FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

LAST MAN STANDING

<<

dirt93

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: LAST MAN STANDING

I can't wait!! Hurry hurry hurry
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 pm

In my opinion, I thought Home Improvement was one of THE funniest shows out there, in it's time.

Oh yeah sure, just like every show that goes on a lil longer than it should have and gets a little long in the teeth and becomes a lil stale.... but in the early 90's it was THE show to watch.

Besides the home aspect part of it ( wife & kids ) his tv show "Tool Time" ruled over ANY TV series I ever saw before. I would soooooo sit in that audience and yell. LOL Al was a perfect foil to Tim Allen, and so was the wife. The fence neighbor could always be counted on for advice, that you could take from the show, too.

I used to get such a kick, every time he "up-graded" some simple household piece of equipment / appliance ... and explained it's new features & functions. Always made me want a model, just like his!

And the cars? How many spots were filmed in his garage with his car or working on another beaut? That show had some real classy, classic cars in it. (( Modified, of course.... ))

and a p.s. - The show was Pam Anderson's first foray into TV, as a Tool girl. Anyone remember her from the very beginning? She eventually got replaced by the brunette.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Think Robbie Gordon was on a "ToolTime" episode. It was a great series! They just don't make them like they use to. :(

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Then there were special episodes they did on the man's bedroom, the man's bathroom, and my personal favorite...the man's kitchen.

I too, remember the things he would give "more power" to. I will never forget the episode with the dishwasher. There are just so many things that went wrong that it kept me in stitches.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Home Improvement was one of the best sitcoms i too can remember,Married With Children was another good one and Two And A Half Men until Charlie Sheen left the show,which i still believe was a publicity stunt as he wanted out of his contract.Home Improvement was in a class by its' own,but like all other shows with children-as the children grow older it doesn't seem to be as funny as it was when they were younger.The maid,mother and shrink aren't on enough anymore on TAHMEN,and i never could stand the guy from the 70's show,i'm surprised it's still on.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:38 pm

"More Power!" LOL That was the phrase! :-)

I think what it made it stand out, not only then but now also... was, it was a "guys guy show." More power, tweaking with the home stuff, slowly building a car in the garage, tools, the man caves... it was all geared to everyday men, when at the time ...we had funny but soft New York men, such as Seinfeld and Friends. We had beat down husbands (M-W-C) ( I prefer the term "trained"... but oh well.... hee hee hee ), professional men or young guys that never held a tool in their hand, in their life! LOL

Tim the Tool Man Taylor was really the first, guys guy, on TV at that time... and ever since? ?

oh yeah, a ps to my earlier ps - Turns out Pam A got tired of her walk on role, wanted more lines, the show said "No" so SHE left to go on to Baywatch. And now ya know.... :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 am

I didn't care for the show & I was hoping Tony was on it more & longer than he was. For no longer than he was on it, it was like watching a commercial. Waste of time.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

peanut1439

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:45 am

I thought Tony was awesome on the show. Good Lines and he looked very handsome. His acting as just as good as Tim Allens and he was funny too. Loved the Black Jacket. He could do some Nascar stories too, maybe one about his life? He has had a very interesting life his career is great. Good Job Tony !!!!!
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

peanut1439

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:46 am

I thought Tony was awesome on the show. Good Lines and he looked very handsome. His acting as just as good as Tim Allens and he was funny too. Loved the Black Jacket. He could do some Nascar stories too, maybe one about his life? He has had a very interesting life his career is great. Good Job Tony !!!!!
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

racer1

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:56 am

Recorded it and watched it later as my show NCIS was on opposite it and nothing compares to that show.

I thought it was Ok and Tony was good and acted natural like he would, so all good. The rest was similar to what Tim Allen always does as he likes to narrate himself just like his other show which I didnt watch much. I guess everyone has different opinions on what "funny " is?

Its almost Daytona time. 8-)
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 pm

I watched it and taped it.... and I thought Tony did an excellent job!

He didn't flub any lines ( for the show taping ) ... and as mentioned, he seemed relaxed and it must be easy to play yourself on TV, versus a role. On the Glades... he was ( it seemed ) just "driver #14" - on this show, he was Tony himself. Ultra cool.

All in all.... I thought he was super cute, unbelievably adorable and smokin' sexy! :-)

Come on... who wants to have that same convo with him, about exchanging vehicle keys? ? :-)

I would! I would! LOL
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

Annalee

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Ditto Smokie14. If this racing Gig doesn't work out for Tony I smell sitcom!! (snicker, snicker) ;) ;) ;) Only two more days til it all starts!!!WooHoo, let's get those engines started!!! :D :D :D :D :D

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Updated: February 14, 2012, 11:12 AM ET
Champ no chump on ABC TV show

Newton By David Newton

( Link - http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... -acting-up )

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Tony Stewart and comedian Tim Allen are on the Hollywood set of "Last Man Standing" next to the No. 14 car the driver more commonly known as "Smoke" drove to his third Sprint Cup title in 2011.

"Can I drive it?" Allen asks.

"No," Stewart replies.

"Can I sit in it?" Allen says.

"No," Stewart answers.

"Can I …" Allen begins to ask.

"Don't even look at it," Stewart says sternly.

"Can I touch it," Allen pleads.

"You can touch it once," Stewart says.

As Allen puts a finger on the car, Stewart interjects, "All right, that's enough."

To which Allen replies, "I dated a girl like that."

Stewart won't win an Emmy Award for his acting, but he had a lot of fun taping this ABC episode titled "Adrenaline" that airs Tuesday night. One of the many perks for winning a championship in NASCAR is you become the face of the sport and get to do cool things outside the confines of SAFER Barriers.

This definitely was outside of Stewart's comfort zone.

But Stewart's sarcasm and quick wit made him a natural to work with Allen, who in the sitcom is the director of marketing at an outdoor sporting goods store in Denver trying to maintain his manliness in his world dominated by a wife and three daughters.

Perhaps Stewart can relate since his world is dominated by a woman -- Danica Patrick.

Hey, it's a comedy show.

Stewart's appearance was set up by NASCAR's Los Angeles office in its ongoing effort to integrate drivers into Hollywood. The goal is to introduce the stars to audiences that normally won't tune into the upcoming Daytona 500 or any other motorsports event.

Last year, NASCAR orchestrated 41 television and film integrations with 21 drivers across 19 different networks. That comes to 201 million impressions, a term the public relations world uses to measure the number of people they reach.

So turning drivers into actors can be profitable in the advertising sense.

"This is something that obviously is a little bit out of our comfort zone, because we're used to being in a uniform in a 3,400-pound stock car." Stewart said during the Jan. 16-17 shoot.

"So to come here and do TV is something that is pretty fun. It's exciting to do something different and get out of that norm a little bit."

The title of the show is perfect for Stewart. He literally was the last man standing in the 2011 Chase in which he took the title by a tiebreaker over Carl Edwards.

Staging Stewart opposite Allen also was perfect because Allen is a car guy and has a similar sarcastic wit. At one point when Stewart was explaining off camera about how the No. 14 was "the real deal," Allen quipped, "It's a classic, much like your haircut."

Later, when discussing a scene where Allen does a donut in the parking lot outside the studio, Allen said, "I don't think I could do a donut in anything else, so we figured we wanted the best. NASCAR's the best, the best driver, so what are we going to do?"

Replied Stewart, "I just got excited because I heard donuts, and I thought I was going to get to eat."

When Allen completed his donut, Stewart told him, "My sister did better donuts the first time."

Said Allen, "So good! That was really confidence-building."

See, sarcasm.

But it was all in fun, and it's good for NASCAR or any sport when the athletes cross over into other worlds.

"Tony did an amazing job," said Zane Stoddard, NASCAR's managing director of entertainment marketing and business development. "The truth is, you never know what you're going to get when athletes are on shows, but Tony did a really, really good job and they did a really good job of writing something that fits Tony's personality."

NASCAR's goal is no different than that of a singer performing at the Super Bowl to push a new song, or an actor being a presenter at the NFL Awards show to push an upcoming movie.

It's all about selling a product and expanding the market to potential buyers. Or in the storyline of "Adrenaline," Allen's character bringing Stewart and his car into the store to drive more traffic.

It's why last month Carl Edwards co-hosted "Live with Regis and Kelly," why last year five-time Cup champion Jimmie Johnson played himself in the TV series "Breaking In," why defending Daytona 500 champion Trevor Bayne is scheduled to appear in a show on the Cartoon Network this year.

The drivers enjoy these breaks from the regular routine. It gives them an opportunity to take chances outside the car.

But their ultimate goal is to be like Stewart was last season, "The Last Man Standing" in NASCAR.

David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at dnewtonespn@aol.com. Follow him on Twitter at @DNewtonespn.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 pm

The show isn't near as good as Home Improvement was,but i thought it was pretty good.The comment Tony made about Tims' classic truck being nothing more than an old milk truck was funny.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm

I loved Tony's parts. I howled in laughter when he claimed that being early was his thing. Was a nice nod to the NASCAR fans and media and what have you that know he is late to everything.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
PreviousNext

Return to Tony