FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sorenson out, Vickers in

<<

MichaelOsceola

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:26 pm

Sorenson out, Vickers in

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/10/4/2468882/turner-motorsports-nascar-team-layoffs

Turner Motorsports has booted Reed Sorenson from his ride to "evaluate" the Nationwide Series program despite Sorenson being third in points, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.

Earlier Tuesday, Turner said it has notified its employees of a potential downsize at the end of the season, citing the departure of sponsor Dollar General and the "current economic climate" facing the organization.

Currently fielding teams in the NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series, Turner Motorsports becomes the latest team in NASCAR to likely cut jobs at the end of the year.

Sorenson's job loss was certainly a surprise. Brian Vickers will take over the No. 32 car for the next two races.
Go Ryan!
( OK, Tony & Danica too )
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: Sorenson out, Vickers in

MichaelOsceola wrote:http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/10/4/2468882/turner-motorsports-nascar-team-layoffs

Turner Motorsports has booted Reed Sorenson from his ride to "evaluate" the Nationwide Series program despite Sorenson being third in points, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.

Earlier Tuesday, Turner said it has notified its employees of a potential downsize at the end of the season, citing the departure of sponsor Dollar General and the "current economic climate" facing the organization.

Currently fielding teams in the NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series, Turner Motorsports becomes the latest team in NASCAR to likely cut jobs at the end of the year.

Sorenson's job loss was certainly a surprise. Brian Vickers will take over the No. 32 car for the next two races.

wow! I am guessing I am missing part of the story. Doesnt make sense to fire the guy 3rd in points. Wonder if there is something behind the scenes?
ImageImageImage
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Wow,that doesn't make alot of sense,i too wonder what's behind it all? :?
Junior Johnson/Cale Yarborough/Dale Earnhardt Snr./DougWolfgang
Ron Hornady/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski/Sammy Swindell
Kyle Larson and Ryan Blaney!
<<

jamo14

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 pm

crazy stuff
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

azk8ster

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:30 pm

There has GOT to be more to this than what we know
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

A2Zmama

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:52 am

azk8ster wrote:There has GOT to be more to this than what we know

Yeah....THAT.
Just because I'm a family raising, meal cooking homemaking wonder, doesn't mean I'm a desperate housewife.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 am

i think it is b.s. to let someone go with a couple races left in the season, especially when that sponsor is not coming back, i could understand if they wanted to try out new drivers because the one they have was running low in points and the sponsor wanted a new driver for next year....... in my opnion the owner bit off more that he could chew having 7 teams between truck and NW......

but this is what i found on jayski......

Dollar General leaves Turner Motorsports; headed to JGR? Turner Motorsports announced Tuesday that Reed Sorenson, who is currently third in the Nationwide Series standings, is out as driver of the #32 Dollar General Chevy. Brian Vickers will assume driving duties from Sorenson beginning this weekend at Kansas Speedway. Turner offered no reason why Sorenson has been sidelined despite the driver currently sitting third in the Nationwide Series points standings. "I'm pretty confused right now," Sorenson said. "I really don't know what's going on right now. I'm trying to figure some stuff out and get through this weekend. It's hard on me, it's hard on the guys that work on this car and where we finish in points. So it's a bad deal." The announcement comes on the same day that Turner Motorsports acknowledged that Dollar General was leaving at the end of the year. Dollar General is expected to be a limited sponsor on one of Joe Gibbs Racing's Sprint Cup cars and as a primary sponsor in the Nationwide Series. Calls to J.D. Gibbs were not returned.(FoxSports)(10-5-2011)
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:18 am

I don't get it, one win and 3rd points should be good enough to keep your ride right? If not for Justin Allgiaer (who I like more than Sorenson), Reed would more than likely be like like 20 something points back. It sucks that did this he still had a shot at the title. Going to be hard for him to find a suitable ride. Shame he is only 25 still a good driver trying to earn his way back to cup and this happens.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

jamo14

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Dollar General is also getting out of their Indycar sponshorship with Sarah Fisher Racing (who won this past weekend's race @ Kentucky by 0.0098 seconds over Ganassi's team).

You'd think they'd stay in NW racing, given it has a lot more exposure than Indycar has.

What Reed Sorenson has had to do to stay in a racecar in the past, and given his consistency this year, I sure hope he gets a ride in Cup soon.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 pm

no kidding.............. he drove for free for petty, because petty claimed they didnt have any money...
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Maybe Sorenson could drive for Gibbs in the NW series ??
Maybe he could drive for Kyle in the CWTS ??
I mean he's not THAT bad of a driver, he just keeps getting sh%t on
Maybe he could join Stremme at Inception Motorsports. I don't know who's the $$ in the operation buuuuuuuuuuuuut, supposedly there are a few veteran racing people in the organization. 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:52 pm

michaeljohn wrote:no kidding.............. he drove for free for petty, because petty claimed they didnt have any money...

if your talking about Petty's cup ride, that was the Dinger that drove for free.
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Maybe Sorenson could drive for Gibbs in the NW series ??
Maybe he could drive for Kyle in the CWTS ??
I mean he's not THAT bad of a driver, he just keeps getting sh%t on
Maybe he could join Stremme at Inception Motorsports. I don't know who's the $$ in the operation buuuuuuuuuuuuut, supposedly there are a few veteran racing people in the organization. 8-)

would be cool if one of these Cup guys cars that they dont drive full time gave Reed a quality car to finish the season. Never been much of a fan of Reed but to have this happen to you sucks. Hope he can find 5 quality rides to finish in the top 3 in points.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:no kidding.............. he drove for free for petty, because petty claimed they didnt have any money...

if your talking about Petty's cup ride, that was the Dinger that drove for free.

Not just the Dinger but Reed too. The midway part of 09 he was given the option of getting paid and losing his ride, or racing and not getting paid. He decided to race.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 pm

What i'm amazed is how a store like Dollar General can afford to sponsor a race team and felt that way when they use to first sponsor KHI NW car.There must be alot of profit money in selling junk,oh yeah Wall-Mart is famous for that! Regardless,i've never been a fan of Reed but i do feel sorry for the kid and Turner doesn't seem too stable in the Truck Series either.
Junior Johnson/Cale Yarborough/Dale Earnhardt Snr./DougWolfgang
Ron Hornady/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski/Sammy Swindell
Kyle Larson and Ryan Blaney!
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing