FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Danica has a guaranteed spot for the Daytona 500?

<<

racer1

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Danica has a guaranteed spot for the Daytona 500?

"She has absolutely zero say in this.----------------------------------------------------Cant blame Danica for the move at all."

WRONG on both counts.
First off-- Godaddy has said its Danica's decisions to choose what she wants to do and they will stay out of the racing side of things and rely on her judgment regarding those choices. Believe it-- IF she didnt want this--it wouldnt have happenned. Iam sure though that she trusts Tonys judgement in this to do the right thing for her so she is Ok with it, but I dont like it, course my opinion doesnt matter.

On the second matter of it wont hurt her image--yes it is taking a hit on most all sites and some media. "The first female in yrs to start the Daytona 500 is Danica and they bought her way in the race"--how does that sound? Its certainly not credible and this is crap as i said earlier. However, now i'll knock Tony and say he sold her out to a moreso S&P team, so he wouldnt have to be bothered as he is "old school" and should know most of all how important it is for a driver to earn their spot, rather then buy their way in? On Race Hub tonight and the interview with Balwin he commented it is his car now and she is racing with HIS team so Tony and Ryan can concentrate on themselves winning races & the championship etc. Nice going Tony you just lost some of my respect, for what it matters? Wait till when the car is crap and slow and she has 30 second pit stops and other issues, then who takes the blame? Oh well guess we'll see how it goes as miracles could happen and she could do OK, and its only for 10 races and if she does poorly SHR can kiss a 2013+ Cup contract with her goodbye.

On a good note, she has a great NNS crew and series to focus on as its now FT so thats something. :roll:
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:06 am

in some sick and twisted way racer was makin my point that everyone was over looking, the whole tony thing, he made it into the production it turned out to be, when it didnt have to be that way, he could have quietly transferred points to the 10, and there wouldnt be this backlash that is going on, but tony is about tony...she could have made it on her own merit, but now we will never know........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:30 am

racer1 wrote:"She has absolutely zero say in this.----------------------------------------------------Cant blame Danica for the move at all."

WRONG on both counts.
First off-- Godaddy has said its Danica's decisions to choose what she wants to do and they will stay out of the racing side of things and rely on her judgment regarding those choices. Believe it-- IF she didnt want this--it wouldnt have happenned. Iam sure though that she trusts Tonys judgement in this to do the right thing for her so she is Ok with it, but I dont like it, course my opinion doesnt matter.

On the second matter of it wont hurt her image--yes it is taking a hit on most all sites and some media. "The first female in yrs to start the Daytona 500 is Danica and they bought her way in the race"--how does that sound? Its certainly not credible and this is crap as i said earlier. However, now i'll knock Tony and say he sold her out to a moreso S&P team, so he wouldnt have to be bothered as he is "old school" and should know most of all how important it is for a driver to earn their spot, rather then buy their way in? On Race Hub tonight and the interview with Balwin he commented it is his car now and she is racing with HIS team so Tony and Ryan can concentrate on themselves winning races & the championship etc. Nice going Tony you just lost some of my respect, for what it matters? Wait till when the car is crap and slow and she has 30 second pit stops and other issues, then who takes the blame? Oh well guess we'll see how it goes as miracles could happen and she could do OK, and its only for 10 races and if she does poorly SHR can kiss a 2013+ Cup contract with her goodbye.

On a good note, she has a great NNS crew and series to focus on as its now FT so thats something. :roll:

Wow? So many things to point out wrong with this post, but then I realize talking to you is like talking to a wall. So I will just shake my head & smile.
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 am

michaeljohn wrote:in some sick and twisted way racer was makin my point that everyone was over looking, the whole tony thing, he made it into the production it turned out to be, when it didnt have to be that way, he could have quietly transferred points to the 10, and there wouldnt be this backlash that is going on, but tony is about tony...she could have made it on her own merit, but now we will never know........

Well anything Danica, is gonna be a production, no matter who the owner is.
As far as Tony being about Tony, I think every Ryan fan is well aware of this, for some time.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 am

well i could add to that, but it would just be negative, nascar is more a soap opera than it is a sport.
<<

racer1

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:43 am

"---------------------------------------------------------- he could have quietly transferred points to the 10, and there wouldnt be this backlash that is going on, but tony is about tony...she could have made it on her own merit, but now we will never know........"

Wow--is the world endiNG? I actually AGREE with your comment--other then the "sick and twisted" part- as thats still mostly you--but what does that say that we actually agree on something? Apparently I dont know Tony as well as i thought I did, but its often been said sometimes people arent always as they appear to be, or what we hope for them to be?

However as others mentioned anything Danica and Tony related will make the headlines--good or bad such as this giving her away to the Baldwin team. I'll bet the farm she qualifys easily in the top 15 maybe better for Daytona, but too late now, as she will not get to prove she deserves this spot now in Nascars greatest race--a true blemish on her now for sure. I hope Danica sees all the nasty comments and finally decides to take charge of her own career. She says its all her decisions but she relys on so many others for advice like Tony, who have their own agendas and not always in her best interests as Iam sure many will tell her this is/was a BAD move by SHR. Course being new to Nascar on the Cup side is what has caused this moreso, but she has to trust someone and thats Tony, but maybe she will learn from this one way or another? Her race results will show this as a good or bad move--regardless. I'll bet Tony hears the negative side of this also but of course if its true what some say about him only caring about himself, then it wont matter anyway? Wait till GoDaddy really sees the backlash though, course maybe they're the ones who wanted this. rather then being embarrassed if she didnt make the 500?? Lots of things at stake here? 8-)
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:30 pm

michaeljohn wrote:well i could add to that, but it would just be negative, nascar is more a soap opera than it is a sport.

Yep. I believe that is what Brian France wants. The soap opera atmosphere.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:well i could add to that, but it would just be negative, nascar is more a soap opera than it is a sport.

Yep. I believe that is what Brian France wants. The soap opera atmosphere.

i can see why many fans have walked away from nascar, i know change is always going to happen, but i think he changes thing just to say he changed something.

racer, the sick and twisted comment means nothing, its just how i talk, its not directed towards anyone.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:07 pm

This deal is really good for both parties...

Danica is basically on loan to TBR. They will get the expertise of Zippy the whole season, pit members from SHR, technical support from SHR (they use ECR engines so SHR can help only so much), and the fact that they will have a super star like DP and a sponsor like Go Daddy for 10 tens is a major plus. This will allow SHR like Baldwin said to just focus on the 14 and 39 (for all you Newman fans whining that Tony doesn't care how Ryan does). Tommy is going to be running Danica's program

It sucks for Blaney that he will have to qualify on time for he first five races, but he did this last year. I could see him being able to get in on speed, and if not he and Tony (unless Tony qualifies 2nd or Blaney) will be in the same duel, I could see Tony helping Dave get in. Dave is a good enough plate racer he will be in.

This will give TBR the opportunity to have two cars in the top 35 in owners points, plus have an elite team's help. Win win for all involved. Look for Tony to give his points to Danica in 2013 however as I do believe Tommy will get to keep the 10's points.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm

OK, I have a different perspective on this matter. First of all, many, many young drivers began their cup careers in cars that have had driver points locked in from Day 1. These were not THEIR points, these where points from the previous drivers. They did not earn them and they were not asked to prove themselves and they didn't even pay for them. Such drivers as Boyer, Logano, Busch, Ragan, Truex, Keselowski and the latest Almirola. Tony didn't have a car with driver points locked in for her, after all he has been in business only 3 years with a 2 car shop. I don't know why he didn't use his points MJ, maybe for some reason he wasn't allowed. :idea: Maybe and just maybe, this is a bigger picture deal with TBR. What SHR did was not illegal, and it is done all the time if you have the money.
Instead of Danica taking all of her practice time making qualifying runs, she can spend her time honing her skills to be the cup car driver I think she can be. Look at how long it took AJ Allmendinger to get to where he is now. He struggled. If it wasn't for Kurt Busch, who knows what would have happened. Red Bull was TOO cheap to buy his way in. Look what happened to Red Bull and look at AJ now. This is just an example, I am not really a fan of his.
Danica has been given a "chance of a lifetime" to make it in NASCAR. She is tough and she can do this. If you are a true fan of Danica's, then get behind her and support this wonderful opportunity she has been given. Let's face it, she is the best thing to hit NASCAR , since Tony Stewart came along and oh, Ryan too!. :D Come on guys this is "SHR". I thought we were here because we were fans. :? Cool your jets.It is going to be OK ! :lol:
Schmoopy, I hope you watched Race Hub last night and listened carefully to what and why Tony hired Zippy. Read between the lines! ;) I am trying. :D
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Annalee brought up a point that I forgot to bring up. Why on earth would any driver want to have to qualify their way into a race? Last year when I ran a few races in my strickly stock there was one time we had 30 cars show up and a full field is 24. I had to race my way in through my heat instead of just racing. The pressure absolutely made me sick until it was over and I was in. Ask any driver and they would do ANYTHING to be in the top 35 in owner points.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

futura64

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Isn't this the identical method used to get Trevor Bayne into the D-500 last year? Isn't this the method most often used by the big teams to break their developmental drivers into Cup? Let me hear from those knowledgeble members who are far more familiar with what goes in N-Car than I. Thanks.
BudmaninTx
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Smokeshow14, thank you!! I am sorry you had to go through that, but you have walked in those shoes, and it is not fun!!
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:53 pm

futura64 wrote:Isn't this the identical method used to get Trevor Bayne into the D-500 last year? Isn't this the method most often used by the big teams to break their developmental drivers into Cup? Let me hear from those knowledgeble members who are far more familiar with what goes in N-Car than I. Thanks.

What SHR is doing with TBR is 100% like what Roush did and is still doing with The Wood Brothers. Excellent comparison.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

racer1

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Another take on this merger showing both sides and the history of this rule. http://motorsportsunplugged.com/?p=5920

BTW a comment made that TBR will benefit by SHR with technical help and EFI engines etc is NOT actually true if you watched Race Hub yesterday and the Baldwin interview and the Speed comments as well during the show. Baldwin was asked if he would get all the help with Hendricks (SHR) engines and parts and technical support all yr long and he said NO. He will still use the RCR engines for his drivers and teams etc. However i believe or hope they did say that while Balwin called this 10 car now HIS car, that when Danica is driving it, she would have all the SHR (Hendricks) engines, parts, tech support etc that her contract with them allowed as she is still a SHR driver. I hope so and that makes me feel a little better and not trying to knock TBR but still, she signed with SHR to get the best and thats what Godaddy is paying SHR for, not to be farmed out with lessor team/equip.

The proof will be in the actual races on how it goes and one thing for sure this will bring attention to TBR as he said he was happy about so good for him if it helps him, as I just hope it helps Danica as well? :roll:
PreviousNext

Return to Danica