FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What Happened To Tony?

<<

Annalee

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Re: What Happened To Tony?

Peanut I so agree with you and it makes me so upset. Tony has done so much good for both Mark and Bobby. If Mark would have pushed Tony he would have had a great chance to win the 500 and the same for Bobby. If this is truly what happened, Tony doesn't " FORGET". Also there is something called karma, what goes around comes around. Thank goodness for the Nationwide win, at least the whole weekend wasn't lost. It was nice to see Trevor win. He is such a nice kid. Next year is Tony"s Daytona 500 win.
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:06 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i take exception to certain things posted, as it is in my nature to question everything. I find it very hard to believe that mark martin would sacrifice a good finish just so that tony could not win.
Second I be if you ask tony he would tell you that labonte had no obligation to push tony forward, you go where your car works the best, its the final laps of the 500 and each driver is out to get the best finish, not everything revolves around tony stewart ( im sure this will #### people off, but oh well.) As a ryan fan i can sit here and question why tony didnt work with his teammate, but i really dont care, because he ran up front all day without him, and it is really sad to see drivers get put down because they dont help tony, its the same rap every time tony doesnt win, "well it was so and so's fault for not helping him, yea i was bummed JJ got in a crash, but i didnt sit there and say "#### that michael waltrip for starting the crash." its called racing, and that stuff happens,
people need to look at the bigger picture, if there are so called fans out there, how about appreciating the fact you get to see your driver race, win or lose. appreciate the fact no one got hurt, i find it funny how people let it ruin their day when their driver dont win, there will be a time when JJ isnt the hot driver and he starts to finish low in the standings, but i will back him even more when that time comes, because i get to see my fav driver race.

Tony & Ryan kept in contact through the day, & would have worked together if need be. As tony said as long as they both were up near the front. Bottom line was Ryan & Denny/Tony & Jr, were better combos for them than Ryan & Tony working together. Late in the race when Ryan & Denny were leading & Menard & Tony following, I heard over Ryans radio the spotter say that Menard & Tony were gonna follow so it would just be the four of them (like in the shootout) but a lap or so later Menard dove under Denny, bringing all the rest back to the top 4. I can only imagine how good of a day it could have been for SHR if menard stayed in line. Pretty much could have guarenteed to top 4's for SHR & Denny & Meanrd as well. Instead none of them ended up in the top 5. Funny thing is if Menard stayed in position, & they indeed stayed seperated from the group behind them, he was sitting in arguably the best spot coming out of 4 on the final lap. he was just impatient. He did manage 9th however.

So anyways, as weird as it sounds, it was better for Tony & Ryan not to work together this race. Ahhhhh!!!! What could have been?!?! (oh well, Ryan will be ready for Phoenix to make up for his wreck)
ImageImageImage
<<

jsw14

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 pm

Good read HH....> Thx
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:51 pm

I hope more gets printed. I'd still like to see an interview with Tony. Some direct quotes from him would really help.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Reading some of the posts in this topic, I can't help but wonder what color the sky is for some of you folks.

I'm with MichaelJohn on this one 100%. At the end of the day, it's a race.

And for the people bashing Bobby, that really pisses me off. Bobby was a great teammate to Tony, helped Tony significantly shorten his stock car learning curve, and if you want to get right down to it, Tony's done the same thing to Bobby before WHEN THEY WERE TEAMMATES. 2001 fall Talladega race, Stewart pushed Earnhardt Jr. past Bobby taking the white flag, of course off turn two Bobby was on his lid.

If things had lined up where Bobby could have pushed Tony, I'm sure he would have. Instead, he was stuck behind Trevor. Everyone, especially the guys up front, was at the mercy of whoever they were lined up with on the restarts, if you folks paid attention these past nine days. For example, Paul Menard, last I heard, is one of the few guys out there that Tony truly doesn't like, and he was stuck pushing the 27 for much of the early part of the race.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

tulips

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Regarding Bobby helping Tony, if I'm not mistaken Bobby was behind Tony the 2nd to last restart and they didn't do much better than Tony & Mark. When Trevor & Bobby took off so strong I remember yelling at the TV - Bobby why couldn't you have done that for Tony? I was very happy Bobby had such a great finish. He hasn't had that good of a finish since he left Gibbs.

I must say I was surprised to see Tony hooked up with Menard....We all know how he feels about Menard. Just goes to show.....
‘You should eat a bowl of ice cream when you get home because nobody can be unhappy when they’re eating ice cream.’ Eric Medlen
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:09 pm

On Racehub tonight Bob Dillner just confirmed what Peanut posted. Mark Martin told Tony he would bump draft with him on the last green white checkers and basically left him hanging out to dry. If that is the case and I believe it is after hearing it from two good sources, Mark should not have told Tony he would push him and then chicken out. Gun shy doesn't work in the Daytona 500. I replayed the race and I can see no other explanation for what Mark Martin did.
On the other hand,Racehub had a wonderful interview with Ryan. He explained how they decided on the name Brooklyn Sage. It was a cute story. I didn't realize Ryan led the most laps. Both SHR cars worked well in the race. Their Hendrick engines lasted and until the last lap, I thought their Hendrick teamates would too! They looked really good. Oh well, next year will be a better year at Daytona :D.
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

tonycrazy

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Just because they said he and MM agreed to hook up and then didnt does not mean MM left him out to dry......they got lost in the shuffle....and couldnt regain contact.....MM would not do Tony that way.....IMO!!!!

tc

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 pm

TC nailed it, Mark wouldn't do that to Tony on purpose.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Smoke14TS wrote:TC nailed it, Mark wouldn't do that to Tony on purpose.

Mark isn't the kind of person that would do that, I believe. Something else happened and until we can find inerviews with Tony and Mark, we're just guessing.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 am

HiddenHollow wrote:
Smoke14TS wrote:TC nailed it, Mark wouldn't do that to Tony on purpose.

Mark isn't the kind of person that would do that, I believe. Something else happened and until we can find inerviews with Tony and Mark, we're just guessing.

Looking at the video of the restart and a photo of the cars as they exited the tri-oval, Mark just didn't go as quick as Tony, he wasn't right on Tony's bumper. Bobby, meanwhile, was laid into Trevor and Kurt had Montoya on his butt, so the inside line had all that momentum and just dusted them. They were out of the top five by the time they hit the backstretch, if I recall, and at that point, with a win out of the question, you gotta do what you can do for yourself.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 am

this thread is proving my point, people like to bag on other drivers because tony didnt have the outcome that was expected, martin is a pure racer, and is a man of his word, he would not bail or leave anyone to hang out and dry, it is nice to see COMMON SENSE fighting through this garbage.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 am

michaeljohn wrote:this thread is proving my point, people like to bag on other drivers because tony didnt have the outcome that was expected, martin is a pure racer, and is a man of his word, he would not bail or leave anyone to hang out and dry, it is nice to see COMMON SENSE fighting through this garbage.

Gotta agree. I hate to say it, I love my SHR buddies, but this is what drives me crazy about Tony's fans sometimes, or fans of any driver for that matter. Tony's aren't the worst, by any means, but still.

<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:39 am

Tuesday night, on Race Hub, they said they think Mark Martin was gun shy after spinning out the #18 earlier in the week. Apparently there was nothing wrong with Tony's car, he just didn't get the push he needed. Maybe MM is getting too old for racing, I hate to think so.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

Donna-Lynn

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Pay attention sunshine.. Daytona is a track where you need help drafting.. His draft partner on the last lap, gave up the ghost. I am thinking that his draft partner go scarred. No worries Tony is to smart for that he will be in first place this weekend.. Go Tony. ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Tony