FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Knaus and JJ's radio chatter.

<<

tlmerk

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Knaus and JJ's radio chatter.

According to NASCAR....Essentially, Knaus told Johnson he had to do a better job of driving. Johnson insisted he was doing the best he could. At one point, Knaus told him, "If you're going to drive my car, you're going drive by my rules. I'm your crew chief and you will listen to what I say."

Johnson replied, "Chad, I'm not a little kid any more. I'm almost 36 and a half."

Gosh this struck me as funny. Was JJ joking when he said, "I am almost 36 AND A HALF?" He was P.O.d so it wouldn't really be the time to make a joke. Chad's comment didn't really surprise me but their exchange sounded so much like an overbearing mom and her child???

Just curious what others think about this comment?
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Re: Knaus and JJ's radio chatter.

tlmerk wrote:According to NASCAR....Essentially, Knaus told Johnson he had to do a better job of driving. Johnson insisted he was doing the best he could. At one point, Knaus told him, "If you're going to drive my car, you're going drive by my rules. I'm your crew chief and you will listen to what I say."

Johnson replied, "Chad, I'm not a little kid any more. I'm almost 36 and a half."

Gosh this struck me as funny. Was JJ joking when he said, "I am almost 36 AND A HALF?" He was P.O.d so it wouldn't really be the time to make a joke. Chad's comment didn't really surprise me but their exchange sounded so much like an overbearing mom and her child???

Just curious what others think about this comment?

The frustration seems to be building,but i would take it with a grain of salt as we've heard simular chatter amoung other drivers in the past with their crew chiefs as well.The #48 should bounce back at Dover, if not i'm sure we will hear more chatter of frustration and it's not like it hasn't happened before with anyone else including Tony or Happy,let alone Kurt B. who is no doubt the worst.
Last edited by wolfgang on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:28 pm

wolfgang wrote:Wouldn't suprise me if #48,#24 or the top three Roush drivers win this weekend and i'd throw Kyle in the mix too.

You peeked at my weekly picks. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: (sort of...)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:30 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:
wolfgang wrote:Wouldn't suprise me if #48,#24 or the top three Roush drivers win this weekend and i'd throw Kyle in the mix too.

You peeked at my weekly picks. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: (sort of...)

Dam,i couldn't delete it fast enough! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Knaus has always been an A$S. JJ comment about & an half is funny as #### though.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:31 pm

you may think chad is an ####, but at least he gives jj a car that drives and unlike tony gibson come on the radio like clock work " we will do better next week." that is the talk of a loser...
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:46 am

michaeljohn wrote:you may think chad is an ####, but at least he gives jj a car that drives and unlike tony gibson come on the radio like clock work " we will do better next week." that is the talk of a loser...

I honestly didnt mean it in a bad way. Just if you hear him you know when dealing with competition he is an A$S. I believe that is what makes him as good as he is. He doesnt worry about your feelings to get what he needs. Now that the media is trying to find some excuse if the 48 doesnt win it this year. (& that is all why we are hearing this kinda stuff) JJ & Chad always have comments back & forth. The media will point to some of this as why they didnt win it. Which will be all BS.
I think the Chemistry between Chad & JJ is as strong as always. I would take Chad in a heartbeat for the 39 team. Most great leaders arent known as nice guys.
Trust me, when I say Chad being an A$S, I dont think it is a bad thing. Honestly though what gets lost in lisstening to their bickering, is when Chad is pushing JJ's buttons, there is a design. The part that impresses me about Chad, is even though he is like an alpha male (for lack of better word) he knows when to back off, & let JJ go. When JJ was getting annoyed where it might affect him on the track, Chad knew when to let it go.
To be an A$S, you have to have an ego. To have an ego you have to be good at what you do.
I would take an A$S on the #39 pitbox in a heartbeat.

Honestly Chad might be the best COT CC of all time.
Right now if I had a to list my top 5 CC I would want for Ryan

1. Alan Gustafson (I believe he is has been for years highly underrated)
2. Chad Knaus (no explantion necessary)
3. Dave Rogers (When JGR switched Addington for Rogers I was one that thought huge mistake, but he has shown the abiltiy to make strong cars from the get go & to adjust bad cars to get good finishes, on top of dealing with Kyles antics. he is a CC I gave less credit too than was due)
4. Bob Osbourne (I believe one of the smarter outside the box thinkers)
5. Mike Ford (dont think he is underrated but would mix well with Ryan)
ImageImageImage
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:03 am

I wouldn't say Chad is an ####, but I would definitely describe him as absolutely ruthless.

As for the radio chatter, that's how these things go sometimes. Not as big a deal as is being made out of it. Those two have had days where they sounded like the Beaver and Wally ("Gee willickers!") and days where they sounded like a Hatfield and a McCoy stuck in a 5x5 room together.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 am

ruthless? ya make it like he is a spy or a hit man, the object of racing is to win, not be a mid packer, either you like chad, or you dont, but there is one thing you can not deny is his work ethic, he is the hardest working CC in the garage hands down, he will sit there and study 4 or 5 races of the track they are going to and study what the trends were, how his team reacted, just like saturday walking up and down pit road looking at all the tires from every Nw car, he maybe labeled a cheater by fans, but at least he is pushing to see what he can and cant do with the car, something tells me the SHR CC's dont do that, i for one am glad Chad is there to help JJ win and run consistent, so they had a spat on the radio, JJ said he was upset cuz he and the 18 were leaning on each other and the car went south after that, at least it isnt a thing like kurt actin like a lil baby when things dont go his way, and belittles the crew....
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 am

"Ruthless" wasn't an insult. I've heard other people in racing described that way, people who just go all out to achieve their objective - victory - with cool indifference to human emotion.

When the pressure of trying to win isn't on him, Chad seems like a nice-enough fellow, but in race situations, he'd throw a drowning man a bottle of water. That isn't to his discredit. There's nothing wrong with how he goes about it.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

tlmerk

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:48 pm

I am not an expert on Chad Knaus but I just see him mostly in the media and hear him on radio chatter sometimes. I think ruthless is an excellent way to describe his "racing" persona. I think he gets results and makes great calls, but I would rather not win a championship and have someone else as my CC. No one can doubt his ability as a CC but also no one can doubt his ruthlessness and condescending attitude. You can win with the devil, but is it worth losing your soul (and/or your reputation)? LOL You can argue with that MJ and other Chad fans but his rep for cheating is nothing new.

Either that or he likes to posture a lot in the media with throwing out sound bites he knows will get picked up.

I thought it was equally comical during this race how much Chad kissed JJ's butt on the radio, seemingly to make up for last week's encounter. It was getting sickening sweet how Chad kept gushing about what a great job JJ was doing. Give me a break! UGH!

I like JJ but I don't like Chad. I think he is talented but I would never want him at SHR. I don't think Chad could last at SHR. Tony would not take his superior attitude (there's only room for one Alpha dog) and Ryan would probably end up kicking his azz.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:17 pm

in a heartbeat tony or ryan, would take someone like him, tony is a blowhard and your right their personalities wouldnt mix, and i seriously doubt ryan would kick chads ####, if anyone needs an #### kicking is that turd tony gibson...
<<

tlmerk

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:26 pm

yeah, you're right about Ryan probably not kicking his butt, but I can't imagine him allowing Chad to tell him.."You're driving my car, and you will do what I say." (Paraphrased as I don't want to take the time right now to look up the exact quote.)

And I am biased where Chad is concerned. I like JJ and I hate the fact that he has to put up with a CC like Chad even though I definitely agree Chad is the reason why JJ wins so much. Catch 22. You have to admit, it's a weird relationship dynamic.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:04 pm

tlmerk wrote:yeah, you're right about Ryan probably not kicking his butt, but I can't imagine him allowing Chad to tell him.."You're driving my car, and you will do what I say." (Paraphrased as I don't want to take the time right now to look up the exact quote.)

And I am biased where Chad is concerned. I like JJ and I hate the fact that he has to put up with a CC like Chad even though I definitely agree Chad is the reason why JJ wins so much. Catch 22. You have to admit, it's a weird relationship dynamic.

I disagree. I think Ryan would love to have Chad (he might not invite him to dinner but...)
If Ryan had cars that were as good of handling as the 48. Why would Ryan be upset.
If Ryan had an ill handling car & told Chad what was wrong & then pitted & Chad fixed it. Why would Ryan be upset.
Only time I ever hear Ryan losing his cool, is when no matter what info he gives his CC the car keeps going to ####. Until he starts calling out what adjustments to make. So if he takes a few comments from Chad but has a good car, I dont think he would mind all that much.
Also you have to realize that Chad is a smart mother ....... He says certain things to his driver with a purpose. The way he treats JJ, may be completely different than the way he talks to another driver he is CCing. So all in all, I would love to see that combo, & I dont think Ryan would mind it at all. Although my 1st choice for Ryan & his demeanor would be AG. Think that would be an awesome combo.
As far as Tony, not to sure those two would make a good combo. Although Zippy wasnt always nice to Tony & they only won two championships together.
ImageImageImage
<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Personally, I think Chad is the best cc there is. I saw a show (I can't remember which one), but it showed him at home during the week. He was still working and they talked about how much time (most of the day and half the night) he actually spends working. Without a doubt, he's the smartest cc in the garage (imo). All you have to do is listen to him talk on NASCAR Performance. And he's very competitive, sometimes it seems like even more than JJ. And no, he and Tony would never mesh but I think Ryan would appreciate his intelligence and dedication. I really don't think much of TG at all.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing