Tony Stewart to drive F1 car

<<

peanut1439

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:15 pm

By Marty Smith
ESPN.com

AVONDALE, Ariz. -- Barring an unforeseen scheduling hiccup, two-time NASCAR champion Tony Stewart and 2008 Formula 1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton will swap race cars in an exhibition later this year, Stewart-Haas Racing spokesman Mike Arning confirmed Saturday.

The seat swap comes at the hands of Mobil 1, a mutual sponsor for the two drivers, and is expected to take place at Watkins Glen International sometime during the summer.

The cars involved will not be show cars. They will be legitimate race-prepared machines.

Hamilton will man Stewart's road course ready No. 14 Chevrolet Impala, and Stewart will drive Hamilton's 2010-model F1 McClaren. The respective drivers' race teams will travel with them to the event to tune the cars.

Stewart was not available for comment Saturday.

This isn't the first time NASCAR and F1 have hosted an event like this. In 2003, Jeff Gordon traded rides with Juan Pablo Montoya at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, after which both expressed greater appreciation for the other's respective discipline. Gordon made two runs in Montoya's BMW/Williams F1 machine.

"To get the opportunity here today to do this fulfills really every desire and dream that I had," Gordon said at the time.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

SmokeRising

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:25 am

Re: Tony Stewart to drive F1 car

Very Cool Indeed!

I hope we get an opportunity to see this event om TV...
The impossible just takes a little longer...
Remember that both the cream and the crude both rise to the top, but only the "Smoke" rises above them all!

"SHR GARAGE GANG"
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:57 am

I would be shocked in Speed doesn't show this event. Somewhere we will have footage.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

im4tony

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:52 am

Watkins is our home track- it is about 70+ miles from me so when they let us know I hope we can go see him. Thanks for posting. This is really cool. I would think they may tie it into the Nascar race early Aug. Tony also runs the dirt track when he is here in August Can't get enough of our Tony
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

jsw14

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:07 pm

peanuts wrote:
This isn't the first time NASCAR and F1 have hosted an event like this. In 2003, Jeff Gordon traded rides with Juan Pablo Montoya at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, after which both expressed greater appreciation for the other's respective discipline. Gordon made two runs in Montoya's BMW/Williams F1 machine.
I remember that peanuts, & they had it on TV too. 8-) They will have Tony's F1 ride on TV too!! Can't wait! 8-)
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:39 pm

jsw14 wrote:peanuts wrote:
I remember that peanuts, & they had it on TV too. 8-) They will have Tony's F1 ride on TV too!! Can't wait! 8-)

If I remember correctly, didnt Gordon have a decent time as well?
Maybe thats another reason, Tony is slimming down.
I remember when Nigel Mansel went from F-1 to the Indy cars, then was gonna go back to F-1 but couldnt fit in the car anymore.
ImageImageImage
<<

tulips

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:33 am

I love F1 and can't wait to see this, especially because Hamilton is my favorite driver in that series. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think Tony's times will reflect his ability with as much as he weighs.
‘You should eat a bowl of ice cream when you get home because nobody can be unhappy when they’re eating ice cream.’ Eric Medlen
<<

teddybear1439

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 am

This will be exciting! I'm nervous about him driving an F1 though. I know he will do well and be fine, but... Tony in an F1 with all its risks makes me worry. :shock:

TB14
I'm like fine wine, I improve with age!

Return to Tony