FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Question

<<

peanut1439

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:47 am

Question

Hi all, I am going to PIR in March for my first Cup Race and need some info. I have a power chair and can walk short distances with a cane. When I looked up handicapped seating, I got totally confused as where the seats were. I think they said AJ Foyt with some letters, the when I look at the chart, it has numbers?????? What I guess I want to know is .... Is there a place to park the power chair and buy regular seats so I'm not stuck way up high or way low. I need the chair to get around but not necessarily have to sit in it the whole race in a lousy seat selelction.
BTW, what is a good section to sit in?? LOL
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Question

If you go on line to Pocono International Raceway, they have a contact number or email address for info. I would start there and they can help you, with seating, parking and any other info. When I went to the All Star race at Charlotte, we had a similar problem with my friend who had just broken her ankle.. They where so nice and I was surprised how helpful they where. We got handicap parking and they met us at the car with a cart. We actually got better seats and the service was amazing. They said they do this all the time. It pays to ask. Good luck and enjoy the race. :D

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

peanut1439

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks, I will find the number for PIR (Phoenix) and call. Much obliged!!!
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Link -http://www.phoenixraceway.com/Raceday/Accessibility.aspx

Accessibility at PIR

WE AT PHOENIX INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY VALUE EACH AND EVERY GUEST, AND SEEK TO PROVIDE THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE POSSIBLE!

Accessible Parking

If you are a customer with any state-issued disability plate or placard, or were provided a parking pass with your wheelchair accessible seating purchase, follow these easy directions to your designated parking location:

- Exit I-10 at Avondale Blvd. (Exit 131) and proceed south (left) to follow traffic guidelines to venue

- Enter venue at Gate 4

The individual to whom the pass is issued must be present in the car. Depending on your time of arrival, you may be directed to alternate accessible parking, as all lots are available on a first-come, first-serve basis until they are full.

Trams or accessible transport carts will be available to transport individuals if necessary. Delays may occur during peak volume periods immediately before and after the race.

Golf Cart Transportation Assistance

In order to efficiently transport guests with disabilities, we have instituted a comprehensive transport system, complimentary to our guests. Specially designated golf carts will be available for transport of guests with disabilities and one companion. Golf carts will be assigned dedicated routes and pick-up location to serve the entire property.

In the morning hours, carts will be available at the accessible parking areas. Following the race, carts will be located at major gates to transport guests back to this lot. A cart will also be available at Gate 8 to transport disabled individuals through the infield tunnel.

Carts may also be accessed by contacting one of PIR's Information Booth locations. Should a guest require assistance from a location other than those designated, a family member or companion may go to an information booth and a cart may be requested to go to the guest's location.

Please be advised that during peak volume periods immediately before and after the race, some delays may be experienced as we work to accommodate all of our guests safely. This service is free of charge, and tipping of the transport driver is not permitted.

Elevators

Elevators in the Bobby Allison Grandstand are for guests with disabilities and suite guests only. If you need to use the elevator, simply let the attendant know and they will allow you access to the elevators.

Wheelchairs and Accessible Seating

We offer several options for guests requiring wheelchair accessible seating. The Bobby Allison Grandstand offers upper and lower wheelchair-accessible spaces with companion seats. The A.J. Foyt Grandstand also incorporates wheelchair-accesible seating into sections P, Q, R, and S. A special wheelchair-accessible viewing area is also available at Turn 4.

Each purchase of a wheelchair-accessible space at PIR will be accompanied by a parking pass allowing parking in a specific area located in close proximity to your seat. Please be sure to consult the back of the pass for specific directions to the track to ensure efficient access to your parking area.

Additional Information

Guests requiring additional assistance are encouraged to contact our office prior to their visit. For more information on any of Phoenix International Raceway's accessibility options, please contact our office at (623) 463-5400.

For guests with limited hearing, our track public address system is simulcast on 88.5 MHz FM. This can be tuned in with any standard FM radio/headset.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

peanut1439

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks smokie, I will call them with my concerns and questions.xoxoxoxox
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Sorry, Peanuts, I meant Phoenix. Late nite, watching the Super Bowl. Be really specific as to your needs, they can do amazing things. Also tell them it's your first race. At Charlotte, we got free coupons for t shirts, programs and hats just for mentioning that. :D

I #Support Smoke
<<

peanut1439

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks, I have all my membership cards for the Smoke Pit and my new Smoke Pit T shirt.. I am very excited to go and see my firsrt Cup race in person. I'm gonna rent a scanner and visiit the merchandise Hauler ( tony's of course) LOL
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Peanut, if you plan on attending more races (2-3 more), you're better off purchasing a scanner. Our first race was 2004 at the fall Martinsville race. We hadn't seen a race live yet, but we bought one instead of renting. It helps if you can get a bigger antenna for them things, that way the range will reach your RV or camper if you're staying there like that. We borrowed hubby's uncle's antenna from his home scanner & it really picked up all kinds of stations besides the race. The antenna it came with, we couldn't pick up their practice of happy hour, but with the uncle's larger antenna we had no troubles.

We turned our scanner into a 4 person scanner. All 4 of us can listen in, just only to one driver at a time though, but at least the whole family can listen in to Tony ;)
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

peanut1439

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks smoke but with my health so bad, this will probably be the only cup race I will attend. Does anyone know how much a scanner costs to rent at the track? I want to go as many places in my power chair as I'm allowed. I know I can't afford the expensive garage pass but there are other ones I think I can get. I absolutely know nothing about what is avaible in my pocketbook or not. I do have a campanion along to help me if I need it. That's a blessing cause I probably wouldn't go alone the first time. lol
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:49 pm

My first and only NASCAR weekend was Phoenix in Nov. '05 (just before Tony won his second championship). I have a 3-wheel cart I take everywhere. We sat in the Bobby Allison stands (between turns 1 & 2) and our seats where great. Our seating was at the top of the lower grandstand, right outside the elevator. We could see the entire track and some of the pit work. Since we were under the upper grandstand, we were shaded from the sun all the time. We didn't have any rain, but we would have been out of that, too.

The only drawback I found was that the restrooms were on a different level, so I had to take the elevator to get to them.

We had "cold" pit passes (I think) and it was a long way from our seats, around to the tunnel, so we could go to the pits. But that may have changed with new track work. We were there all day, for four days, and never ran out of things to do.

Go and enjoy yourself. It will be something you will long remember, and well worth it for someone like us.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

tonysgal

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 pm

the folks at the tracks are very helpful. just talk to them and they will get you what you need. you will have a great time, peanuts. i wish i was going too.

your tg
the nice things about race cars is some days they're awesome and some days you can't find your ####- Donny Schatz
<<

supermechanic

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:26 am

peanut- I think I paid like $75 for radio rental at richmond. its an absolute necessity, because not only do you tune in up to like 5 drivers, but also the race broadcast (MBNR?) which is neccesary to know what's going on. They charge $250 against your card, and uncharge it when you bring it back. They only give you like an hour to bring it back after the race, so figure the power chair into that equation. I did not know at my first race the things that were absolute must haves: seats (above the fence!) that you can see most of the track(worth the expense), a cushion to sit on, some sort of hearing protection- earplugs,or a scanner, or headphones with FM to listen to race broadcast($30) -be ready it's LOUD- oh and a CLEAR backback. If you take a cooler, it's gotta be soft sided, and none of those blue freezer things. And I agree- those folks take care of disabled folks really well- it's good business- just don't be demanding and be patient- have fun watchin Smoke pass all the cars about three times-lol
I'd rather have Tony Stewart carrying the 14 than anybody else out there.- A.J.Foyt
<<

racer1

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:05 pm

$75 to RENT a radio--c'mon. I have friends who said they bought their nascar radios for not much more then $100 as you can get the frequencys to tune in to free & easy. They go to most all the Phoenix races and listen in and they also have money and travel to see relatives so they aee lots of other races so having there own radio is important--just saying? 8-)
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Peanut, they gave us a coupon for a discount on the scanner. I ask my friend and she said it was about 20 dollars on the rental. Every little bit helps. It doesn't hurt to ask. I know it was at Charlotte, but maybe Phoenix has something like that. :)

I #Support Smoke
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Peanut, I hope you have a great time at the Race.
Take some pictures and post them.

Hope your feeling better.
ImageImage

Return to Tony