FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Heroes

<<

SmokeFan14

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Heroes

I have XM and I am so glad that Channel 62 to is the Radio Classics where I can listen to those great old radio programs like The Shadow, Dragnet, Life of Riley, The Whistler, The Saint, Fibber McGee & Molly, Johnny dollar, all those great programs from http://www.gregbellmedia.com/
At the Holidays it was great listening to all the Christmas programs, like Bob Hope & Bing Crosby as they did their shows to the troops during the Second World War.

Things like this are timeless, endless, and still some of the best things on radio.
"Where there's Smoke, There's Racin'!"
<<

peanut1439

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for this thread s14...
When I was young, we still had the ice truck that brought ice for our fridge. The iceman would let us have shavings at the back of the truck, Had to brush off the straw to suck on them.
The milkman came in the house and brought milk, cream, eggs and butter. He'd take the washed bottles with him.
I could go on and on but one thing I do remember was the "Good Guys wore White Hats and the Bad Guys wore Black Hats" Gene Autry & Hopalong were my faves.
Thanks for the nice memory blog !!!
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

justlisa

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:06 am

HiddenHollow wrote:Did you have the Good Humor ice cream truck going door to door? I loved the Toasted Almond. :D

Yes, I remember the milk box by the back door. Ours was delivered by Hood, if I remember correctly... or was it A.C. Petersen?!? We also had a local bakery that delivered pasteries door to door. Good stuff.

OMG toasted almond is still my favorite!
<<

tonysgirl14

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:50 am

do you remember getting ice chunks getting delivered to your door for your ice box?
<<

peanut1439

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 am

Yes I do. Like I said earlier, they were ice blocks for the ice box. They would give us kids the ice shavings to suck on. I still call my fridge the "Ice Box" LOL
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

im4tony

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks for the walk down memory lane today.When I was a little girl we had milk delivered to our door also. Had ice cream trucks when I was really little and can still remember the sound the door made when he got the ice cream or popsicle out--but when I was 12, 13 we had Jolly Roger with the soft ice cream cones, now that was a real treat. We would play baseball in the street until we couldn't see the ball and then have a cone and talk all night till we got called in. We also played euchre when it was too hot to run around.

Loved all the westerns on TV and when I was sick and had to stay home always watched "I Love Lucy".

That's right Peanuts, White hats for the good guys.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:48 pm

The "ice box" was just a little bit before my time... but not by much.

I put away a lot of Good Humor Toasted Almond bars during summer vacation, Lisa. YUM!! I could go for one right now. Wonder if they still are made the same way and would still taste the same today?!?
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Guess what I got to do today! I heard Hoppy's Gone! Thank you again Smokieonefour, its a nice song.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:34 pm

"I love it when a plan comes through." - - George Peppard, The A-Team

You are so welcome Nana :-) You put a smile on MY face, so thanks for that. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
Previous

Return to The Lobby