FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony is not a team player

<<

cslonewolf

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Tony is not a team player

So I was kinda miffed at Tony half way through the chase. I felt like he was kinda giving Ryan a raw deal. I chalked it up to my own displeasure of Ryan's chase, and forgave Tony. Tony had a great run in the chase, and he does totaly deserve his third title. I forgave him for Ryan's lack of performance a few weeks ago, but now I am pi$$ed at him again.

I am not saying Tony is a bad team owner, his teams have done great things in other forms of motorsports. his teams have championships in other types of motorsports. However I think his ego is too large to be a team owner driver, and I believe he just gave me the proof to back that statement up. He goes out there and lays a whoopin on the 11 other chase drivers and wins his third title. He does so w/ Darian Grubb as his crew cheif. Two days after his Championship win he fires the guy that helped him win his third title, and picks up another very good crew cheif. Darian was not "good enough" to lead his team, even though he helped him to win a title. Darian got a first place finish and a pink slip while Tubby Gibson got 10th place finish and job security. I don't get it. If Tony was in any way a team player and he wanted to work w/ Addington so badly he would have put Darian on the 39 team because while he finished top 10 Grubb might give him an even better finish in 2012, or at the very least the 10 there is no C.C at all for that team (unless Tony Eurey sp is coming over from N.W). Tony only cares about the 14, the other 2 cars are just about making himself more money. He drives the 14 so what happens w/ that team is all that matters to him. I don't guess I would handle the situation any diff if I was in his shoes, but I would have someone to make sure the other two cars got the attention they deserved. Tony has got to remember he is the owner of a three car team not a one car team. I feel that if changes need to be made to the boss' team they will be made quicker than a hiccup. When changes need to be made on the other two teams they are never made because Tony just don't give a ####
"He makes me look thinner" Tony on why he picked Ryan to be his team mate. bet he's gonna enjoy his fair share of Krissie's cookies every weekend lol
SMOKE'N ROCKETS
GO #39 U.S ARMY CHEVROLET
GO RYAN
GO SMOKE,
<<

tonycrazy

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Re: Tony is not a team player

For the record CS....Tony let Darian go way back at the Charlotte race...Darian has known since then....i personally think he shoulda kept him at SHR....not sure what his reasons for that is and im sure it will all come to light soon enuff.....Ryan said on Race Hub the other nite that there r a lot of personnel changes goin on....one could be his cc....i also think when Tony/SHR decided to let Darian go they already had made arrangements for the open positions...so he may not have had room for Darian after the Championship was won....remember Darian only picked up the pace AFTER he was "let go"....As u stated Tony has team and personal championships in other venues....and is a VERY savvy businessman....all his holdings/companies r very successful...there is a reason for that...Darian cont to work hard for Tony and SHR even after he knew of his unemployment future...I like Darian...and wish he could stay but we have to have faith and believe Tony knows what he's doin here...and back to touchin on his other successes...u have to ask urself...y would he give his all to everything else in his business life and not to Ryan?? i dont think thats true at all...the 39 team def needs improvements and i feel Tony will take hold of that as well....he loses money if that team dont do well so it dont make sense that he wouldnt care bout that team and only in it for himself....that is not Tony's way...

tc

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Well, I'll just add this and leave it at that....Mrs. Haas owns the 14 and Tony owns the 39 so, maybe it isn't as bad as you think. I still have a funny feeling as I've stated elsewhere that, there's a "BIG, off the wall" surprise coming sometime soon and everyone that thinks poorly of the whole situation right now is gonna change their tune.............. 8-) 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:45 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Well, I'll just add this and leave it at that....Mrs. Haas owns the 14 and Tony owns the 39 so, maybe it isn't as bad as you think. I still have a funny feeling as I've stated elsewhere that, there's a "BIG, off the wall" surprise coming sometime soon and everyone that thinks poorly of the whole situation right now is gonna change their tune.............. 8-) 8-)

I have to agree midwesternsmoke. I've felt all along there is more to this story than we know and why should we anyway. I think they know what they are doing and Gene Haas does have a say in things. Tony said somerthing regarding Gene Haas's opinion in an interview. I just think we have to wait and see......
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

cslonewolf

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Yes it's true Grubb has known for a while that his employment future was up in the air. His situation was not definate till after the title was won. We are already well through the silly season, and Darian's future should have been given more time to work itself out. IMO what Tony did to him is no better than what Micheal Waltrip did to David Ruttiman. If Darian is to find a good job he only has a few months to get something done, and most teams have already signed contracts w/ others. There are still a few rumors out there that have not yet been confirmed nor denied, but seem unlikely after what I have read. One rumor said Darian could be the new Director of Competition at Hendrick Motorsports. Darian does have an open invitation to Hendrick, however it is in a position on their engine program. Not sure a champion crew chief would settle for a job as an engine builder.

Two other teams are in under the SHR umbrella and to date there has been no mention at all of a c.c. signed for the incoming 10 car. The 39 team although they've performed well, they have not exactly performed great. A possible c.c. change could help the team perform better, so why not change things up a bit. The 39 crew has had some pretty slow stops on occasion, but for the most part I think they performed quite well in 2011. I think they're biggest problem has been their team leader making really bad calls. We have a championship c.c. in our stable and he gets shoved out the door when we have two teams that might benefit from having him around.

Tony does well at the other teams he owns outside of NASCAR, but he does not drive full time in those other series. I am sure if he did it would be the same thing in them too. I just feel his ego is too big to put any focus on the other teams, when his 14 team, the car he drives needs help. How many times have changes been made to the 14 crew over the past three years? How many have been made to the 39?

I hope I am wrong, I hope there are big surprises coming as MWS says but I just don't see it happening.
"He makes me look thinner" Tony on why he picked Ryan to be his team mate. bet he's gonna enjoy his fair share of Krissie's cookies every weekend lol
SMOKE'N ROCKETS
GO #39 U.S ARMY CHEVROLET
GO RYAN
GO SMOKE,
<<

tonycrazy

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:37 pm

No CS.....it was not just up in the air.....he got a confirmed pink slip back then....he knew he would be out of a job at season end......the uncertainty came after the championship was won....hoping things would change due to the victory......Tony did NOT do him like MW did Rooty....he was given plenty of notice....and i dont think he was left out to dry....i firmly believe Tony has been workin to help Darian find other employment......there was a tweet last nite suggesting he "MAY" be Denny's cc next yr.....only rumor mind u......JGR has said they wasnt gonna let Zippy go but its just possible that he may trade for Darian.....again....just speculation.....there r a lot of scenerios out there...but i will not believe Tony is that cold....its just not in his character to do that to someone that was that close to him....All we can do is wait till announcements is made to see how this all plays out....As far as Ryan goes i still think he has a hand in TG's future.....he made comments last nite bout how close they were....hunting, hangin out etc....his frustration durin races comes in the heat of moments....all the drivers do the same thing.....MTX has "fired" his crew many times durin a race only to calm down later...crew still has a job...
I just dont think jumping the gun here is necessary till we hear more of what is goin on....wanting to crucify Tony before all the facts is premature....patience my friend.... :D

tc

<<

racer1

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:25 pm

One thing for sure if the #10 car doesnt get a CC that can give DP a car she can drive well, qualifying etc, there wont be a 2013 FT Cup season with SHR. That FT Cup season for 2013 is only a possible option thing in the contract depending on how this PT Cup schedule goes, not a gauranteed deal yet.

Jr motorsports is upset anyway that DP is only FT with them for 1 year when they thought she would go FT with them for a couple yrs after these 2 PT yrs in NNS, and have said she isnt ready for Cup and many agree. However most know the teams only want the Godaddy money regardless, as there are better drivers available, but few have the financing Danica does so its her and her sponsors call for 2013 and beyond as her results in 2012 may determine her Nascar future after that. 8-)
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:31 pm

I agree with midwesternsmoke and tc, you all need to just cool your jets and let this all play out. There are a lot more pieces to this puzzle. If you watched Ryan on Race Hub, he eluded to a big change up. To say Tony is not a team player is just wrong, he has the biggest heart and a great business sense. Wait and see what happens, you might just get the biggest surprise ever. ;) ;)
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:26 am

whats up with tony pinching guys butts all the time, he pitching for the other team? could answer why he never keeps a gf :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:42 am

michaeljohn wrote:whats up with tony pinching guys butts all the time, he pitching for the other team? could answer why he never keeps a gf :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

...better than catching for the other team, I suppose... :shock: :lol:
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

Lizard

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:58 pm

michaeljohn wrote:whats up with tony pinching guys butts all the time, he pitching for the other team? could answer why he never keeps a gf :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's not just guys butts he has been known to walk up to women he knows doing the same thing, it's just part of his MO. Caught on camera doing it to a Mobile1 female exec at Homestead.

Oh and if he was pitching for the other team do you really think he would be doing it so openingly knowing what the outcome would be?
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:08 pm

if he is pitching for the other team, it isnt a big deal, its just odd that a man goes around pinching other men's butt, MO or not
<<

Lizard

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:34 pm

michaeljohn wrote:if he is pitching for the other team, it isnt a big deal, its just odd that a man goes around pinching other men's butt, MO or not

You may say it is ok, but a large demographic of NASCAR would have a problem with it.

I still say he not, he's just too much of a hound dog and face it he would have po'd a former lover who would have spoken out.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 pm

I think Tony is frustrated with not being able to get out of his own way at stretches throughout the last three years and felt like there was a communication gap. With Steve Addington seeming almost certain to become available and given their time at JGR from '05-'08, he's seemed to indicate that, it isn't so much that he doesn't think he can succeed with Darian, he just thinks he can succeed even more with Steve and be more comfortable with him. Seems that decision was made even before the Chase began but Tony - and perhaps wisely so - has said that he couldn't go back on a decision made off three years just based off ten races, no matter how great those ten races were.

It's sad that it's over but that partnership will always be part of history for what they did in the Chase, and I'm sure both will continue to succeed
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

reneern

Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:26 pm

smoke14. I have to agree, Tony needs to do what is best for him and stewart hass racing. Letting grubb go was not done behind anyones back, grubb even stated he knew right at the start of the chase what was happening. i do not think he and smoke had a good driver/cc relationship. i don't think what happened at mw racing was done the same way. i sure hope steve and smoke gel and get a 4th cup !!! also i think grubb has a lot of open doors to get a position he wants!!

Return to NASCAR & Racing