many, many interesting people, but some of the nicest are my NASCAR friends. My need for speed came from my father who was a fighter pilot and an avid race car fan ( Indy cars, but I have forgiven him for that). :lol: I graduated with my degree in graphic arts, which has now transformed into Fiber arts and I design Art Quilts ,dye some of the fabric I use and teach quilting. I love my life, wouldn't have changed a thing, but driving a race car would be the icing on the cake!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 pm

43 times??? that is amazing, but i am sure it can be a interesting life.. my sister is married to someone in the army, they havent moved around as much,
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:52 pm

I started back to school in 2009 and now at 36 years old I am halfway through my goal of getting my BA in Sociology/Anthropology. No clue what I could do with that degree but if I'm going to go $100,000 in debt, might as well do it in something I want, like and thoroughly enjoy learning about. Plus, I like studying about people and cultures. I find it fascinating and I always wondered if it would help me get into NASCAR somehow.

I do have a silly dream. It was never to be a race car driver (nope that was never fast enough... I loved fighter jets!), I always wanted to learn about cars, aka mechanic. I still do but it just hasn't seemed like the right time. I get so disgusted being female and trying to communicate with male mechanics. I knew what was wrong with my car befor they did yet I could never get them to listen to me. I actually researched and was a click away from joining that NASCAR school they had a while ago in NC, but I chickened out. Not because I didn't think I could do it, but because that meant leaving my parents, siblings and nieces/nephews behind in MI. Now, all of my family is talking about leaving MI and moving to the Carolinas. I know if they all leave I won't be far behind, which is kind of exciting.

That was a great question by the way! Good post!
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Annalee wrote:I love the "need for speed" is something we all share in our own ways!

Agreed. Since I found NASCAR in 1997 I have enjoyed every trip to the track, every trip out of state and I've thoroughly enjoyed meeting new people. It's a great sport and for some of us, it's deeply ingrained in our way of life!
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

smokinTA

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:03 pm

MyLadyWhiteWolf wrote:I started back to school in 2009 and now at 36 years old I am halfway through my goal of getting my BA in Sociology/Anthropology. No clue what I could do with that degree but if I'm going to go $100,000 in debt, might as well do it in something I want, like and thoroughly enjoy learning about. Plus, I like studying about people and cultures. I find it fascinating and I always wondered if it would help me get into NASCAR somehow.

I do have a silly dream. It was never to be a race car driver (nope that was never fast enough... I loved fighter jets!), I always wanted to learn about cars, aka mechanic. I still do but it just hasn't seemed like the right time. I get so disgusted being female and trying to communicate with male mechanics. I knew what was wrong with my car befor they did yet I could never get them to listen to me. I actually researched and was a click away from joining that NASCAR school they had a while ago in NC, but I chickened out. Not because I didn't think I could do it, but because that meant leaving my parents, siblings and nieces/nephews behind in MI. Now, all of my family is talking about leaving MI and moving to the Carolinas. I know if they all leave I won't be far behind, which is kind of exciting.

That was a great question by the way! Good post!

Not a silly dream at all. I bought my first car at 15, it was a 1966 convertible Mustang, 289 with a 3 speed shifter on the floor. My Dad taught me how to check the oil and other maintenance related stuff. At 17, I bought my dream car, a 1965 convertible Corvette with a 327 and a 5 gear speed. I used to take my ‘Vette down to the local Mobile station rent-a-bay to change the oil and take care of other maintenance related issues. I’d put it on the car lifter, unplug the drain hole, all the while wearing my yellow rubber gloves. (Can’t have dirty finger nails ;) ) I even changed the water pump and belts on it. Great way to meet guys, I always had an audience. They really wanted to help because “there’s just no way a girl can work on a car.”

I know what you mean when it comes to guys thinking you know nothing about cars just ’cause you’re a female. :evil: I have been known to throw a tantrum or two at a dealership or an auto shop, especially when it came to my beloved TransAm. What a hot rod!! That was my RACE CAR. Made some long lasting friends that way, though, once they figured out I knew what I was talking about. If I can do it myself, I will. The only thing I lack is muscle strength. I’m petite, can’t lift an engine. But I have changed fuel pumps, water pumps, batteries, a radiator, throttle lines, o2 sensors, air filters and a myriad of other things. Every gal should have some knowledge about cars. It got to a point in my life that I wouldn’t go out with a guy if he didn’t know anything about cars or NASCAR. 8-)
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:52 pm

[quote="smokinTA] I have been known to throw a tantrum or two at a dealership or an auto shop, especially when it came to my beloved TransAm. What a hot rod!! That was my RACE CAR. Made some long lasting friends that way, though, once they figured out I knew what I was talking about. If I can do it myself, I will. The only thing I lack is muscle strength. I’m petite, can’t lift an engine. But I have changed fuel pumps, water pumps, batteries, a radiator, throttle lines, o2 sensors, air filters and a myriad of other things. Every gal should have some knowledge about cars. It got to a point in my life that I wouldn’t go out with a guy if he didn’t know anything about cars or NASCAR. 8-)[/quote]

That's fantastic! I'm so jealous or maybe it's envious of your ability to work on a car. I can't even drive a manual because none of my female friends know how and I haven't found the right man to teach me! My father and brothers just aren't patient enough and they end up ticking me off. :roll: I like the way you think! Good for you!
<<

smokinTA

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Honestly, I would take the Mustang out while my folk were at work. I kind of taught myself. After you stall a few times, you eventually get the hang of it. It's really not that hard, until you find yourself on a hill waiting for the light to turn green and you're sitting there rev'ing the engine and hoping you don't roll backward into the car behind you. :shock:
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:33 pm

I wasn't able to complete all that I would like to have done and places to go but can't really complain as it was just health that kept me from it. I've had great fun, met outstanding people and learned alot of things as I picked peoples brains. I grew up when people were mostly involved in family because we lived close. I was lucky as failure wasn't a word in my vocabulary. I learned that early when a teacher told me to give up sewing as I was lousy at it. I worked at it until over the years I became an expert, made my own clothes and my daughters for over 40 years. I also did crafts and I'd still do it if my hands would let me. One of my biggest thrills was as a teenager watching dirt track racing every Sunday afternoon. I have a few selfish regrets but nothing important. But the regret that I can't get over was I wanted to see Fats Domino in concert. I adore his music and I was never able to see him perform. My younger sister got to see him when a friend of hers parents went out of state to attend his concert. All in all I've had life that was pleasant and that I'm thankful for.

I learned to drive a car with a manual shift. My first car had a floor shift and I loved that 49 Ford. I haven't driven a manual shift in years but I could if I had to. One never forgets how and it doesn take long to learn.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:52 pm

smokinTA wrote:Honestly, I would take the Mustang out while my folk were at work. I kind of taught myself. After you stall a few times, you eventually get the hang of it. It's really not that hard, until you find yourself on a hill waiting for the light to turn green and you're sitting there rev'ing the engine and hoping you don't roll backward into the car behind you. :shock:

Ya, I can see myself doing exactly that! And what joy it would be in a good old Michigan winter!
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 pm

ndunn wrote: All in all I've had life that was pleasant and that I'm thankful for.

I'm super glad to hear that!!!
<<

smokinTA

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm

[quote="Ya, I can see myself doing exactly that! And what joy it would be in a good old Michigan winter![/quote]

That's why I now drive a Jeep YJ, 4x4, big tires, ARB lockers, 4 inch lift, 4.0 liter engine, 5 speed manual tranny and a winch for when all that other stuff needs a little help. Spent six years in the Pacific Northwest. On one job, we had so much snow, that after the roads were plowed, the snow was so high, the street signs were buried and I felt like I was driving in a snow maze. Love my Jeep.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:15 pm

That's why I now drive a Jeep YJ, 4x4, big tires, ARB lockers, 4 inch lift, 4.0 liter engine, 5 speed manual tranny and a winch for when all that other stuff needs a little help. Spent six years in the Pacific Northwest. On one job, we had so much snow, that after the roads were plowed, the snow was so high, the street signs were buried and I felt like I was driving in a snow maze. Love my Jeep.[/quote]

Nice!!!!! I'm not for trucks (or jeeps) in snow but it sure sounds like fun. I LOVE to snowmobile and to me a big truck in snow is like driving a house where my little cars are more like snowmobiles. Slipping and sliding and just too much fun. I've always had Pontiacs and I adore them in snow. I remember one year I took my brand new Pontiac Grand Prix down my dirt road after a snow fall. Dang stuff was up over the hood of my car but I had to get to work so by the time I made it to the end of the road and stopped, I popped the hood and it was packed full of snow. I had to wait 15 minutes for it to melt off. Those were the good 'ol days. Now I live in a big city where idiots drive their 4-wheel drive trucks as if they are God. I'll have to see if I can find this link to a Pure Michigan parody that somebody made about idiot MI drivers. It's great.
Next

Return to The Lobby