Skip to content

SHR Post-Race Recap: Las Vegas

Date:  Oct. 16, 2022
Event:  South Point 400 (Round 33 of 36)
Series:  NASCAR Cup Series
Format:  267 laps, broken into three stages (80 laps/85 laps/102 laps)
Race Winner:  Joey Logano of Team Penske

SHR Race Finish:
●  Chase Briscoe (Started 16th, Finished 4th / Running, completed 267 of 267 laps)
●  Kevin Harvick (Started 13th, Finished 12th / Running, completed 267 of 267 laps)
●  Aric Almirola (Started 23rd, Finished 18th / Running, completed 267 of 267 laps)
●  Cole Custer (Started 24th, Finished 20th / Running, completed 267 of 267 laps)

SHR Points:
●  Chase Briscoe (6th with 4,042 points, nine points below Championship 4 cutoff)
●  Kevin Harvick (16th with 2,035 points)
●  Aric Almirola (20th with 704 points)
●  Cole Custer (26th with 517 points)

Playoff Standings (with two races to go before Championship 4):

1.   Joey Logano (4,084 points) 1 win
2.   Ross Chastain (4,063 points) +18
3.   Chase Elliott (4,062 points) +17
4.   Denny Hamlin (4,051 points) +6
5.   William Byron (4,045 points) -6
6.   Chase Briscoe (4,042 points) -9
7.   Ryan Blaney (4,040 points) -11
8.   Christopher Bell (4,028 points) -23

SHR Notes:
●  Briscoe earned his fifth top-five of the season and his first top-five in four career NASCAR Cup Series starts at Las Vegas.
●  Briscoe’s fourth-place result bettered his previous best finish at Las Vegas – 14th, earned last September.
●  This was Briscoe’s eighth top-10 this season and his fourth straight. He finished fifth Sept. 25 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, 10th Oct. 2 at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway and ninth last Sunday at the Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway Roval.
●  Briscoe led once for six laps – his first laps led at Las Vegas.
●  This was Harvick’s third straight top-15 at Las Vegas. He finished ninth in September 2021 and 12th this past March.●  Harvick finished seventh in Stage 2 to earn four bonus points.

Sound Bites:
“We weren’t the greatest at the start of the race and, obviously, it didn’t really matter there at the end. We put ourselves in position and, when I was running second and Justin (Haley) was in the lead, I wish that that run would’ve gone to the end. I feel like I was probably going to get by him in the next five laps. We had such a big gap compared to everyone else. Nobody else had tires. We were all on equal tires. On that last restart, I just didn’t get the job done. The 31 (Haley) stalled me out and let Ross (Chastain) put us three wide, which put me in a really bad spot into (turn) three. When you give up the lead, you’re kind of just stuck. Who knows? Those guys were coming on tires and I doubt I would’ve been able to hold them off, but I would’ve felt better about it if I had the opportunity. We kept ourselves in the ballgame and still have a lot of work to do, but we still have a chance. We’re running the best we have all year long, and that is about all you can ask for.” – Chase Briscoe, driver of the No. 14 Code 3 Associates Ford Mustang

Next Up:
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Dixie Vodka 400 on Sunday, Oct. 23 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. It is the eighth race of the 10-race NASCAR Playoffs and the second race in the Round of 8. The Dixie Vodka 400 starts at 2:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by NBC and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.

-SHR-