Skip to content

DANICA PATRICK – 2017 Charlotte II Race Advance

As Danica Patrick and the No. 10 Ford Warriors in Pink Ford Fusion team for Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) return to Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway for Sunday’s Bank of America 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race, they will be driving for more good days as they help Ford continue to promote the Ford Warriors in Pink initiative.

Patrick debuted the Warriors in Pink livery last Sunday at Dover (Del.) International Speedway to kick off Breast Cancer Awareness month. The special paint scheme marks Ford’s decades-long commitment to raising awareness and funds in the fight against the disease.

Patrick’s No. 10 racecar displays the warrior symbol to honor the powerful, courageous women and men engaged in the fight against breast cancer. Symbols are a key part of the inspirational message Ford Warriors in Pink represents – serving to uplift those who exhibit strength and courage in the face of their greatest battle.

“Cancer impacts all of us,” Patrick said. “I bet there are very few people out there who don’t know someone impacted by breast cancer. My friend had a double mastectomy as a preemptive strike because she actually tested positive for the breast cancer gene. She went through everything and hopefully avoided it, but it hit close to home.

“If we all work together, we can help make a difference. Whether it’s starting a conversation or inspiring donations, every little bit helps. That’s why I’m proud to drive the Warriors in Pink Fusion to help raise awareness for the cause.”

Last month, Patrick worked with the Ford Warriors in Pink team to surprise patients with racing lessons at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Illinois. The event is one of many being held across the country in an effort to help tap into a newfound fearlessness patients and survivors tend to experience by giving them free access to engage in new thrills and challenges.

To empower people to take action and support their loved ones, Ford Warriors in Pink launched its More Good Days initiative in 2015. Since that time, the program has delivered more than 80,000 More Good Days experiences across the country.

All told, the Ford Warriors in Pink program has worked for 23 years to help breast cancer patients and their families. To date, Ford has dedicated more than $133 million to research, education and patient resources.

While Patrick and the No. 10 team work to raise awareness of the Warriors in Pink initiative, they also head into Charlotte looking to improve on their recent string of results. Patrick enters the weekend on the heels of three consecutive 18th-place finishes at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Illinois, New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon and Dover.

In 10 previous starts at the 1.5-mile Charlotte oval, Patrick’s best NASCAR Cup Series finish is an 11th-place effort she earned in October 2016. As she and the No. 10 Ford Warriors in Pink team return to the track, they’ll be ready to repeat last fall’s effort in hopes of having another good day at the track.

DANICA PATRICK, Driver of the No. 10 Ford Warriors in Pink Ford Fusion for Stewart-Haas Racing:

Your No. 10 Ford Fusion features a special paint scheme this weekend. Talk about that.

“The Ford Warriors in Pink race car really looks great. Cancer impacts all of us. I bet there are very few people out there who don’t know someone impacted by breast cancer. My friend had a double mastectomy as a preemptive strike because she actually tested positive for the breast cancer gene. She went through everything and hopefully avoided it, but it hit close to home. If we all work together, we can help make a difference. Whether it’s starting a conversation or inspiring donations, every little bit helps. That’s why I’m proud to drive the Warriors in Pink Fusion to help raise awareness for the cause.”

Can you talk more about the program and what it means to have the Ford Warriors in Pink initiative on your car?

“I have been a part of breast cancer awareness (initiatives) for many years. It’s an honor. I’ve also been able to meet a lot of survivors. (Two weeks ago) I was in Chicago driving survivors around. I got the chance to read their bios before I went and, yeah, it makes you feel pretty small again. These women have struggled through a lot and some of them have gone through it more than once. It was a good day. They were all really excited. Some people were screaming. Actually, one lady, when I stopped, I said, ‘Were you screaming every time that I went into the corner?’ And she said, ‘Yes, didn’t you hear me?’ It was a great day. I’m proud to represent this program and be a part of its long history and incredible donations.” 

What are your overall thoughts about racing at Charlotte?

“I like Charlotte. It’s really nice for the crews because it’s a home race for them. They get to sleep in their own bed and a lot of their family and friends are there. So, you want to give them a good performance. It’s fun for me at Charlotte because a lot of the crews have young kids, so it’s fun to meet them and see them around the hauler during the race weekend. It’s just a bit of a different experience than a lot of the tracks we go to.”