FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Last pit stop

<<

im4tony

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:59 am

Last pit stop

Did I really see that Tony was the only driver to take 4 tires and gas? All the others took gas or 2 tires and gas. Poor decision making. The word from the Nationwide race on Friday was 2 tires did the trick.

If that was Darian's call than Tony should be questioning his decision.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 am

Re: Last pit stop

They had to pit earlier because of the cycle where they stayed out to get track position. Darian probably figured - and rightfully so - that pitting with 36 to go, they pretty much needed to take four.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:29 am

Smoke14TS wrote:They had to pit earlier because of the cycle where they stayed out to get track position. Darian probably figured - and rightfully so - that pitting with 36 to go, they pretty much needed to take four.

...yep, they needed more fuel to make it...may as well do 4, it cost little if any more time. Those guys who came in late only needed a splash of fuel...4 seconds or so, tires would have been costly to them.
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:49 am

Fuel strategy got them up into the top 5 during the 2nd half of the race, but it cost them a bit towards the end. Really though, they need to figure out how to get going on these restarts. Not sure if it is the tire pressures they run, or what, but every race it seems they are getting killed on the restarts. With 3 to go, they started 10th, on the outside and had guys in front of them that had no tires or 2, and they fell back to 12th. I don't understand how that happens, when Newman goes from 9th to 4th on the same run.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:21 am

For some reason restarts have never seemed to be Tony's strong suit. Even in the Gibbs days, you could always figure out where he was on a restart by looking for the gap.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

<<

bray536

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Darian hasn't made one intelligent call the entire season. I love Tony Stewart the driver, but Tony Stewart the owner gets a giant F in my book for putting up with the incompetence of his crew. Even when Darian actually made the correct call (playing the fuel mileage game) he miscalculated and cost Tony more positions than not playing the fuel mileage game at all. He honestly may be the WORST crew chief in the business. The cars don't handle, the pits stops are slow, and the in-race decision making is terrible.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:03 pm

bray536 wrote:Darian hasn't made one intelligent call the entire season. I love Tony Stewart the driver, but Tony Stewart the owner gets a giant F in my book for putting up with the incompetence of his crew. Even when Darian actually made the correct call (playing the fuel mileage game) he miscalculated and cost Tony more positions than not playing the fuel mileage game at all. He honestly may be the WORST crew chief in the business. The cars don't handle, the pits stops are slow, and the in-race decision making is terrible.

You seem to have it all figured out. Feel free to hop on that 14 pit box and do it then.

<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Darien has been making good calls this year. Would have won Atlanta if Tony didn't speed in the pits and has put Tony in position a few times late in the race to get a solid finishes. Their short track program is really off but their 1.5 stuff has been solid. I don't think the problem is Darien.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Smoke_14 wrote:Darien has been making good calls this year. Would have won Atlanta if Tony didn't speed in the pits and has put Tony in position a few times late in the race to get a solid finishes. Their short track program is really off but their 1.5 stuff has been solid. I don't think the problem is Darien.

I know you mean Texas but if that ends up being what happens to Atlanta and costs him the win while I'm there, your #### is mine....

<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Well until you endure watching Tony get passed by 10 cars a lap for 3 hours like I did at Dover earlier this year, I wouldn't complain about anything.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:33 am

Smoke_14 wrote:Well until you endure watching Tony get passed by 10 cars a lap for 3 hours like I did at Dover earlier this year, I wouldn't complain about anything.

I watched him get passed by Johnson with a lap and a half left at Atlanta four years ago. So I kind of have room, I think.

<<

jamo14

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 am

he wasn't the only one to take 4 tires near the end
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Smoke_14

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:16 am

Smoke14TS wrote:
Smoke_14 wrote:Well until you endure watching Tony get passed by 10 cars a lap for 3 hours like I did at Dover earlier this year, I wouldn't complain about anything.

I watched him get passed by Johnson with a lap and a half left at Atlanta four years ago. So I kind of have room, I think.

Really? I watched the same thing happen at Dover 2 years ago. Let's not talk about who suffered the most watching Tony run. I'm not even sure how this all started, when we agreed on the original point of the topic. Darian made the call to get Tony track position. Circumstances didn't turn out for the 14, and it cost him in the end. Overall, he ran well, and was capable of a top-5, which really, if we keep doing long enough, will get him those finishes.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 am

Smoke_14 wrote:
Smoke14TS wrote:

Really? I watched the same thing happen at Dover 2 years ago. Let's not talk about who suffered the most watching Tony run. I'm not even sure how this all started, when we agreed on the original point of the topic. Darian made the call to get Tony track position. Circumstances didn't turn out for the 14, and it cost him in the end. Overall, he ran well, and was capable of a top-5, which really, if we keep doing long enough, will get him those finishes.

I was joking with you. Sheesh

Return to Tony