FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

The voice in Tony's ear......Eye in the Sky!!!!

<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:29 pm

The voice in Tony's ear......Eye in the Sky!!!!

When Tony Stewart races in the Sprint Cup Series, he's alone in the cockpit of the No. 14 Chevrolet. by Ron Lemasters, Jr. 4-12

But he's really not alone.He has a top-notch pit crew to perform a four-tire stop and add fuel, and a great crew chief in Steve Addington to make needed adjustments to the race car.He also has Bob Jeffrey, otherwise known as the Eye In The Sky.Jeffrey is Stewart's spotter. He stands high above the track from more than a half-a-mile away, able to see what Stewart can't in front of him. Quite simply, Jeffrey's job is one of the most invaluable at the track during race weekends.
It's Jeffrey's reassuring voice in Stewart's ear from Friday's first practice through Sunday's checkered flag, helping him tiptoe through traffic and, oftentimes, sensing trouble before it happens. When the fur starts to fly, it's Jeffrey's voice the three-time champion trusts in all things. Prior to spotting for Stewart, Jeffrey spent three seasons as spotter for Matt Kenseth and, prior to that, spent more than 10 years as spotter for Dale Jarrett. He's also spotted in Nationwide Series events for Bobby Labonte, David Green, Dale Earnhardt, and Kevin Harvick.While Jeffrey has many years of experience calling races from atop the spotter's stand, he has even more experience at recognizing what the car should look like when it zips past him at 190 mph. Jeffrey keeps a very close eye on the car's outward appearance, and for a very good reason.
"Just as much as Tony relies on me to make sure he's got room to race, he relies on me to see what's going on with the car," explained Jeffrey, whose hometown is Bristol, Tenn. "I can see the right side, where the pit crew can't, and I can see if there are pieces missing or falling off, damage to the fenders or wells, things like that."Of course, race cars don't perform as well if pieces are missing. In his role as a spotter, Jeffrey is an extra pair of eyes dedicated to the No. 14, a caddie or copilot for Stewart. Four eyes are always better than two, especially if the extra set is looking at potential hazards that might be hard to see at a place like Bristol or Dover.

Behind every good man there is a woman,....... behind every GREAT race car driver there is an equally GREAT spotter. Robert( AKA Bob) Jeffrey is that man for Tony. IMO he does a superb job for Tony. They are quite a team and work so well together, a perfect match. They make listening to the scanner not only informative but also hilarious. They are so much better than the announcers. I usually hit the mute button on the TV and listen to them on the scanner. Another unsung hero on Tony's team. They allow him to be who he is and inspire him to untold heights.
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Re: The voice in Tony's ear......Eye in the Sky!!!!

Very nice article! I like to hear about the entire crew since this is a team sport. Tony may get all the "public" glory, but it's the crew that helps him achieve it!
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:02 pm

I always love it when Spotters get some credit.
They usually only get their names called when something goes wrong. I am willing to bet fans dont know the names of the best spotters in the sport. Why? because their names are never called. (which is a good thing)

You know the teams apprecaite you, but everyone else doesnt know you.
*A toast to the spotters*

After the races, I would have my drivers wife come up to me & thank me for taking care of her husband & keeping him safe. LOL.
I always had to remind her..... hey he's driving.
but I always appreciated the appreciation. You know if something goes wrong you will be the 1st person people look at! So you take the good words when you can.
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Schmoopy, I knew I liked you for some reason! I think a spotter is as important as the crew chief. I bet you were very good too! :)
Last night, Tony and Bob were quite a pair. He helped Tony with different lines, getting other cars to help him get the debris from his car and his humor helped Tony during very long green flag runs. He is always like that! I can not say enough nice things about him. He is just the best!!

I #Support Smoke
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Bob is the man for sure. Having listened to him over the last few seasons his voice is surely one I would recognize anywhere. I always look forward to him saying " take care of your hot rod" each week. If you ladies want to hear a sexy voice on the scanner check out Mike Calinoff, Matty's spotter!

Another one of Tony's guys who has tons of personality and is so pleasant to speak with at any event is Ira Jo, his front tire changer. He'll always chat with you and poses for pics if you ask him.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 am

Ira Jo Hussey is too funny. Good southern gentleman that can really sling a tire. He was on Tony's team at JGR. Let's face it, they all love working for Tony and will follow him any where he goes.
I love when they wish each other Good Luck and Tony says "and you too Friend" to Robert. I just think that is nice. What is really funny are all the nicknames he has for the other drivers! And the way they banter back and forth.

I #Support Smoke
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:58 am

I really like what all of you had to say. Tony does pick the ones who fit the best. He has to as he has enough to think of. He wouldn't be so fortunate in any of his investments if he didn't know what he needs to succeed. I don't believe Tony would waste his time on something he didn't feel was a perfect fit. I also believe Tony doesn't burn any bridges either. One never knows down the road when he just might need that special someone. He also has been careful with his money as he has invested since he was able to support himself after he gave up the truck driving job in Indianapolis. I just love this kid and support every move he makes. His parents have to be so proud as Tony doesn't compare to anyone.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smokesprincess

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:You know the teams apprecaite you, but everyone else doesnt know you.
*A toast to the spotters*

Amen! Thank you Robert for keeping him safe everyweekend!
The greatest thing in life is doing what people say you cannot do! (Unknown)

Return to Tony