FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Better luck next week

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Better luck next week

Lizard wrote:
Schmoopy1000 wrote:Well I think she was moving to fast to cup as well, but unfortunately, the times are different from when Tony entered cup to now. With such sponsor pushes to get the next big thing out there. many drivers are being put in cup seats early. There is no wait anymore. Sponsors want now! & since they pay the bills, they usually get now. So whether Danica wanted to or not, she is coming to cup as fast as they can get her there. Cant blame Danica. No driver is gonna say no to a cup ride. Especially when it comes with a full scholarship that goes with it (so to speak). Joey wasnt ready for cup & no way he was gonnna say no to a JGR ride. You'd be crazy to say no.

I agree for the most part Schmoopy, just wanted to show some comparison. I do think if she did not want to do the cup Go Daddy would have been ok with that, but she wants it too. Plus maybe Tony thinks by getting her those laps it will accelerate her growth process. IMO Joey's biggest problem has been his dad.

True. like I said if I am a driver & someone asks me. "you want to run cup" My answer would always be #### yeah!!!
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:07 pm

tl, what you accused me of, you just did, not even worth responding to, things you accused me of, i said that person has every right to do, all tho that same person you want to defend, told me i had no right to make negative comments on SHR, and many if not all would back me on that, so think what ya want, doesnt phase me at all, remember im the site punching bag, and thanks for proving that yet again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

she only got the ride because she is a cash cow, just like jr, only reason he keeps his job at HMS is because of his merch sale, certainly not because of his weak driving.
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

muskrat3

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:06 pm

I have to agree that
1, she may have made the leap up to cup a little to fast, maybe run a full year in NW then go up.
2, I can understand her wanting to run the Daytona 500, Ain't many drivers who don't, but the rest of schedule in cup looks hellish, I understand the idea is get the worst/hardest tracks out of the way, but maybe there should be a couple of easier tracks in the mix.
I for one would like to see her succeed in cup, she has the equipment, the talent, and it appears the attitude.
I would rather be hated for who Iam the Loved for What Iam not
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:14 pm

muskrat3 wrote:I have to agree that
1, she may have made the leap up to cup a little to fast, maybe run a full year in NW then go up.
2, I can understand her wanting to run the Daytona 500, Ain't many drivers who don't, but the rest of schedule in cup looks hellish, I understand the idea is get the worst/hardest tracks out of the way, but maybe there should be a couple of easier tracks in the mix.
I for one would like to see her succeed in cup, she has the equipment, the talent, and it appears the attitude.

I am kinda waiting to see what she does when some kinda incident happens with her. I seen her have some of the young Keselowski attitude last year in the NW series. You know the one. You touched my car so I must wreck you to prove I wont get pushed around. Hopefully the people around her teach her not to cross a particular line. I think it could get interesting. As Brad found out. The Cup drivers wont put up with too much of that. Hopefully she will be a little more humble on the cup side. (which she has been so far)
ImageImageImage
<<

jamo14

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:15 pm

They come to cup because there are more races, more viewership, thus more money.

If it weren't for the split in 96, Tony may have jumped right into the Busch series from the ranks of USAC. The split opened doors for Tony, literally bacause all the good indy drivers followed Penske to CART. CART had all the races in 96...IRL had 4 races in 96. by 1999 they got up to 11 races for a season... 11 races versus 33 races (at the time)...it's simply more races, more money, and more exposure. Tony had plenty of free time back then to get seat time in the Busch series...plus he's always been a great wheelman so the learning curve was easier.

NASCAR has only been this popular for the last 2 decades (thanks to the split in 96). In fact, Jeff Gordon wanted to jump to CART/indycar in the early 90s, but they told him to go find sponsorship 1st, then we'll talk about a ride. CART/indycar was a division of USAC until 1997, and in the early 90s (and decade upon decade before that) the money & exposure was in CART/indycar...and in the 80s & 90s, there weren't as many indycar races as there were NASCAR races.
Jeff Gordon finally settled for NASCAR, and it turns out he made a great decision, because people like Penske & Ganassi ran CART/indycar into the ground.

BTW, the only ones who care whether NASCAR>indycar are the fans...the drivers don't get into that
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:37 pm

jamo14 wrote:They come to cup because there are more races, more viewership, thus more money.

If it weren't for the split in 96, Tony may have jumped right into the Busch series from the ranks of USAC. The split opened doors for Tony, literally bacause all the good indy drivers followed Penske to CART. CART had all the races in 96...IRL had 4 races in 96. by 1999 they got up to 11 races for a season... 11 races versus 33 races (at the time)...it's simply more races, more money, and more exposure. Tony had plenty of free time back then to get seat time in the Busch series...plus he's always been a great wheelman so the learning curve was easier.

NASCAR has only been this popular for the last 2 decades (thanks to the split in 96). In fact, Jeff Gordon wanted to jump to CART/indycar in the early 90s, but they told him to go find sponsorship 1st, then we'll talk about a ride. CART/indycar was a division of USAC until 1997, and in the early 90s (and decade upon decade before that) the money & exposure was in CART/indycar...and in the 80s & 90s, there weren't as many indycar races as there were NASCAR races.
Jeff Gordon finally settled for NASCAR, and it turns out he made a great decision, because people like Penske & Ganassi ran CART/indycar into the ground.

BTW, the only ones who care whether NASCAR>indycar are the fans...the drivers don't get into that

I always put blame on Tony George for almost destroying Indy car racing. I wasnt an avid fan of CART but I did pay attention before they split. When Al Unser Jr. didnt make the 500, there was all this crazy talk of the winner should have an asterik by their name & crap like that. It was after that 500 I heard Tony George say the top 25 would have a guarenteed spot in the 500, which my understanding then was the beginning of the rift amongst the teams, creating a split. Now some of my facts could be a bit fuzzy or even out right wrong as I wasnt as big a fan of Indy cars as I was Nascar, but that is how I remembered it. I remembered thinking Tony George just destroyed CART.
Now the irony is how I thought that was a rediculous rule, & later in life Nascar adopts the rule (currently known as the top 35 rule)
Ahh! What can you do?
ImageImageImage
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Call me twisted,but once Danica wrecked the media focused on the rest of the field and i was kinda dancin' with joy even if i did feel bad for her.
Last edited by wolfgang on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Dupont

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Schmoopy1000 - I'm good with your thoughts as well. I guess what i was trying to say with the #1 I had was that she has done a lot of racing in a span of 5 days and seemed to be doing OK. I look at her ability to handle heat much like Jeff Gordon. Jeff packs himself with ice packs all the time. He doesn't do well with heat. I listened to her channel as well for the Duelies, NW and Cup races. I heard her, at times, get a little tense but what I noticed was more along the lines of an issue in translation. How she answered a question about the track (after an accident) was a case in point. Zippy was asking about whether she had driven thru anything that would warrant a tire change and her answers were more along the lines of the condition of the track. To me, that's something she and her CC will get in synch on.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Dupont wrote:Schmoopy1000 - I'm good with your thoughts as well. I guess what i was trying to say with the #1 I had was that she has done a lot of racing in a span of 5 days and seemed to be doing OK. I look at her ability to handle heat much like Jeff Gordon. Jeff packs himself with ice packs all the time. He doesn't do well with heat. I listened to her channel as well for the Duelies, NW and Cup races. I heard her, at times, get a little tense but what I noticed was more along the lines of an issue in translation. How she answered a question about the track (after an accident) was a case in point. Zippy was asking about whether she had driven thru anything that would warrant a tire change and her answers were more along the lines of the condition of the track. To me, that's something she and her CC will get in synch on.

yeah I didnt listen to her in the cup race. I usually always listen to ryan, but the scanners were all screwed for the 500. I couldnt hear ryan in the 2nd half of the 500 & other drivers radios were crossing over when I tried to listen to other drivers. It really was a pathetic 500 all the way around in my opinion. I was listening to Dennys radio when I start hearing a spotter(I think) asking McMurray if he was ok. Scanner was a mess.
ImageImageImage
<<

tlmerk

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:37 am

michaeljohn wrote:tl, what you accused me of, you just did, not even worth responding to, things you accused me of, i said that person has every right to do, all tho that same person you want to defend, told me i had no right to make negative comments on SHR, and many if not all would back me on that, so think what ya want, doesnt phase me at all, remember im the site punching bag, and thanks for proving that yet again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

she only got the ride because she is a cash cow, just like jr, only reason he keeps his job at HMS is because of his merch sale, certainly not because of his weak driving.

MJ:

The nice thing about this site now is there is hardly any conflict anymore. I like it that way and I think it's a great place for SHR fans. I enjoy many of your posts (the nice ones) but we have new people on this site every year and I think if you continue bullying people whenever the mood hits you, you might scare off some interesting and enjoyable fans. That's all I'll say about the subject. You can go on and on if you'd like, but I really hope you don't. I'd suggest you go listen to a Bob Marley song and chill! :D
Last edited by tlmerk on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

palino_s

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:35 am

Lizard wrote:In reading this thread it made me wonder about Tony's move from IRL to NASCAR.

Tony:
1996 - 9 Busch Series Races(now called Nationwide) best finish 16th
- 1 Truck Series Race finished 10th
1997 - 5 Busch Series Races top 10 twice, 1 top 5
1998 - 22 Busch Series Races 2 poles, 5 top 5, 5 top 10
1999 - First full Cup year 3 wins and at least 1 DNF

Tony also ran a number of dirt track races during those years as well.

Danica:
2010 - 13 Nationwide races best finish 19th and at least 2 DNF's
- 1 K&N Pro Series East 6th place
- 1 ARCA(Daytona) 6th place
2011 - 12 Nationwide races 1 top 5 and 2 top 10

Tony ran 2 years limited schedule in lower series before running it full-time before even running in a Cup race. I think it would have been better for Danica if they had run her full-time in Nationwide this year and next year with adding limited Cup schedule in 2013 if she was running well this year.
Basically what I am trying to say is that she needs more seat time to learn about driving stock cars. She has the drive, determination, and talent but needs experience. I am hoping she learns fast and does well because I want other females to be given the opportunity. I do not think Danica is being singled out by any drivers anymore than any other rookie driver, heck Elliott Sadler(thanks to SmokieOneFour I hear ET saying the name every time now) is not a rookie and had drivers telling their spotters to tell him to not push them last night. It will take time for the drivers to trust Danica, which is part of being a rookie or part-timer.

I am holding out hope that she will do well in time but expectations are running too high for her right now. She has to take responsibility for some of that with having the big PR machine, but ESPN, Fox Sports, and SPEED have their part in that too. To listen to ESPN one would think she is the only female running in the Nationwide series this year, but Johanna Long is running full-time as well. Unfortunately for Johanna she does not have the PR machine Danica has.

Lizard, you forgot writing:
Tony:
1996 - average start: 26.2, average finish: 26.4
1997 - average start: 10.2, average finish: 24.6
1998 - average start: 16.0, average finish: 18.5

Danica
2010 - average start: 26.9, average finish: 28.0
2011 - average start: 18.2, average finish: 17.4

Danica run fulltime Nationwide schedule and partial Cup schedule, because she is not ready for Cup.. Tony said he do not care about positions she needs laps.. Danica said maybe Daytona, but she also said sometime will look bad.. Her partial schedule is only about experiences..

About hype - before Danica circus was Sarah Fisher circus.. Sarah is first female IndyCar pole positer and her best result was second place.. And she is wins one race as IndyCar owner.. Sarah still uses her hype - last weeks was circus, because only female owner had not engine for her team.. Nobody cares about Conquest team, also have not engine..
I think Johanna has talent, but she needs improving and one day starts her hype.. Every female driver uses female card, because everybody interests because she is female..
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

wac562000

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 am

It is true that NASCAR doesn't know what they can do with Daytona or Talley. Do they do 2 car racing, pack racing, they are trying to please the fans and that is not racing. Look at the old days of Petty's win, Cale's wins, Pearson and so on. May be only 4 cars on the lead lap, we hate that type of racing so NASCAR is trying to create a fantastic finish for every race, but at what expense? Danica paid that price this race for this type of event. Her teammate in Saturdays race did something stupid and cost her in that race and the 150 was the wrong place at the wrong time. So Monday's Daytona was just what NASCAR expected, torn up race cars and a green white checker finish. To bad those young guns couldn't settle down in the first few laps, things would have been different. But all in all Danica will do well in NASCAR, and she doesn't have anything to prove but she will so the world what she showed Indy that she can race. Good racing Danica. :D
<<

Lizard

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:42 pm

palino_s wrote:
Lizard wrote:In reading this thread it made me wonder about Tony's move from IRL to NASCAR.

Tony:
1996 - 9 Busch Series Races(now called Nationwide) best finish 16th
- 1 Truck Series Race finished 10th
1997 - 5 Busch Series Races top 10 twice, 1 top 5
1998 - 22 Busch Series Races 2 poles, 5 top 5, 5 top 10
1999 - First full Cup year 3 wins and at least 1 DNF

Tony also ran a number of dirt track races during those years as well.

Danica:
2010 - 13 Nationwide races best finish 19th and at least 2 DNF's
- 1 K&N Pro Series East 6th place
- 1 ARCA(Daytona) 6th place
2011 - 12 Nationwide races 1 top 5 and 2 top 10

Tony ran 2 years limited schedule in lower series before running it full-time before even running in a Cup race. I think it would have been better for Danica if they had run her full-time in Nationwide this year and next year with adding limited Cup schedule in 2013 if she was running well this year.
Basically what I am trying to say is that she needs more seat time to learn about driving stock cars. She has the drive, determination, and talent but needs experience. I am hoping she learns fast and does well because I want other females to be given the opportunity. I do not think Danica is being singled out by any drivers anymore than any other rookie driver, heck Elliott Sadler(thanks to SmokieOneFour I hear ET saying the name every time now) is not a rookie and had drivers telling their spotters to tell him to not push them last night. It will take time for the drivers to trust Danica, which is part of being a rookie or part-timer.

I am holding out hope that she will do well in time but expectations are running too high for her right now. She has to take responsibility for some of that with having the big PR machine, but ESPN, Fox Sports, and SPEED have their part in that too. To listen to ESPN one would think she is the only female running in the Nationwide series this year, but Johanna Long is running full-time as well. Unfortunately for Johanna she does not have the PR machine Danica has.

Lizard, you forgot writing:
Tony:
1996 - average start: 26.2, average finish: 26.4
1997 - average start: 10.2, average finish: 24.6
1998 - average start: 16.0, average finish: 18.5

Danica
2010 - average start: 26.9, average finish: 28.0
2011 - average start: 18.2, average finish: 17.4

Danica run fulltime Nationwide schedule and partial Cup schedule, because she is not ready for Cup.. Tony said he do not care about positions she needs laps.. Danica said maybe Daytona, but she also said sometime will look bad.. Her partial schedule is only about experiences..

About hype - before Danica circus was Sarah Fisher circus.. Sarah is first female IndyCar pole positer and her best result was second place.. And she is wins one race as IndyCar owner.. Sarah still uses her hype - last weeks was circus, because only female owner had not engine for her team.. Nobody cares about Conquest team, also have not engine..
I think Johanna has talent, but she needs improving and one day starts her hype.. Every female driver uses female card, because everybody interests because she is female..

I also forgot that in 1998 he ran full-time IRL(11 races) and 22 Busch Series. Danica would have served herself better is she had pushed to run more Nationwide races last year.
Look I may not particular like Danica, that may change but I do want her to succeed.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

palino_s

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Lizard wrote:I also forgot that in 1998 he ran full-time IRL(11 races) and 22 Busch Series. Danica would have served herself better is she had pushed to run more Nationwide races last year.
Look I may not particular like Danica, that may change but I do want her to succeed.

Yes, but it was impossible she ran full-time IRL(17 races) and she had not free weekend. And she pushed to run more Nationwide races, because JRM did not want her in Montreal (last year) and in Dover (two years ago).
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

racer1

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Bottom line for Danica--long as Godaddy stays with her as they have said she will run in Nascar-- win, 20th or crashout most races--it wont matter.

The only thing that will stop Danica in Nascar IS Danica. Ive followed her career and believe it--she hates not doing well more then most here and elsewhere can imagine. As tough as all the critics are on her, she is tougher on herself and that may be her toughest attribute, to never give up trying?

She already has tons of $$$'s so it really isnt about that, just doing to best she can setting her own goals as she has said and when that is no longer attainable she will be gone. All the greedy people behind her will stay also, untill she doesnt make them money anymore--then its over, but she will end it before then i think. 8-)
Previous

Return to Danica