FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

INDY DRIVER DIED

<<

duffygoofy

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:19 pm

INDY DRIVER DIED

Dan Wheldon passed away today in Indy Car. PRAY FOR HIS FAMILY.

RIP DAN!!!!
ImageImage
<<

belle1010

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: INDY DRIVER DIED

RIP Dan Wheldon - you will be missed.

Prayers to his family, young children, teammates, and all in the racing community.

A sad day, for sure.
"I'd wreck my mom to win a championship. I'd wreck your mom to win a championship." Tony Stewart
<<

Heather14

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:45 pm

It's like a reality check. Last night I was upset tony didn't finish better and today you see an accident like that and it makes you realize that life is so short. One turn and they could lose their life. Makes me more thankful for what tony and all these racecar drivers do. RIP Dan Weldon you will be missed! :? :cry: :cry: :cry:
<<

SmokeFan14

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Makes me even madder that people were cheering when Johnson hit that wall so hard. That was a #### scary crash, and now this....

Rest in Peace, Dan Wheldon
"Where there's Smoke, There's Racin'!"
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Any race driver is blessed to be able to walk away from a race when it's over with, crashed or not. That's why Tony says he didn't think he'd live to be this old, he understands the dangers of what he does.

That crash Johnson had, my first thoughts was back to Dale Sr's crash & prayed it didn't happen again. Johnson got lucky, Dan Wheldon did not.

My husband was watching the race at the time, I was busy getting ready to go pick something up for dinner & came in to watch the rerun of what happened. I told my husband he got killed when I seen it, he said they haven't said yet. 2 hrs later, they announced he died.

Prayers goes out to the entire family & their friends

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-10-16/dan-wheldon-dies-from-injuries-in-indycar-crash?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk1%7C104830
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm

it is sad when things like this happen, indy cars can be safe, but to have your head exposed like that always worries me, DH got to do something he loved, and im sure if he knew the outcome, he would still do it, all drivers would, regardless what media might say race car drivers are top athletes, and they deserve respect, as far as last nite goes, it made me sick to hear people cheer JJ's crash (and not because i am a JJ fan) it is because i am a race fan, i would never get xcited or cheer for a driver i dont like because he crashed, but too each there own...
I miss you Frehley........
<<

jamo14

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Great racecar driver, Indy 500 champ (2005 & 2011) and Indycar Champ (2005)
It was rumored he was a candidate to replace Danica in the godaddy machine @ Andretti Autosport.

They were exceeding 225mph in morning practice there....that alone is amazing considering they go only a little faster than that at Indy.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

im4tony

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:37 pm

belle1010 wrote:RIP Dan Wheldon - you will be missed.

Prayers to his family, young children, teammates, and all in the racing community.

A sad day, for sure.

Well said Belle. So sad. Watching the reactions of the drivers you knew the outcome couldn't be good. I missed the start of the race and turned it on after all this happened. He seemed to be a nice young man with a wonderful family. I remember watching the Indy race this year with Dan in the winner's circle.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:45 am

I came home from work during my break to watch this race. I can't believe that this is the end result. I left after the crash just praying he would be alright. It just doesn't seem fair someone so young and good witha wife and kids to be taken away from this world. But it is God's will. Racing is inherently dangerous, may God be with us all. This is why you never cheer when a driver gets wrecked NASCAR or Irl or anything. I can't stop the tears just thinking about how I grew up watching him race it just really doesn't seem worth it anymore (racing) when these things happen. RIP Dan I will miss you.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 am

I was shocked & stunned when I first heard the news. Dan & his family lived in nearby St. Petersburg and was a racing hero to the locals. I remember how proud & happy I felt when he won the Indy 500 earlier this year, considering he didn't have a full time ride this year.

The shock returned this morning when I read the story in the St. Petersburg Times.

Rest in peace, Dan Weldon. I pray for your wife, Susie and your sons, Sebastian and Oliver. Dear God, comfort them and Dan's entire family during their time of great pain. Amen.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:45 am

It gets easy to forget how dangerous racing is sometimes. We get so used to seeing "spectacular" crashes where the drivers emerge relatively unscathed(especially with open wheel cars that are designed to "come apart" on contact to dissipate energy). Incidents such as these have a way of "slapping" us back into the reality of the inherent dangers of of racing.

...btw, Danica just missed it, the initial contact happened just to her outside.
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

duffygoofy

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Feel so bad for his family. HIs parents are still in England. Can't imagaing getting that phone call from the drs or ur own kid telling u that ur son is gone.

Prays are with the family for sure.

REST IN PEACE DAN.
ImageImage
<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 pm

A very sad day yesterday. My heart goes out to his family. I heard that his wife wasn't there and saw it on TV. That's one of the parts that really bothers me, with them showing it over and over and over again and her having to watch it. I truly hope that if she wasn't there, at least maybe she had family around.

About the JJ crash Saturday night, that was an awful crash. I'm not a big fan but I've learned to respect his talent. He was very slow getting out of the car and was walking very carefully. I didn't hear any cheers, thankfully, or it would have #### me off. There's no reason to cheer over something like that, no matter who the driver is. Course, that's not to say I might smile a little over a well-timed engine failure...

RIP Dan, you will be missed
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Tinker

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Dan Wheldon Memorial Website Launched

GoDaddy.com has created a memorial website in honor of Dan Wheldon.

The memorial site, which includes a Facebook link to leave condolences and remembrances and a career photo retrospective, can be found at http://www.danwheldonmemorial.com/

Wheldon, a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner and 2005 IZOD IndyCar Series champion, was killed in a race crash Oct. 16 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. He is survived by his wife, Susie, and two young sons. Wheldon was 33.

INDYCAR will pay tribute to Wheldon with a public memorial service in the near future in Indianapolis. Further details on the service and how the public can make memorial contributions will be forthcoming.
“Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.” ~ John Wayne
<<

jamo14

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Rochelle wrote:A very sad day yesterday. My heart goes out to his family. I heard that his wife wasn't there and saw it on TV. That's one of the parts that really bothers me, with them showing it over and over and over again and her having to watch it. I truly hope that if she wasn't there, at least maybe she had family around.

About the JJ crash Saturday night, that was an awful crash. I'm not a big fan but I've learned to respect his talent. He was very slow getting out of the car and was walking very carefully. I didn't hear any cheers, thankfully, or it would have #### me off. There's no reason to cheer over something like that, no matter who the driver is. Course, that's not to say I might smile a little over a well-timed engine failure...

RIP Dan, you will be missed

his wife was there, she hopped in a courtesy car while Dan was being air-lifted to University Hospital.
His kids were there too.

That morning he had signed the contract to rejoin Andretti Autosport driving the GoDaddy machine vacated by Danica next year.

Recently, he has been testing the prototype machine that will debut next season. It is supposed to be a much safer machine.
But to be honest, if the cars fly up above into the catch fence at 225mph, it's like a cheese grader with these machines.

The coroner said blunt forced trauma to the head, dead on impact.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing