FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

The Media on Women Drivers

<<

14smokin2044

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 pm

The Media on Women Drivers

Yesterday on the HUB, MR Spencer mentioned that Danica gets way too much attention, I agree! I think that All women drivers should get as much attention the same. Look at Johanna Long She finished 21st in the NNS opening race and she only got 10 seconds of air time due to her getting the LUCKY DOG and then Danica finished 38th and she gets alot of air time and attention for wrecking,no thanks to Cole Witt,but I think it's a bit over kill on the attention she gets from the MEDIA, KEEP it even, She's not the only female driver and what about J.J. Cobb or the Cope twins, Danica is not that good YET!
<<

racer1

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:47 am

Re: The Media on Women Drivers

Spence is a no nothing hack and the only way he knows how to get attention is to whine and criticize drivers as in his sick way he thinks hes funny course he isnt>Anyone mentioning the name Danica will get them attention, but sometimes its the wrong kind? Regarding his rants:

Danica is the most well known, most successfull and popular female race car driver in the world, the others are nobodys other then in their small Nascar circles--Huge difference.
J J Cobb has her own little teams. very low funded but is nothing more then a backmarker, even done start & parker, and although she wants to be a real racer she isnt even close to being competitive--hence no-one cares as she isnt news.
The Cope sisters drive when they get a few pennies together but they arent competitive either so no-one cares.
The Canadian model Dufault is supposed to race some NNS races but hasnt done much either.
Johanna Long may actually do well as she didnt do much in the truck series but never had a Ft ride but who knows how she may do in time as she is only 19?

While some complain about Danica's ONLY one win, its better then any other female in a major series and her top 10 or better finishes is around 54% meaning better then every other race she got a top 10 or better in Indycar and in points every yr and most male drivers havent done that. There are No other female drivers even close to even these meager stats of hers yet in Indycar. None can even make the top 15 in season points.

Danica has already set some records in Nascar like best finish of 4th and leading laps and now the 2nd to get a pole--seems small I know but once again--ITS better then any other female so its big news. She IS competitive and thats the story first and foremost. This Daytona nightmare is rare for any driver to crash 3 times but even though not her fault, heard from sources here in Phx she is taking it very hard--any driver would-- male or female. For any other female to EVER become popular they first have to be competitive, and they have to best what Danica has already done over her 7 yrs and now in Nascar and thats not as easy as some think competing against alot of very good male drivers. Its not as easy as the couch potatoe whiners or TV jerks critisizing her can even imagine being in her shoes. :lol:
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:46 am

racer1 wrote:Spence is a no nothing hack and the only way he knows how to get attention is to whine and criticize drivers as in his sick way he thinks hes funny course he isnt>Anyone mentioning the name Danica will get them attention, but sometimes its the wrong kind? Regarding his rants:

Danica is the most well known, most successfull and popular female race car driver in the world, the others are nobodys other then in their small Nascar circles--Huge difference.
J J Cobb has her own little teams. very low funded but is nothing more then a backmarker, even done start & parker, and although she wants to be a real racer she isnt even close to being competitive--hence no-one cares as she isnt news.
The Cope sisters drive when they get a few pennies together but they arent competitive either so no-one cares.
The Canadian model Dufault is supposed to race some NNS races but hasnt done much either.
Johanna Long may actually do well as she didnt do much in the truck series but never had a Ft ride but who knows how she may do in time as she is only 19?

While some complain about Danica's ONLY one win, its better then any other female in a major series and her top 10 or better finishes is around 54% meaning better then every other race she got a top 10 or better in Indycar and in points every yr and most male drivers havent done that. There are No other female drivers even close to even these meager stats of hers yet in Indycar. None can even make the top 15 in season points.

Danica has already set some records in Nascar like best finish of 4th and leading laps and now the 2nd to get a pole--seems small I know but once again--ITS better then any other female so its big news. She IS competitive and thats the story first and foremost. This Daytona nightmare is rare for any driver to crash 3 times but even though not her fault, heard from sources here in Phx she is taking it very hard--any driver would-- male or female. For any other female to EVER become popular they first have to be competitive, and they have to best what Danica has already done over her 7 yrs and now in Nascar and thats not as easy as some think competing against alot of very good male drivers. Its not as easy as the couch potatoe whiners or TV jerks critisizing her can even imagine being in her shoes. :lol:

Her popularity is what makes her right now. She has never been competitive (yet) in a Stock Car. She has one of the best rides in the NNS & one of the top money backings as well, so dont compare stats to other women who are spending their own money to get in races. Highly unfair apples to oranges. She isnt getting the backing because she is a top driver in stock cars. She is getting the backing because they make money marketing her. Right now Buckshot Jones has shown more in a stock car than she has. So please dont be like the media & start exaggerating her accomplishments or abilities in a stock car. As far as those "guys" she did better than in Indy Cars. None of them are good stock Car drivers either. I agree with you about who Spencer is. But doesnt mean he isnt right. if they are gonna glorify a woman driver in a male dominated sport, then more than 10 seconds should have been given to Long. Who I might add might very well be the better stock car driver of the two right now. I dont think J.J. Cobb will be to much in the sport even if given a better ride, but she shouldnt be put down for her situation. She puts her own money into the team(s) she drives for, which I think none of the other ladies can claim. So I give her a kudos for that. She isnt racing just to have fun or as a hobby as you claim Danica is doing it for. She is doing because she loves the sport. The Cope sisters are a joke & I dont even consider them race car drivers myself. Yes that may be unfair as well, but that is how I am. The Canadian Hottie to me is just that. A hot girl that wears a firesuit. But I bet she gets some chances & some doors open because of her looks (just like someone else we talk about around here) My theory is if Danica was 5' & 200lbs, she would have never made it in racing & we would have never heard of her. So I get tired of hearing of all this talent like she has special talent in a stock car. She is not even an average driver (yet) in a stock car. Johanna Long is doesnt have the backing of Danica, but you seem to think that proves who has the talent. it doesnt. This sport is ran by sponsors & Danica is simply more marketable. Long with Stock car exp. is probably the more complete Race car driver of all the woman that might race in the NNS series. I also dont think if Duno had a top ride she would do much. If Danica is as intelligent as Tony says she is. She will probably become a decent driver & stick in the sport awhile. But hey Elliott Sadler has done that. Think Danica might make it. I think Long has a chance to make it, especially if given a quality chance. & in the future it seems they are grooming Crissy Wallace the proper way & slowly. If she trys to make the move, she could make it. Also she knows the right people to get that decent chance, if she trys. #### she has to be better than Steven Wallace LOL.
I am a fan of race drivers, not teams, so maybe this is why we have such a different view on things.
I understand Danica will get more talk about her than any other driver in the race. I understand they want her to be the face of the NNS. But while they use the fact that she is a woman, they might want to give the other women more than 10 seconds.

Hey since you like to live on stats even though I always say stats dont tell the whole story.

Do you know which woman is the highest in points right now? I'll give you a clue. it isnt the one they call the face of Nascar! Image
Now can you see how stats dont tell a whole story?
ImageImageImage
<<

palino_s

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:32 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Her popularity is what makes her right now. She has never been competitive (yet) in a Stock Car. She has one of the best rides in the NNS & one of the top money backings as well, so dont compare stats to other women who are spending their own money to get in races. Highly unfair apples to oranges. She isnt getting the backing because she is a top driver in stock cars. She is getting the backing because they make money marketing her. Right now Buckshot Jones has shown more in a stock car than she has. So please dont be like the media & start exaggerating her accomplishments or abilities in a stock car. As far as those "guys" she did better than in Indy Cars. None of them are good stock Car drivers either. I agree with you about who Spencer is. But doesnt mean he isnt right. if they are gonna glorify a woman driver in a male dominated sport, then more than 10 seconds should have been given to Long. Who I might add might very well be the better stock car driver of the two right now. I dont think J.J. Cobb will be to much in the sport even if given a better ride, but she shouldnt be put down for her situation. She puts her own money into the team(s) she drives for, which I think none of the other ladies can claim. So I give her a kudos for that. She isnt racing just to have fun or as a hobby as you claim Danica is doing it for. She is doing because she loves the sport. The Cope sisters are a joke & I dont even consider them race car drivers myself. Yes that may be unfair as well, but that is how I am. The Canadian Hottie to me is just that. A hot girl that wears a firesuit. But I bet she gets some chances & some doors open because of her looks (just like someone else we talk about around here) My theory is if Danica was 5' & 200lbs, she would have never made it in racing & we would have never heard of her. So I get tired of hearing of all this talent like she has special talent in a stock car. She is not even an average driver (yet) in a stock car. Johanna Long is doesnt have the backing of Danica, but you seem to think that proves who has the talent. it doesnt. This sport is ran by sponsors & Danica is simply more marketable. Long with Stock car exp. is probably the more complete Race car driver of all the woman that might race in the NNS series. I also dont think if Duno had a top ride she would do much. If Danica is as intelligent as Tony says she is. She will probably become a decent driver & stick in the sport awhile. But hey Elliott Sadler has done that. Think Danica might make it. I think Long has a chance to make it, especially if given a quality chance. & in the future it seems they are grooming Crissy Wallace the proper way & slowly. If she trys to make the move, she could make it. Also she knows the right people to get that decent chance, if she trys. #### she has to be better than Steven Wallace LOL.
I am a fan of race drivers, not teams, so maybe this is why we have such a different view on things.
I understand Danica will get more talk about her than any other driver in the race. I understand they want her to be the face of the NNS. But while they use the fact that she is a woman, they might want to give the other women more than 10 seconds.

Hey since you like to live on stats even though I always say stats dont tell the whole story.

Do you know which woman is the highest in points right now? I'll give you a clue. it isnt the one they call the face of Nascar! Image
Now can you see how stats dont tell a whole story?

Schnoopy, Dario Franchitti had more attention than others newbies.. Why? Because he is good in IndyCar.. Johanna have talent, but she proves nothing.. But she is 18 or 19, Danica was racing in England, she was runner-up in Formula Ford championship and she had not attention.

Travis Pastrana has more attention than Timmy Hill and I think Travis still is not racing..
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:04 am

michael andretti (sp?) made the comment recently that danica gets so much attention, it takes away from the sport, and nascar will find that out...

does she deserve attention?? of course, but speed and espn are shoving her down the public throat, to the point there will be a backlash, especially if she fails in the NW series.

Matt K was on ESPN and the dude asked him about danica and sarcastically matt said " oh i didnt know she was in the race, until i seen the highlights."

personally she isnt the face of nascar, the champion is the face, and this year it happens to be tony...she needs to prove herself before the media labels her that. let her do her thing, then next think about putting a label on her.
<<

palino_s

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:49 am

michaeljohn wrote:michael andretti (sp?) made the comment recently that danica gets so much attention, it takes away from the sport, and nascar will find that out...

Michael Andretti made 4 or 5 interview about Danica and attention from September.. He did not say his team also had attention, because Danica was his driver.. How hypocrite..

michaeljohn wrote:personally she isnt the face of nascar, the champion is the face, and this year it happens to be tony...she needs to prove herself before the media labels her that. let her do her thing, then next think about putting a label on her.

I agree DW sounds like idiot, but when champion was also most popular driver..
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:22 am

it was funny when DW said that, how she made that double take, like he was crazy, people are going to watch her, either to see he do well or fail, but let it play out before the media proclaims her the greatest thing in sports, just like this morning on espn, the announcer did a promo fo the the NW, only driver he mentioned was danica.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Paulino, when a Champion comes over from another high profile series, they will always get more attention. Franchitti, Stewart JPM all Champions. Honestly though when Franchitti came over there was a ton of talk about a lot of the open wheel guys since there were so many that year try to cross over to Nascar. Not so sure that is all that good of an example. The Pastrana one is a good example though.
2nd I understand she will get the most attention. it is the fact Long got zero attention the was being pointed out.
I remeber checking in on Indy cars the last couple years, & we prodominently heard about Danica. But you did hear of the other woman as well. Granted I thought Duno was in over her head in Indy cars, just kinda in the way, you heard about her. I would have never even knew of Simona if they nevertalked of her, since I wasnt an avid fan, just someone that peeks in. Then because they do mention the others I found myself tuning in to see how Simona was doing. Here in NNS that will never happen, since the media has tunnel vision. I understand all minorities will get attention in Nascar since they want to show diversity. So sure give Danica & her well backed team the most publicity. That is the best chance to have a competitive woman in the sport, which Nascar so desperately wants. Doesnt mean ignore the others.
Danica fans I hope realize when fans complain about the media forcing a driver down out throats, it isnt the fans thinking it is the drivers fault for that being. Not complaining about Danica herself, but the media. We can choose who we like all by ourselves. So this isnt against Danica, but the media. Just like they have done in the past with Dale Jr.
I wouldnt mind seeing Danica do kick buttin the sport. However until then I would rather not hear how great she is gonna be unti l she does. It would actually be really cool if Danica wasnt the only woman being competitive, & even more would tune in to see who was ahead of who (kinda a race inside the race) I know last year I was seeing where one simona was, & two where Simona was to Danica.
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:50 pm

michaeljohn wrote:it was funny when DW said that, how she made that double take, like he was crazy, people are going to watch her, either to see he do well or fail, but let it play out before the media proclaims her the greatest thing in sports, just like this morning on espn, the announcer did a promo fo the the NW, only driver he mentioned was danica.

yeah I was glad she gave that look to him. I was thinking how about we allow her to get atleast the 1st race in as a full time driver before we make her the face of Nascar LOL. The Media is just killing me.
ImageImageImage
<<

Lizard

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:32 pm

I really want to comment but well I was raised if you cannot be nice just be quiet.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Danica has no power over the media. The second they can they will dump her like a hot rock for the next face of NASCAR. The media is fickle and will create what they figure will get them a a bigger audience. The media likes controversy and our country the same so to keep as many people happy as they can they find a subject to drive into the ground or irratate the public no end. That subject is Danica. In her case that amounts to money. But she can be replaced. I want her to stick around so we can all see if she makes it. I hope she does.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.

Return to Danica