FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

About penalizing points

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:17 pm

About penalizing points

Something with this new Chase era I dont get. What is the point of penalizing points right now?
Penalizing a chase caliber team whether it is 6 points (kyle penalty) to the common 25 point variety. If (& I really mean when) these teams make the chase the penalty is just like it never happpened. I mean 10th place is equal with 1st place in seeding as far as where they are after the 26th race. So if the points penalty keeps a team in say 7th place instead of 6th place, the points for the beginning of the chase is still the same (based on wins only) So if nascar wants to try & keep teams from innovating. Then they need to penalize points in the chase to get their attention. the 48 penalty is what got me thinking of this, but I am not trying to talk about their penalty directly. (Innocent or not doesnt matter for this post)
Peoples kneejerk reaction was that the 48 team were screwed. When in fact it could have been a 100 point penalty & the 48 team would have made the chase easily (if it were last year) So I know the 48 team isnt stressed on the 25 pts. So my thought is if you are trying to keep a team from messing with Nascars Chi. then they need to look at Chase points being taken away. Not points in week 1.
Again I dont this made out to be about JJ & Chad. I am talking in general for any team.
I mean lets say week 25 Ryan is caught cheating & he has a 67 point lead on 10th place, say 7th in points. Nascar levys a 25 point penalty (& please suspend the CC) Wooptie Doo. Now he 42 pts ahead of 10th place & where he ends up in the top 10 doesnt matter (in current rules).
Wouldnt you think a more effective penalty would be to penalize Chase points?
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: About penalizing points

Somewhere I read they would decide which races Chad had to set out. I don't know if that will influence anything, but the points deduction is taken away when the infraction is made. I see what you are saying, but I have only known NASCAR to deduct the points the Tuesday when the penalty is issued.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:00 am

Annalee wrote:Somewhere I read they would decide which races Chad had to set out. I don't know if that will influence anything, but the points deduction is taken away when the infraction is made. I see what you are saying, but I have only known NASCAR to deduct the points the Tuesday when the penalty is issued.

yeah but that is because their process is old school (the way they have always done it), yet their point system now, is new school. almost like a license to cheat before the chase. (to see if they can gain an advantage without getting caught)
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:24 am

You are on to something! But I don't know who you could sell this idea to. Send it to Jimmie Spencer he always reads emails on Race Hub. :lol: I am just kidding!! How about sending it to Marty Smith on ESPN, he is one of the only commentators that I think likes stories and ideas like this and might also do something with it.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:38 am

I'm just curious what people think. I dont expect anything from this thread to go beyond the message boards.
ImageImageImage
<<

adny1030

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 am

I just can't think of a way that they can hold off (i.e. bank) points until they count. The immediate deduction has an immediate effect- ones that would lag would become lost in the chase. It takes more thought than I am capable of at 1am!
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 pm

maybe have the immediate subtraction of points, but a subtraction of bonus points as well.
So when they bump all the drivers to 5000 pts (or what ever it is now with the new formula)
Everyone would have 5000 plus whatever their win totals are.
Penalized drivers would have 5000 plus whatever their wins are minus 25 (or whatever the points penalty is) So it would be 4975 plus whatever the wins are.
This way if the penalized driver, didnt make the chase, the secondary penalization would be useless, since that driver didnt recieve the chase bonus points.
Think Nascar should hire me :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

smokinTA

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:02 pm

"Penalized drivers would have 5000 plus whatever their wins are minus 25 (or whatever the points penalty is) So it would be 4975 plus whatever the wins are.
This way if the penalized driver, didnt make the chase, the secondary penalization would be useless, since that driver didnt recieve the chase bonus points.
Think Nascar should hire me "

I like it! You’re hired!! :D
"Excuse me, pardon me, comin' through" ~ Tony Stewart
"Take a deep breath, I've got this" ~ Tony Stewart

Return to NASCAR & Racing