FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

RPM wants Kurt Busch in the 43

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:44 pm

RPM wants Kurt Busch in the 43

RPM considering Kurt Busch in #43 car? Sirius XM NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody has learned that in an effort to retain sponsor Best Buy, Richard Petty Motorsports has proposed replacing AJ Allmendinger as driver of the legendary #43 Ford with Busch. RPM struggled to re-sign Best Buy a year ago, negotiating until early January before inking a one-year contract. The electronics retailer served as major sponsor of the #43 team in 26 events this season.
Richard Petty Motorsports Chief Operating Officer Robbie Loomis confirmed today that discussions have been held regarding Busch, saying, "Best Buy has been a great partner for a long time, and AJ Allmendinger has done a fantastic job for us. He's coming off his best season yet, but I can tell you there is a lot of interest on our part in having Kurt Busch in the fold. It makes sense to have Kurt with our team, if we can make it work.
"Our main focus is to continue building on what we finished the season with last year," said Loomis. "But right now, I feel like I'm running down two different sets of train tracks. From a personal standpoint, nothing has excited me more than when I heard Kurt had become available. I'm excited about the opportunity to add a driver like Kurt Busch to Richard Petty Motorsports. I would mortgage my house to make Kurt a part of this team. We value what he has done on the race track. He has won a (Sprint Cup) championship and worked for a first-class operation like Penske Racing. Guys like that don't come along every day."
Allmendinger finished 15th in 2011 Sprint Cup Series championship points, with one Top-5 and 10 Top-10 finishes. His best finish was a fifth in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway in late May. Busch won a pair of races this season at Infineon and Dover en route to 11th in points, tallying eight Top-5 and 16 Top-10 finishes. He parted company with Penske Racing earlier this month, in the aftermath of a much-publicized verbal confrontation with ESPN pit reporter Dr. Jerry Punch during the 2011 season finale at Homestead Miami Speedway (Sirius Speedway).
AND no word what Allmendinger would do IF this happens; and not too sure Jack Roush [who Busch drove for before Penske and had issues with], who team supplies cars and engines to RPM would allow this to happen.(12-13-2011)

Kurt Busch would basically be a Roush driver again as these two teams work very close together. This would be his best chance as I could see him winning a race or two in the 43 and making the chase. Sucks for Aj if this happens but he has failed to produce wins (though he did finish 15th in points which is decent), if this happens what about AJ in the 22? I think that would be better than Ragan. I can see why RPM would do this. They want to go to the next level and Kurt could take them there plus Marcos is a proven winner now and has improved very much on ovals.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: RPM wants Kurt Busch in the 43

Man if this happens, AJ just cant catch a break. Although if AJ were to land the #22 car, it might be a better ride for him all in all. Although now whether it happens or not, you got to be bitter if your AJ. The 43 car has done better than it has in a very long time, with AJ in it, & they just say thanks but bye! Unbelievable. I think though if AJ did go to the 22 car, that AJ & Bad Brad would make decent teammates. If AJ loses his ride to the whiney B!tch & doesnt get a quality ride, this would suck big time!
ImageImageImage
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:15 pm

I must agree with Schmoop over the possibility of AJ losing his ride to that jackhole Kurt Busch. I hope if this happens that AJ does land in the 22.....although I think Roger may be holding the seat for Sam Hornish and giving him another year in the NW car.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 pm

id still take david over the dinger, all he knows how to do is qualify and then lose the spot on sunday.
<<

muskrat3

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:40 am

That Loud noise you hear is me screaming :x :x :x I realy hate that a nice young man like AJ would lose a ride to a jerk like Kurt Bush. Sometimes Talent ain't enough. Plus I ain't seen that much talent.
I would rather be hated for who Iam the Loved for What Iam not
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:58 pm

I think it'd be GOOD for the King to have Kurt Busch come in. At the very least, he could bring some respectability back to the #43. That storied race team has been a laughing stock for a loooong time.
Only had 3 wins since 1999, I for one like the idea. If Kurt decides to be a douche' bag where Petty is concerned......f*ck him, he's got no business in the business
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:30 pm

AJ may be a nice guy,but i tend to agree with MW as nice guys that don't win don't attract sponsors or sell tickets and i don't believe the King will tolerate any B.S.from Kurt as long as Roger did.The #22,i can only think of one person to fill that seat if Roger has his way,we'll see Sam back provided the sponsor agrees.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:43 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:I think it'd be GOOD for the King to have Kurt Busch come in. At the very least, he could bring some respectability back to the #43. That storied race team has been a laughing stock for a loooong time.
Only had 3 wins since 1999, I for one like the idea. If Kurt decides to be a douche' bag where Petty is concerned......f*ck him, he's got no business in the business

OOOOPS, I made an error..... NO WINS since '99. My original post SHOULD'VE read 3 wins between '85 and '99............... sorrrrrrry :)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
color]
<<

racer1

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Kurt Bush bringing repectability back to the #43, are you serious? Kurt is an emotional bad accident or temper flare up waiting to happen and being respectfull isnt about bad tempered hot heads waiting to explode, just the opposite.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:43 pm

racer1 wrote:Kurt Bush bringing repectability back to the #43, are you serious? Kurt is an emotional bad accident or temper flare up waiting to happen and being respectfull isnt about bad tempered hot heads waiting to explode, just the opposite.

go back and read the last part of my post. Plus, by respectability I meant winning races. The 43 car hasn't won a race since '99. That's sad in my opinion. Like him or not, Kurt Busch can win races and if that doesn't bring respectability BACK to a team that's been pitiful for 13 years, what will? I guess you'd like to see RPM just wallow in mediocrity until he decides to close up shop ? Plus, just to add another thought to the process.....how many of the GREATS were just PURE @ssholes before the advances in modern technology allowed us to listen to every word? Ol' DW said if they'd had Twitter when he was driving, he'd have stayed broke. Just because an athlete is an @sshole, doesn't mean they're not good at their job....case in point, Dennis "The Worm" Rodman. TOTAL IDIOT and a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGG @sshole, BUT, a Great basketball player. If I were in the King's shoes, I'd have to try my best to reign in ol' Keebler because he's my best option and I still wanna win races. Even if it means signing him to a "one race at a time" type of structured contract. Nothing's set in stone so we just gotta wait . :lol:
color]
<<

racer1

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Ok guess I didnt understand all your post but still, if the 43 team hasnt won in that long maybe its not the driver but the team?? A good driver is only part of the equation as you know, so thinking Kurt can automaticaly win with this different team is a little wishfull thinking maybe, but guess we'll see?
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:43 am

point taken......glad to continue the discussion too. Driver is a LARGE part of the equation. See, in my estimation, AJ having NOT won a Cup race and I am in NO WAY belittling his abilities as a driver, may not know EXACTLY what it takes to do so. Kurt on the other hand has won multiple races and DOES know how to give proper feedback to the CC even if it is occasionally profanity laced. I'm not a big Kurt Busch fan so, don't get me wrong but, a past CHAMPION is better for an organization like RPM than a decent driver like AJ. Even if the Kurt Busch thing doesn't pan out for a long period of time, I still say all the good KB can bring will make RPM a much stronger organization until they CAN find a driver for the 43 that they feel will be the one to bring back the glory.
Ya know what ?? all things considered.....this may be the BIGGEST opportunity for the King in a long time. If I were KB and I was in this situation, I'd shut my yapper and give the best info I have ever given ANYBODY. Can you imagine the feeling of being put into Richard Petty's race car and being given the chance to do what EVERYBODY in the garage knows you're capable of doing ?? Thinking from an outsider's standpoint, that whole scenario is mind numbing......
And as for the equipment part of the equation, it IS top notch stuff, Ambrose can do well in it, AJ can QUALIFY well in it but just isn't the guy to keep the car out front because I really don't think he FULLY understands the mechanics and adjustments.
I really would like to see the 43 competitive again, and I think that most race fans here would want the same thing...... just my opinion tho, we'll see.
color]
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Bobby Hamilton or John Andretti won #43 last race? ####,i'm not even sure anymore,it was that long ago.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:34 pm

wolfgang wrote:Bobby Hamilton or John Andretti won #43 last race? ####,i'm not even sure anymore,it was that long ago.

Yep....Andretti won the Spring race at Martinsville in '99.
color]
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:09 am

had ta be somethin' I guess.....Honesty from the king.................vvvvvvvv
.......................vvvvvvvvvvvv :D

Richard Petty Motorsports was interested in the possibility of adding Kurt Busch to its stable to take the reigns of the No. 43 Ford as a replacement for A.J. Allmendinger.

But ultimately it was the team's sponsor who nixed the deal.

Team owner Richard Petty said Smithfield Foods, who signed on to back new driver Aric Almirola for fifteen races this season, wasn't interested in associating the company with Busch at the time.

"Nobody at that time, [they] didn’t want to pay the bill for him,” Petty said. “That’s just how simple it was. Everybody has got to protect their brand. Smithfield has a pretty good, laid-back, down-home persona with the general public. Taking him on, it could change.

“They just didn’t like the personality. … About everybody we talked to, they said, ‘Maybe in six months or a year.’”

Smithfield, who will co-sponsor the iconic 43 with the Air Force this coming season, did like Almirola and was pleased the former Nationwide and truck series driver wound up in the seat.

Almirola's stint for the team in 2010 when he finished the year for Kasey Kahne left a lasting impression on the Petty organization.

“Everybody was impressed with what he did, how he’d done it, how he got along with the crew and how he communicated back to let them know what’s going on with the car,” Petty said.
color]
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing