FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

addington LEFT penske

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:55 pm

addington LEFT penske

as of yesterday afternoon addington left penske and is expected to join SHR any day......
<<

jamo14

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: addington LEFT penske

Hopefully, he'll be wearing ARMY/Tornado's/Haas Automation/Quicken Loans colors when he gets here.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:09 pm

i would love to agree with ya jam, but i dont see it, i have a feeling no changes for the 39, i hope im wrong.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

from Jayski's -

Addington leaves Penske: Steve Addington finally came clean with #22-Kurt Busch on Monday. Busch said Addington called him around 4 p.m. Monday afternoon to inform the driver he was "indeed leaving" the team. Addington is expected to join Stewart-Haas Racing.(Fox Sports)(11-22-2011)

From Wiki ~

Steve Addington (born July 4, 1964) is an American NASCAR Sprint Cup crew chief for the #22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger currently driven by Kurt Busch and owned by Penske Racing. Previously, he was the crew chief of the #18 M&Ms Toyota driven by Kyle Busch.[1] Before that, he was a long-time crew chief in the Busch Series (now Nationwide Series), most recently for Mike Bliss, as well as an extended partnership with Jason Keller.

Addington was born in Spartanburg, South Carolina. As a kid, he was a fan of dirt track races. At age 14, Addington's mother remarried and then the family moved to Batesville, Arkansas where his stepfather began working for Mark Martin.

Although his stepfather worked for a successful Martin, Addington preferred to play football. He graduated from Central High School in Texas and moved back to Spartanburg. Addington's start in racing came as he helped friends compete in dirt cars.

Addington worked as Jason Keller's crew chief in the Busch Series, and the combination resulted in 10 wins, seven Top 10s, and finished in the season points.[3][4] Addington worked in 2004 as the Joe Gibbs Racing crew chief for their #20 NASCAR Busch Series.[3] Driver Mike Bliss finished fifth in points.

In 2005, Addington was named the crew chief for Joe Gibbs Racing's #18 car driven by Bobby Labonte, replacing Mike "Fatback" McSwain.[3] Labonte left for Petty Enterprises and was replaced by J. J. Yeley for two years.[4] Kyle Busch replaced Yeley as the driver of the #18 car in 2008 and Addington remained as the crew chief.[5] NASCAR observer's did not know what to expect from the combination, as the team did not just change its driver. It also changed sponsorship from Interstate Batteries to M&M's and from a Chevrolet car to a Toyota On March 9, 2008, Addington scored his first win as a NASCAR Sprint Cup crew chief when the 18 team won the Kobalt Tools 500 in Atlanta, Georgia with driver Kyle Busch, and he was awarded the "Crew Chief of the Race"

Busch lead the points with eight wins going into the Chase for the Cup. The team had numerous problems as soon as the Chase started, such as engine failures and wrecks, and Busch finished tenth in the twelve drivers in the Chase. Addington was named the DirecTV Crew Chief of the Year Award at NASCAR's award banquet Busch ended the season with 21 victories in NASCAR's big three divisions (Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Craftsman Truck Series), which was seven more wins that any driver had made since the Craftman Truck Series began in 1995.

Busch said "I think the final ten races certainly humbled all of us. Everyone already had virtually guaranteed us the championship after seeing the first 26 races, but it changed so quickly." Addington was relieved of his crew chief duties with three races left in the 2009 season and Dave Rogers took over the role.

On December 14, 2009, it was reported that Addington had accepted a deal to become the next crew chief for Kyle's brother Kurt Busch, replacing outgoing crew chief Pat Tryson, who had been relieved of his duties following the 2009 Sprint Cup Season. It is reported that the deal is for three years.

Addington left qualifying early for the June 2008 race at Dover International Speedway to attend his daughter Ashlyn's graduation from Boiling Springs High School in Boiling Springs, South Carolina.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

tonycrazy

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm

All kinda figured that was gonna happen just glad its basically offical....He will be a HUGE asset to SHR....i personally think he is a perfect fit for Ryan and would love to see him w/ him....Guess we'll find out soon enuff.....
But TG has GOT to go...he has been a thorn and a total screw up since he started w/ the company...so whatever happens i hope is gets the can.... :mrgreen:

tc

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:24 pm

I am gonna have to agree with MJ on this one, & I too hope MJ is wrong :P
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:16 pm

i am never wrong............. i said all JJ wasnt going to win a championship, and tubby gibson is staying with ryan!
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:04 pm

I just read on Fox Sports that he's the crew chief for the 14.

Steve Addington finally came clean with Kurt Busch on Monday.

Busch said Addington called him around 4 p.m. Monday afternoon to inform the driver he was “indeed leaving” the team. Penske Racing president Tim Cindric later addressed the change.

"Steve Addington is no longer with our organization," Cindric said. "We appreciate the successes we experienced together and wish him the best in his future endeavors."

Addington is expected to join Stewart-Haas Racing as crew chief for the No. 14 team and Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart.

This if from Fox Sports' Lee Spencer
Last edited by Rochelle on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

tonycrazy

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 pm

I just watched Race Hub and they talked bout it.....no confirmation on him goin to SHR...but pretty much said he would....all they did confirm is he officially left Penske.....nor did Tony confirm ANYTHING bout Darian....only had good things to say bout him....

tc

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:12 pm

well i guess grubb was the dead weight, loed knows it couldnt be tubby gibson
<<

dirt93

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:56 pm

I like Addington so hope he does come over.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

wolfgang

Post Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:24 pm

The one thing i know for sure is,Steve won't be going to the #29 team,Shane will be from his 2006 NW season c/c when he won ten races,guess he figured it worked for Brad,so why not try it.

Return to NASCAR & Racing