FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

the week of heat reminds me of....................

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 am

the week of heat reminds me of....................

i went to dallas in the summer of 1991 to pay my respects to the man Stevie Vaughan, and everyday i was there it broke 95-100 by 11am, what made it worse was the hotel i was staying at, kept the thermometer locked, so u couldnt make the room colder, that was probably the hottest week i remember until this week, feels like dead air out there, yuck,
im sure ya'll have your own stories to share bout the heat..........
<<

justlisa

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:56 am

Re: the week of heat reminds me of....................

I remember being in Florida in August UGH! Humidity was awful. I got sun poisoning, bit by some mutant looking crab, the bugs had landing gear and woke up to find a snake the size of huge outside my Nonna sun room door. Besides that it was not until recently that the humidity has really bothered me. I will take the heat over the cold any day, I hate the snow and ice any more.
<<

tonycrazy

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:38 am

justlisa wrote:I remember being in Florida in August UGH! Humidity was awful. I got sun poisoning, bit by some mutant looking crab, the bugs had landing gear and woke up to find a snake the size of huge outside my Nonna sun room door. Besides that it was not until recently that the humidity has really bothered me. I will take the heat over the cold any day, I hate the snow and ice any more.

Only u Lisa....lol....
And those temps ur talking bout MJ...we have them most of the summer...from June thru most of Sept.....and even into Oct.....yup im ready to head north or northwest!!!! ugh...i hate the heat... :oops:

tc

<<

jamo14

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 am

reminds me of high school wrestling practice
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

smoke14rulez

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 am

jamo14 wrote:reminds me of high school wrestling practice

...uhhmm...you DO know you said that out loud, right... :o :shock: ;) :lol:
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

jamo14

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am

smoke14rulez wrote:

sure do, and I remember dropping 30 pounds in 2 weeks after high school football was over so I could compete too.
my daily routine consisted of practice @ 6am, school, plain lettuce for lunch & some water to drink (just a little), finish out the schoolday, then more practice after school.
our practice room was always 85 degrees from overhead heaters throughout, while wearing sweatpants & sweatshirt.
I loved AND hated every minute of it :D

for some odd reason (note the sarcasm), I aquired a eating disorder :arrow: I only eat once a day :lol:
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

longtimetonyfan

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 am

When I was a kid my family had a very large farm. My Dad didn't have any boys, so the girls had to learn to work in the fields. I got up hay back when they didn't have the large round bales that are moved with the tractor. Heat and humidity was nearly unbearable, and you had to wear a long sleeve shirt to keep from getting scratched and cut to pieces. Between the hay and dirt flying it stuck to you like glue due to being covered in sweat. Even though we kept hydrated from the "water bucket that everyone drank from" you'd nearly pass out from the heat. Somehow I managed to survive, so I guess I'll survive this heat, too.............somehow!
remember to enjoy life.....none of us are going to get out alive anyway
<<

jsw14

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:52 pm

& it's not even August yet! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hmmmm, maybe I'll regret sayin that sooooo soooooon!!! :roll:
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

justlisa

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm

My hot is hot, my hair is nappy , have humidity swollen eyes and I can not say enough about comfortable underwear in the weather. I am grateful for ice, ice coffee and Ac. Nuff said stay cool everyone and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
<<

justlisa

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:32 pm

jamo14 wrote:
smoke14rulez wrote:

sure do, and I remember dropping 30 pounds in 2 weeks after high school football was over so I could compete too.
my daily routine consisted of practice @ 6am, school, plain lettuce for lunch & some water to drink (just a little), finish out the schoolday, then more practice after school.
our practice room was always 85 degrees from overhead heaters throughout, while wearing sweatpants & sweatshirt.
I loved AND hated every minute of it :D

for some odd reason (note the sarcasm), I aquired a eating disorder :arrow: I only eat once a day :lol:
UGH! I remember running, and having Satan for a coach and tears in my eyes at pratice in the suumer :(
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:18 pm

2 "Super Hot" Memories....

1) When Disneyland had been open for only a few years, my family went. ( Let's see.... that would make me a fetus or 'just a gleam in my dad's eye', at the time.... hee hee hee ) We were on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride... and the ride got stuck.... right between the booming, fighting cannons! (( Seriously? ! LOL )) It was soooooo hot and we were all stuck, for about an hour, I think. I remember 2 things ( besides the cannons ) dripping sweat.... and looking at a little restaurant they had, that was in a cool cave... and people were drinking ice tea.

2nd was camping, on the other side of Lake Tahoe. That summer when we were camping, about all you could do, was drag yourself to the water, get in & splash around, get out, get dry... and do it all over again! :-) It was 'stupid hot' and melting just about all the food items and even some equipment. Beans were cooking in the can....bread was melting... there just wasn't enough ice chests or ice, that trip.

Where I live, we get HOT HOT HOT summers ( as some of my friends may well know by now LOL ) in the 100's, but so far, nothing over, say 107. This sun eats car covers ( went thru 3 ), patio umbrella's, market stand covers... and even breaks outdoor thermometers, in the sun!

That's why this month I went and bought a lil kid pool.... so I can do the "ice tea plunge" :-)
I seriously suggest it, to everyone! LOL
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 pm

I work outside in the heat each and every day, been doing it for 26 years at the US Postal Service. You NEVER get used to it----it is Africa hot in Texas!! Luckily I am an outdoors-y person since when I get home I'm am either cleaning up after horses or watering my spectacular garden!!

I just wish my $45.00 underwear didn't get so sticky and damp.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 pm

all the neighborhood bank signs were flashing "WTF" all day today. :o
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Somokieonefour reminded me of my Disneyland adventure after it was only open 2 or 3 years. I had no idea what California Augusts were as I'm a Michigan girl. I went to Disneyland with tennis shoes on and no socks. We were there for hours and I burned the crap out of my feet. We went to Carls Shoes and bought just about every color flip flop they had. It took close to a week for the feet to heal. When we went to Disney World in Florida I was only there 3 hours and then spent the rest of my time at the pool. I'm not really into theme parks as my children and husband are.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:48 pm

My brain has already fried, can't think of any.

I can't take hot weather too well, never could even when younger. I'd get light headed. I remember being out boating & had to dip some paper towels in the water to put around my wrists & neck. It was a time I couldn't get in the water that weekend (women know what I'm talking about, I was young then). Then the boat lost it's berring & the propeller wouldn't turn & we were stuck in the middle of Brookville Lake (Indiana). It was probably 30 mins before someone saw our disgress red flag I tied on the end of an orr & the people to tow us to shore.

One summer as a teen I went to the public pool in Paris, TN. with my uncle & we spent 4 hrs straight in the water with 100+ temps. I forget why we didn't walk on down to the TN. River to swim in as that's where we usually would swim. I got blisters big time on my shoulders that I couldn't even raise my arms up it hurt so bad. I turned so nice & deep tan, but being that burnt, I peeled dispite using vinegar on a grocery sack to soak my sunburn with. You do that & it helps take the sting out of the sunburn (if you can get past the vinegar smell) & helps with peeling. But I was so burt & couldn't stand the vinegar for too long, the smell started burning my eyes.

Last yr. Dollywood we snuck in frozen water bottles into the park. Temp was 114 & I had to use it on the back of my neck every little bit to keep from passing out with heat. On days that hot, they give out free cups of water to drink. They didn't say anything when they seen the water bottle I was using. I told the worker who came up to me that it was for me to help try keeping cool with. My face was so red & I wasn't feeling too great anyway, she was wanting me to go to the medic to cool down because I looked bad to her. I told her I would if I felt the least bit worse & that my kids & husband was inside this one ride & I was waiting on them.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
Next

Return to The Lobby