FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Configuration Pic of New Phoenix Re-paving

<<

peanut1439

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Configuration Pic of New Phoenix Re-paving

AVONDALE, Ariz. – Maintaining side-by-side racing, that is the challenge in the upcoming repaving of Phoenix International Raceway.
Following Sunday’s Subway Fresh Fit 500, PIR will undergo a complete makeover. According to track president Bryan Sperber, the current track has “used up its life expectancy.”
But as was witnessed in last week’s Daytona 500, laying down new pavement on a track can change the racing dramatically. So when looking at PIR, Marty Flugger, the same engineer charged with the repaving of Daytona International Speedway, determined that simply digging up the old asphalt and laying down a new track over the current configuration would have generated a single racing groove and thus single-file racing.
To ensure side-by-side racing, Flugger’s design calls for a slight decrease in variable banking in both corners and kicking out the backstretch about 200 feet.
Fear of another pothole debacle like in last year’s Daytona 500 was not the impetus for the repaving. In fact, Sperber had brought this initiative to the board of International Speedway Corporation, which owns the track, prior to last year’s Daytona 500.
“I told [Kevin] Harvick, we’re holding it together with duct tape and bubble gum,” Sperber said.
The repaving project is expected to last five to six months, and should be completed by September – two months before the Cup series returns in November for the penultimate race in the Chase.
Kurt Busch likened the planned configuration to New Hampshire International Speedway and Richmond International Raceway.
“With variable banking, you’re going to see the low line, going to see the high line, but what is going to be the preferred?” Busch wondered.
Goodyear will hold a tire test at PIR prior to the November race. Exactly who will be invited will be of great interest considering what will be at stake when the Cup Series returns.
“[That’s] really going to throw in a wild card, so to speak,” Busch said of the new configuration. He then proceeded to lobby Sperber several times to be a part of the Goodyear test. “I hope it’s someone helping them with this press announcement.”
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Re: Configuration Pic of New Phoenix Re-paving

It may be alright, but I'm gonna miss the old Phoenix.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:03 pm

At first I was ticked off, but after looking at it for awhile, I'm kind of looking forward to it (it's my home track). And, hopefully, Smoke will get the hang of it right off and JJ and Chad :shock: will be scratching their heads trying to figure out how to set up the car...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

jsw14

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm Still >>>>> :cry: :cry:
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Rochelle wrote:And, hopefully, Smoke will get the hang of it right off and JJ and Chad :shock: will be scratching their heads trying to figure out how to set up the car...

We can all hope that is the way it works out. :)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:34 pm

The more tracks that are ripped up or resurfaced, it just means that all those notes that the 48 team has won't mean squat on a new surface with new banking.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 pm

beaverpond wrote:The more tracks that are ripped up or resurfaced, it just means that all those notes that the 48 team has won't mean squat on a new surface with new banking.

lolol :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Just remember where he finished and what happened to him at Daytona and where he started as well.
Image Image

<<

azk8ster

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 am

HiddenHollow wrote:
beaverpond wrote:The more tracks that are ripped up or resurfaced, it just means that all those notes that the 48 team has won't mean squat on a new surface with new banking.

lolol :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Or anyone else, for that matter...

Guess that's why I'm most surprised at the timing, with a new surface being used so close to the end of the chase. on the other hand, no way they'd get it done after the fall race in time for the spring race, especially with it being pushed up as many weeks as it was.

Already feel sorry for the workers over the summer months, it's a b!tch simply existing out here in summer, never mind working in the heat with hot asphalt!
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 am

Well you got to look at the last two winters and see the fact that 49 out of 50 states have received snow. That means that things have got to be pretty darn cold out and you can't poor hot top if it is not warm enough. Temperatures have to be consistantly in the 40s on up. Any colder and it will crack and break apart real easily.

Hawaii being the only one who has not seen snow.
Image Image

<<

BlackFlag

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Looks good on paper!
Now they just need to add some 36 degree banking.......
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:15 pm

azk8ster wrote:Already feel sorry for the workers over the summer months, it's a b!tch simply existing out here in summer, never mind working in the heat with hot asphalt!

I'll second that! I'm sure these guys are used to this kind of work in hot weather... but still, it's going to be brutal out there.

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Why fix what isn't broken? I love racing at Phoenix on the simulator. They screwed up Homestead and Vegas now Phoenix.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.

Return to NASCAR & Racing