FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Here comes Steve Addington....its official!!

<<

tonycrazy

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Here comes Steve Addington....its official!!

Steve Addington Named Crew Chief for Tony Stewart KANNAPOLIS, N.C., (Nov. 28, 2011) – Steve Addington, winner of 16 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races as a crew chief, has been named to the same position for three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart.

WELCOME ABOARD STEVE!!!! you will be a great asset to Tony and SHR!!!!!

If u got any pull can u plz suggest that Darian go to Ryan?? Any help would be appreciated...lol

tc

<<

tonycrazy

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: Here comes Steve Addington....its official!!

KANNAPOLIS, N.C., (Nov. 28, 2011) – Steve Addington, winner of 16 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races as a crew chief, has been named to the same position for three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart and the No. 14 Office Depot/Mobil 1 team of Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR) effective immediately.

The Spartanburg, S.C., native is only the third crew chief Stewart has had during his 13-year Sprint Cup career, and it comes just a week after Stewart captured the 2011 Sprint Cup title.

“I know Steve well and I know how he goes about setting up a racecar,” said Stewart, who worked with Addington from 2005 through 2008 during his time at Joe Gibbs Racing. “My comfort level with him is already strong. He balances the technical part of our sport with the real-world experiences we get at the track, and that will allow for a smooth transition as we prepare to defend our title in 2012.”

Addington has served as crew chief for Bobby Labonte (2005), J.J. Yeley (2006-2007), Kyle Busch (2008-race No. 33 of 2009) and Kurt Busch (2010-2011) during his ongoing Sprint Cup career. Twelve wins were scored with Kyle Busch at Joe Gibbs Racing and four wins were notched with older brother Kurt during his most recent tenure at Penske Racing.

Prior to rising to the elite Sprint Cup ranks, Addington spent 15 seasons as a crew chief in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, 11 of which came with driver Jason Keller where the duo won 10 races, 11 poles and scored 69 top-five and 122 top-10 finishes.

“Tony and I are a lot alike and we’re able to push each other,” Addington said. “I saw how he worked when we were at Gibbs together and I’m not surprised at all at the success he’s created at Stewart-Haas Racing. He expects a lot and he knows a lot. His talent behind the wheel is obvious, but his ability to motivate and get everyone to believe that whatever goal they set is attainable is something every crew chief wants, and I plan to make the most of it.”

Addington has proven he can win with all kinds of drivers at all kinds of tracks. From the quiet and low-key drivers of Keller and Mike Bliss, whom Addington worked with in the Nationwide Series, to the competitive personalities of Kyle and Kurt Busch, Addington has steered his pilots to victory, and he’s done so at every conceivable type of racetrack – superspeedways, road courses, intermediates and short tracks.

“Steve has proven himself everywhere he’s been,” Stewart added. “Our expectation when we unload each weekend is to win, and that’s Steve’s expectation, too. Getting there is never easy, but we’ve both been around long enough to know what it takes to be successful.”

Addington replaces Darian Grubb, who served as Stewart’s crew chief since the inception of SHR in 2009.

“Darian was a very important part of the success we’ve had at Stewart-Haas Racing,” Stewart said. “I’m very proud of everything he helped accomplish, especially this year when we all rallied to win the championship. He’s a great person and I know he’ll continue to be successful in this sport.”

<<

kim92164

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:18 pm

This was my first year as a fan of Tony's and my first year of really getting into NASCAR. So I'm looking forward to next year, and even though I was hoping that Darian would still be the crew chief I'll still stay loyal to Tony no matter what. I wish him and Steve the best for next year.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 pm

I totatlly forgot that they do have a pre existing relationship.

I will miss Darian being Tony's cc but Addington will be great I feel. Any driver whether nationwide or cup that he has been with he has put speed into their car and gotten them to victory lane. I expect the 14 car to pick up right where they left off in 2011.

It looks like Darian may not be out of SHR though. If you read betwene the lines Tony snever said he wished Darian the best and etc what you would say if your firing someone. He may get that promotion to director of competition it looks like.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:It looks like Darian may not be out of SHR though. If you read betwene the lines Tony snever said he wished Darian the best and etc what you would say if your firing someone. He may get that promotion to director of competition it looks like.

I don't think Darian is staying at SHR. If you read this quote, "He’s a great person and I know he’ll continue to be successful in this sport.” That doesn't sound to me like something Tony would say if Darian was just moving to a different position within SHR.

Welcome to SHR, Steve :!: :D :D :D :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

tonycrazy

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:37 pm

I still say there was a stipulation in Darians contract .....i wouldnt be surprised if Rick H put a clause in it to get him back....i believe D will go back to HMS if he dont get to stay at SHR!!!!! JMO tho...haha

tc

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

See the last line of Jenna's article below.

Stewart Hires Steve Addington As Crew Chief

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer
34 minutes ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—NASCAR champion Tony Stewart has fired Darian Grubb and hired a new crew chief.

Stewart-Haas Racing says Steve Addington has taken over the No. 14 Chevrolet effective immediately. Addington quit as Kurt Busch’s crew chief last week.

Stewart won his third NASCAR championship a week ago, and begins his celebration this week in Las Vegas. Grubb will also be honored, but it will likely be awkward.

Grubb was told midway through the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship he was out at the end of the year. That didn’t change even after Stewart won five of the 10 Chase races and beat Carl Edwards for the title.

Grubb will have no shortage of job offers, and Rick Hendrick said Monday he’s offered Grubb an engineering position.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:51 pm

I like Steve but I'm sorry to see Darian go. I would think it might be a bit awkward at the champion's table in Vegas. I wish Darian could have gone to Ryan's crew. He's a helluva lot better than TG
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

SoDakotaJune39

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Rochelle wrote:I like Steve but I'm sorry to see Darian go. I would think it might be a bit awkward at the champion's table in Vegas. I wish Darian could have gone to Ryan's crew. He's a helluva lot better than TG

Ditto, Rochelle! It's still possible that Ryan could get a new CC. It was posted on Ryan's Fan Club site that they would "have some exciting news at the end of the season." However, nothing has been posted...yet. Guess we will just have to wait & see. :(
June in South Dakota

Go Rocketman! Go Smoke!
Go Stewart-Haas Racing!!
RNFC member
<<

HRR

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Tony.. if you read these forum messages.. you need to keep D. Move him to the new 10 car or the 39, TG .. needs to go.. he is slowing Ryan down! Give Ryan a real chance to contend for a title!
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:23 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:
Smokeshow14 wrote:It looks like Darian may not be out of SHR though. If you read betwene the lines Tony snever said he wished Darian the best and etc what you would say if your firing someone. He may get that promotion to director of competition it looks like.

I don't think Darian is staying at SHR. If you read this quote, "He’s a great person and I know he’ll continue to be successful in this sport.” That doesn't sound to me like something Tony would say if Darian was just moving to a different position within SHR.

Welcome to SHR, Steve :!: :D :D :D :D

Well if he is DOC at Stewart Haas racing I am sure Tony would like him to be successful in the sport.

I am not saying that its a lock, but Tony didn't completely shut the door on that being an option. They need one anyway why not allow Grubb a shot?

If that doesn't happen he could go back to being an engineer at Hendrick. But if he wants to be a cc there is the 22 car (doubt it). Either way he has a job for 2012 and beyond he just doesn 't know where
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Terribly disappointed Darian apparently won't be retained by the team, but I like Addington. Will be an interesting change.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:21 pm

keep on working on the 14 and let the 39 team hang out to dry..........
I miss you Frehley........
<<

tonycrazy

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:59 pm

SoDakotaJune39 wrote:
Rochelle wrote:I like Steve but I'm sorry to see Darian go. I would think it might be a bit awkward at the champion's table in Vegas. I wish Darian could have gone to Ryan's crew. He's a helluva lot better than TG

Ditto, Rochelle! It's still possible that Ryan could get a new CC. It was posted on Ryan's Fan Club site that they would "have some exciting news at the end of the season." However, nothing has been posted...yet. Guess we will just have to wait & see. :(

Contrary to other opinions I dont believe Ryan is put on the back burner....i agree June, im expecting a positive announcement from the Ryan camp.....too many jumpin the gun and quick to accuse Tony of shafting Ryan.....y r so many so ready to fault Tony on things just cuz they dont go the way they expect them to go.....did anyone ever consider the possibility that maybe Ryan is being his normal nice easy goin self and allowed TG to stay and Tony gave Ryan the power to use at his discretion?? Just MAYBE Ryan has had enuff of TG and he will finally get the boot...but geesh stop assuming its all Tony's fault....Green is not ur color!!!!!!!!!!

Im not in the best of moods these days due to some serious personal issues and dont have tolerance for bs.....i know i have offended a few here by what i have said but i really dont care....this subject is not high on my priority list of worry.....but SHR is a part of my life and I will cont to care bout what is being said here....LIKE IT OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tc

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:06 pm

It appears more and more after getting caught up (My lap top broke limited internet access for the last few days). That Zippy will be the DOC at SHR IF Gibbs will let him out of his contract.

That will help the WHOLE TEAM, not just Tony btw.
RIP Dan Wheldon
Next

Return to Tony