FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR looking for new fans

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Re: NASCAR looking for new fans

Not sure what NASCAR can do to attract younger fans. If they simply don't like the product there is nothing they can do. Most people my age (19) either think NASCAR is stupid, don't care about it, or don't know enough about it to give an opinion on it. Racing is almost like a cult thing. You have to be a certain kind of person to enjoy watching cars go around on oval for 2 to 3 hours every weekend. NASCAR should embrace. But at the same time NASCAR wants to be where the NFL is with it's ratings. NASCAR overall does well with ratings compared to other sports as only the NFL gets higher ratings. But they want to get to that next level. Their best vbet is to just make the personalities come out in all these drivers. But when you got guys like Jimmie Johnson that is kind of hard.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:27 pm

they will never compete with the NFL. The NFL has up to 16 locations they are playing per week. It has a lot more local support because of that. Racing has one location per week. They only hurt racing trying to be something its not.
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Racer 1, that is the best idea you have ever posted! You have hit the nail square on the head! Kudos ;)
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:55 pm

Personally,i'd rather see Dirt races through the whole week from around the country from modifieds to winged sprints,#### i'd be happy just to see the WOO every week! Nascar is like trying to get the younger generation into churches,have to have some gimmick to attract them in! My grandchildren have seen the 80's and 90's Nascar races some and like myself are more impressed with the racing back then.The approach Nascar has taken the past decade seems to have the oppossite affect from what i've been seeing anyway. Then again it could just be me that feels that way! :lol: The NFL i never cared for at all,NHL is where it's at for me and i know i'm in the minority on this one.
Junior Johnson/Cale Yarborough/Dale Earnhardt Snr./DougWolfgang
Ron Hornady/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski/Sammy Swindell
Kyle Larson and Ryan Blaney!
<<

futura64

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:06 am

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, just for me. Nascar has managed to attract at least one new fan. Oh, I've watched it on TV off and on for over 30 years, but never attended one. Earlier this evening I made reservations in Ft. Worth to attend the race at TMS next month. Why now, after all these many years? I can tell you this. Up until four years ago, I'd never attended an Indycar race. Been to the last four of them at TMS. Yes folks, she DOES sell tickets.
BudmaninTx
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote: How do you create a race fan. It is live events that creates race fans, which basically means all your Fri, & sat. nite racing around the nation. However nascar now is messing with the sat night local tracks by doing more & more races on Sat. nights. Which messes with the with the local tracks economy, which in turns means they can not afford to bring in the bigger attractions (the divisions that cost more money)

You nailed that one. I agree. Bring back the local racing and start promoting it more. I was SHOCKED when I discovered how many Cup drivers have investments in local tracks around the country. I started noticing it after learning about Eldora. Use the superstars to focus some attention on local tracks and start renewing the interest of the young that way instead of making changes to the main sport. I saw the excitement in the young and old when Tony Stewart visited Spartan Speedway a few years ago. I grew up going to local tracks all over Michigan and I could never get enough of it. I think I love it because it's not only raw racing, it's REAL.
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
Previous

Return to NASCAR & Racing