FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BOY...The things we forget

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:30 pm

BOY...The things we forget

Did anyone remember that Tony Gibson was Alan Kulwicki's car chief during his Championship season??

.....I didn't want to post the whole article....its a lllllllloooooooonnnngggggggg one.

It was written by David Caraviello and is on NASCAR.com
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: BOY...The things we forget

Didn't know that.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:37 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Did anyone remember that Tony Gibson was Alan Kulwicki's car chief during his Championship season??

.....I didn't want to post the whole article....its a lllllllloooooooonnnngggggggg one.

I knew he was on Kulwicki's team during the championship season, but wasnt it Andrews or someone like that Alan's CC? Because the whole team stayed together after he died & raced with Geoff Bodine, the next year, & I dont think Gibson was the CC. Pretty sure it was Paul Andrews, but I am going off memory so dont hold me to it.
ImageImageImage
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
midwesternsmoke wrote:Did anyone remember that Tony Gibson was Alan Kulwicki's car chief during his Championship season??

I knew he was on Kulwicki's team during the championship season, but wasnt it Andrews or someone like that Alan's CC? Because the whole team stayed together after he died & raced with Geoff Bodine, the next year, & I dont think Gibson was the CC. Pretty sure it was Paul Andrews, but I am going off memory so dont hold me to it.

yeah, Andrews was the Crew Chief..... Gibson was Car Chief. The whole team was 11 people and I think that included the receptionist.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
color]
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:26 pm

Gibson was the fuel man on Alan's team.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Lizard

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Alan did the most with the least that is for sure, I remember the stories told about how they would just break out the sleeping bags and sleep at the shop because going home just meant wasting what little time they had for sleep.

If Tony wins it will be the first owner/driver since Alan, but not in the same level because Alan was a true independent who most of the time was on the brink of bankrupcy.

Still will be a great accomplishment for Tony.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:13 pm

jamo14 wrote:Gibson was the fuel man on Alan's team.

not according to the article I read.
color]
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:48 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:

he was according to the documentary I saw about "The Day" (also the title of the documentary) in which he was one of the people interviewed for the documentary. Gibson was afraid he didn't count the # of seconds correctly (for the final splash of fuel) and told his wife to have the car running just in case he shorted Alan on fuel.

"The Day" was the last race of the season, with Alan, Bill E, Davey Allison, Kyle Petty all in the hunt for the championship. It was also Richard Petty's last race, and Jeff Gordon's 1st.

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:54 pm

jamo14 wrote:
midwesternsmoke wrote:

he was according to the documentary I saw about "The Day" (also the title of the documentary) in which he was one of the people interviewed for the documentary. Gibson was afraid he didn't count the # of seconds correctly (for the final splash of fuel) and told his wife to have the car running just in case he shorted Alan on fuel.

"The Day" was the last race of the season, with Alan, Bill E, Davey Allison, Kyle Petty all in the hunt for the championship. It was also Richard Petty's last race, and Jeff Gordon's 1st.

well then.....somebody doesn't know who did what or Gibson just embellished the truth a little bit for the sake of having his name in print in a positive light ??............
............here's an excerpt from the story...............

"I don't think you'll ever be able to top the '92 championship. Just because, if you look at the scale of money and what we did it on, $1.5 million, there were guys with $5 million sponsorships," said Tony Gibson, who was Kulwicki's car chief, and is now crew chief to Ryan Newman at Stewart-Haas Racing. "To me, no disrespect, but it would be like Tommy Baldwin winning the championship over some of these guys. Dude, we had 11 guys working full-time. Eleven, and that was counting the cats in the motor room. Man, there's just no comparison. I was talking the other day about how fantastic it would be for another owner/driver to win it, and what that would be like, but man -- there's no comparison, because we did so much with less. It's not even the same scale."
color]
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:33 pm

musta been the writer that f'ed up
even in this short, it says Tony Gibson "Crew Member"

but if you catch "The Day" which was aired this past summer, it is pretty darn cool. The Hooter's Driver clinching the championship at the Hooter's 500. A bunch of different people talking about that race who were there, but I do remember Tony Gibson talking about him putting that last splash of fuel in, and how nervous he was.

<<

jamo14

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:53 pm

her ya go, an excerpt of the 1 hour documentary "The Day"
5:45 mark in this video from speedtv.com

Tony Gibson: "Gas Man #7"

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/the-day/

<<

smokieonefour

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Sounds like MW should change the title to "Things we remember, forget and learn" ? ? :-D

Just havin' some fun :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Sounds to me like he's past his prime. Please let someone else be Ryan's crew chief next year. He deserves much better.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:35 pm

smokieonefour wrote:Sounds like MW should change the title to "Things we remember, forget and learn" ? ? :-D

sounds more like someone should tell the truth about their actual roll in history, orrrrr, a certain writer should stop trying to embellish the truth?? :roll:
color]
<<

smokieonefour

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:49 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:
smokieonefour wrote:Sounds like MW should change the title to "Things we remember, forget and learn" ? ? :-D

sounds more like someone should tell the truth about their actual roll in history, orrrrr, a certain writer should stop trying to embellish the truth?? :roll:

Hmmmm....... good point. E-mail the writer? :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing