Scott Speed will attempt to qualify for Sunday’s Brickyard 400, driving the No. 37 Max Q Motorsports Ford Fusion.
Speed’s NASCAR Sprint Cup career had been in limbo since Red Bull Racing dropped him at the end of last season. Speed subsequently sued Red Bull for breach of contract, with litigation still pending.
Max Q Motorsports is owned by Larry Gunselman and its No. 37 Ford is 39th in driver points this season, with Tony Raines behind the wheel for most of the season.
Speed will drive the car in the next three Cup races - Indy, Pocono and Watkins Glen — “with hopes of continuing the rest of the 2011 season pending sponsorship,” according to a team release issued Monday afternoon.
For his career, Speed has 76 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts, with one top five and three top 10s. He also has eight top 10s in 13 starts in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, and one win, four top fives and nine top 10s in 16 starts in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
Earlier this year, he entered the Indianapolis 500 with Dragon Racing, but after practicing for the race, parted ways with the team prior to qualifying.
“I am excited to get back to the track,” said Speed. “Max Q Motorsports seem to have a good operation and a great group of guys working on the 37. Ford has a great engine package so I’m hopeful that we can get the ball rolling quickly and be competitive out the gate.”
“We are excited to have Scott Speed join us,” said Larry Gunselman, Max Q Motorsports owner. “He has shown great talent in a small period of time in stock cars and with the right operation I think things can really take off. We will start by focusing on qualifying and go from there.”
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]color]