Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 am

Re: Tony says his car is bad to the bone

Still feeling it...a toast to Tony with my morning coffee:

Here's to me
Here's to you
Excuse me, pardon me
Coming Through

Go Smoke Go
I strive to live by the Golden Rule, do you?
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:08 am

Re: Tony says his car is bad to the bone

Smoke_14 wrote:Tony is not points racing these last two races. He has already said this weekend that a win is what he needs abd that is his goal.

Well, not according to quotes from an article in our newspaper this morning. It sure sounds to me like he is points racing.

****************************************************************************************

Stewart steadfast in shaky '11

The two-time Cup champ has an air of calm amid a tenuous Chase position.

Times Wires
In Print St Petersburg Times - Sunday Sept. 4, 2011

HAMPTON, Ga. - Tony Stewart looked nice and relaxed during a sponsor appearance Friday. Good try, Smoke. The heat is clearly on Stewart, who has slogged his way through a winless season and finds himself barely clinging to his perennial spot in the Sprint Cup Chase for the Championship.

TS1.jpg
TS1.jpg (153.64 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Tony Stewart has 39 Sprint Cup victories including at least one each year he has been in the series (since 1999). He has multiple victories in every year but one (in 2008) but has yet to reach Victory Lane this season.

Now he heads to Atlanta Motor Speedway for tonight's AdvoCare 500, which could be viewed as his last stand. Stewart has three wins at the l.54-mile oval, including last year's race on Labor Day weekend, so this is a good chance to get a little breathing room.

Stewart has a tenuous 2I-point lead for the 10th and final automatic spot in NASCAR's 10-race playoff, with hard-charging Brad Keselowski on his heels. If Stewart, a two-time Cup champion, drops to 11th he'll be in real trouble since the two wildcards are likely to go to drivers who've actually won a race this season.

"I can't say I'm ecstatic where we're at," Stewart said. "But I don't think anybody really is. I think everybody feels like there are things they can do better and some of those organizations are questioning what they have to do to get better. We're one of those teams right now."

After tonight there's only one more event before the playoff field is set: next weekend's shorttrack race at Richmond.

"We're still 21 points to the good of where we need to be," Stewart said. "We just need to maintain it. Obviously, if we had a win this weekend, we wouldn't have to worry about it next week. So it would be a luxury to win the race this week, but it's not a necessity."

The 40-year-old Indiana native has missed the Chase only once, and even then it turned out to be quite a successful season. He won three times after failing to qualify for the playoff and finished with five wins overalI, matching the second-most in his career.

Stewart has had at least one victory every season since moving from IndyCar in 1999, but that streak is in jeopardy even as his teammate in the 3-year-old Stewart-Haas team which he co-owns sits in a more comfortable spot. Ryan Newman is seventh in points and has one win in 201l.

Some have speculated that Stewart is stretched thin, running his own team and forced to take on even more duties since he ousted competition director Bobby Hutchens in June.

And on top of all of that Stewart has been hustling to add a third car in 2012. Danica Patrick is committed to running a partial schedule for Stewart, who hopes to find enough sponsorship to make it a fuIl-time ride, to be shared with at least one other driver (Mark Martin maybe?)

But for now Stewart is defending his spot, both from critics and from those chasing him.

"Everybody keeps saying last ditch and we have to make something happen," he said. ''We don't have to make anything happen. We're in the spot we're supposed to be in and need to be in for the Chase. We just have to not have a disaster happen. We just need two solid weeks."
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
Previous

Return to Tony