FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Smoke Pit

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am

Smoke Pit

Who all here is a member? Is it worth the $35? I'm seriously contemplating joining for the first time.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Smoke Pit

im sure it is worth it, i pay 148.00 for JJ's club, but a majority of that money goes to his foundation, plus they send ya a lot of stuff for the money........
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:29 pm

It depends on how much you intend of spending in a years time. You'll get a discount on items you purchase with your card, I believe it's 20% off? I hardly used it so I didn't benefit much. I didn't renew, I saved my $35 & buy stuff I want.

Your $35 fee really just covers the kit items they send you. I'd rather spend it on something I really want instead. It saved me a lot last yr when I bought clothing for me & the kids, but other than that (the other few yrs), I didn't save much. You can't use it on model cars though & at the race tracks.

Last year they didn't have the fan club picnic. That was the only thing they done before & it was always in Indy right after the Indy race in the summer.

So it's just up to you if you want to give it a try or not. Only had one contest last yr that I know of too.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

PosieFor14

Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:36 am

I'm a member 2 years in a row now, and I don't think that the $35 membership fee is a waste of money, because you do get a t-shirt, some decals, a sunglasses case with a Smoke Sharpie, chapstick and can koozie, plus there were also hero cards for Tony, Ryan and the TSR open wheel drivers, and I think that was worth the money. Then you get the discount on Tony Stewart Store merchandise and also get that discount if you shop at the Stewart Haas Race Shop. I will renew again in the fall.
When you go, do not follow the well worn path, instead make your own path and leave a trail.
<<

belle1010

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:42 am

Another option would be to join the TSF Lap Leaders. I do a monthly donation to his charity and get quarterly gifts. They are awesome! Autographed photos, tote bags, aluminum water bottle, and little odds and ends. I love it! I think the minimum donation is like $14/mo, but it goes to a good cause.
"I'd wreck my mom to win a championship. I'd wreck your mom to win a championship." Tony Stewart
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 am

I would do like Belle, I think you'd be happier doing that. I know I would, but can't afford that right now. Just shelled out just short of 2G for 2 sets of braces for my kids for a downpayment. Got myself a 2 yr payment plan to get them paid off. If it wasn't for that, I'd go that route instead.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:08 pm

My feeling about "their" charity is just that and fan clubs are a waste of money! Thirty five dollars could be money towards a nice collectable or a nice t-shirt of your fav driver.Just my opinion,but hey the only club i joined was Dale Juniors because it's FREE and for FREE i got a hat and decal and Jr. gets involved with the fans and gives discounts on all purchases.What does it cost for a hat and decal,think about it? When Tony or Kevin give me a hat i'll wear it,till then i'm wearing Jrs.! My point of view,nothing personal toward Tony or Kevin,just bussiness as it is for them! Free often times can be obtained by the sponsors too,do Cup drivers really need thirty five dollars from the average working class who support them anyhow?
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:54 pm

wolfgang wrote:My feeling about "their" charity is just that and fan clubs are a waste of money! Thirty five dollars could be money towards a nice collectable or a nice t-shirt of your fav driver.Just my opinion,but hey the only club i joined was Dale Juniors because it's FREE and for FREE i got a hat and decal and Jr. gets involved with the fans and gives discounts on all purchases.What does it cost for a hat and decal,think about it? When Tony or Kevin give me a hat i'll wear it,till then i'm wearing Jrs.! My point of view,nothing personal toward Tony or Kevin,just bussiness as it is for them! Free often times can be obtained by the sponsors too,do Cup drivers really need thirty five dollars from the average working class who support them anyhow?

I :roll:
Last edited by duffygoofy on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:09 pm

i was informed by a member in another thread that i was a loser for paying 148.00 to the JJ foundation, i guess i am a loser when i write checks for cancer research and autism, this is why i will never be a tony stewart fan, its always one or two people that give his fans a bad name, so go on huckleberry tell them, but im sure you will have an excuse for saying what you did......... but they already know your ms negativity, and no that was not a typo, because your my lil B :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<<

tonysgirl14

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 pm

yes it is great site and great gifts for signing up for it
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Wolfgang, on this one.

I find it insane that some drivers charge their fan base to be their fans!

I don't care if the money goes to Mother Theresa, starving kittens & puppies, their foundations, their charities, or for the crap ( *flash* ) they send you... it's just ridiculous, to me.

They can make it free... and put all the crap they send you for sale, and let you buy what you want.

It's my understanding that Tony's Smoke Pit site went PAY, after there was nasty stuff being said about his personal life, on the site. Wham - Bam, they closed it and re-opened it with a charge. Another way of finding out just who is who .... and what you're saying on their board. Seems a lot of folks with a negative opinion just don't want to have to pay, to express it.

The idea of charging also speaks to "exclusivity" - only the people with "extra" money in their pockets can enter. If you pay all your money to support your family... then you are not welcome here. Only people who wear ties, sip martini's and buy Lamborghini's. ;-)

SERIOUSLY.... am I "too poor" to be a part of that network??????
If so... then that sucks the BIG one.

If I was a driver, like Tony Stewart.... I'd buy all kinds of *flash* to GIVE AWAY to my fans... get my face, number, team, sponsors, ( what ever ) OUT THERE and ON people. All the "flash" could be written off as an expense in advertising. I'd also make a FREE website where my fans could come and meet each other.... oh wait.... ;-) Well... 1 out 2 aint bad. ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

jamo14

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 pm

I don't think $35 falls under the category of people who wear ties, sip martinis, or drive Lamborghini's.

To me it falls under the category of people who wear clip-on ties, chug beer, and those who have an internet connection.
After all, it is cheaper than a carton of cigarettes that last only a week (talking about ridiculous).
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:41 pm

boy oh boy, i could go on a rant here, but screw it im not, when it comes down to it, it is a personal choice, if i choose to give my money to a charitable organization, well guess what that is my call, i worked for the money, that doesnt make me any better than the next person, it is just something ive been doing all my life,
yea i like to wear nice clothes too, 200 dollar dress shirts 100 dollar ties, sports coats, #### my underwear cost me 45 dollars a piece, but that is my vice in life wearing nice clothes, i dont drink, i dont smoke (btw jam, a carton of ciggies here in pa are 60 bucks, so talk about a waste of money, that is more foolish then joining anyone's club, all you get from that is cancer.)

i have to go now, the butler just rang for dinner, plus i have a busy nite, watching my ilegal alien worker cut my grass and wash my chevy.........
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Everyone's values in life are different. What one person thinks is important is piddly stuff to another. It's just a matter of choice in what you, yourself likes.

The best you can do before you join ANY fan club is to read about what it offers.

Sometimes sites may not be up to date on what they do or don't do in their clubs. Like saying contests or get-togethers. With that in mind, it's best to ask what currently is going on, what's coming up, what has happened with the particular club. Find out from people who are members & make your decision by finding out just really what goes on. If you don't believe the people, call the club up direct & ask questions to ease your mind what is really what.

From that, decide on what you're looking for, discount on stuff you buy, or you just want the gifts for joining (though that membership fee is what pays for them free items), or you're after activities like contests or picnics & such. Every fan club I'm sure is different.

(That old VIP Smoke Club was a paid membership, I almost joined it 3-4 yrs ago, but the yr I decided to join, I was informed it was being shut down & would be combined with this one here & be free. It was a seperate fan club fee from the old regular fan club. If you was already a fan club member, you got a small discount for the Smoke VIP club).

Like I said, FOR ME, it wasn't worth spending $35. I rather use that to buy something I really want to have instead. It doesn't make me any less of a Stewart fan just because I didn't join his fan club. I don't really spend enough in items to make up for the $35 membership fee to collect on the discount you get for being a member. That's how I feel for myself. Any fan club gatherings I didn't get to anyway even thought it was just over at Indy. I still coudn't make it. You still had to pay to attend anyway when they done it & it was $30 or $35 to attend. It still went on whether Tony was there or not too.

So good luck in what you decide to do.
Smoke
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:54 pm

I have been reading this thread and was going to zip my lip but not anymore. The original post was just asking for opinions...and now it has become a class warfare thread. Personally I don't need anyone here to give me advice on how to spend as little(to me anyway) as 35.00. I don't know much about the other drivers foundations but Tony with his celebrity has proven to be quite formidable as a do gooder in anyones book. And yet some of you wish to quibble about(lets call it what it is) promotional crap. I consider this as being a small part of something big and a donation to someone who is able to make a significant change in someone elses life.

I would like to get back to more important stuff...how many of you out there wear $45.00 underwear?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
Next

Return to Tony