FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hamilton and Stewart in F1/NASCAR car swap

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Hamilton and Stewart in F1/NASCAR car swap

kevinmboots77 wrote:I just got home from watching it! Lewis did an awesome burn out with the #14 right in front of me! It was great. I'll post pictures later.

Great! Can't wait to see 'em! :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:19 am

Stewart, Hamilton all smiles after car swap at WGI

By JOHN KEKIS, AP Sports Writer

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (AP)—Lewis Hamilton looked at Tony Stewart, smiled and gave a thumbs-up.

“Shake and bake. That’s what we’re going to do,” Hamilton said Tuesday as he climbed behind the wheel of Stewart’s No. 14 Chevrolet at Watkins Glen International to prepare for a day like no other in his racing career.

And that’s exactly what the two star drivers did in an event dubbed the Mobil 1 Car Swap at The Glen, with Hamilton taking the helm of a non-open-wheel race car for the first time and Stewart hopping in an F1 car.

Not even a cool, drizzly day that forced them to use rain tires at the storied road course could dampen their spirits.

WGI1.jpg
WGI1.jpg (14.92 KiB) Viewed 2007 times

Hamilton was first to go out for setup laps in the McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 that he drove to the F1 title in 2009. He wowed the crowd with a burnout as he left the pits and did only two laps as the surface slowly began to dry.

Stewart followed in his Chevrolet, going five laps as he tried to get accustomed to navigating the famed mile-long Boot section of the layout. Stewart has a record five Cup victories at The Glen, but NASCAR uses the 2.4-mile short course that eliminates the Boot.

Then came the swap.

“I never in a million years thought I’d have the opportunity to drive a NASCAR,” said Hamilton, who isn’t accustomed to standard shift and admitted to being nervous. “I don’t know what to expect. I know in NASCAR, you blow engines. We very rarely do that nowadays.”

Stewart, who was fitted for his new ride Monday, was curious, as well.

“I think I’ve raced one time in my career in the wet,” he said. “That was about five years ago. This ought to be a very interesting day, for sure. I got to run in the simulator yesterday quite a bit, but it didn’t have a rain program.”

Hamilton wowed the crowd, spinning the tires of Stewart’s Chevy as he left pit road and turned six laps. The track was slowly drying after a morning rain, and when he was finished, Hamilton did an impressive burnout as the crowd roared.

“I just feel like a kid. It’s good to feel like a kid again. It’s one of the coolest things I’ve done outside of racing Formula One,” said Hamilton, who crashed early in Sunday’s rainswept F1 race in Montreal and finished last. “The competitive side of (racing) is so serious. After a tough weekend, I was worried even this morning.”

The smoke from the burnout made Stewart grin from ear to ear, even if it was one of his own cars.

“The good part is when you see somebody doing a burnout like that, you know they’re having a good time,” he said. “That was icing on the cake.”

An F1 car can go from zero to 100 mph and back to zero in 6 seconds, can reach speeds over 220 mph, can turn 18,000 rpm, and weighs about a ton less than a Sprint Cup car. No problem for Stewart, though, who won an IndyCar Series title before moving to NASCAR in 1999.

After a shaky departure from the pits, Stewart got up to speed fast in the McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 despite not having driven an open-wheel car in a decade. Among his four laps, he turned a fast one of 1 minute, 42 seconds in tricky conditions.

That was 8 seconds faster than Hamilton’s best setup lap, which Hamilton ran on a much wetter surface. The track record for the long course is 1:28.597 at 136.935 mph, set by IndyCar’s Ryan Briscoe in 2009.

“I couldn’t even get it up high enough in the revs to get it to actually pull away in first gear. I kept having to reset it,” Stewart said. “I kept trying to tell myself, just get on the gas a little bit. As a competitor, you want to go out and find the limit. At the same time, you realize that if you make a mistake, the penalty for that mistake is going to be pretty harsh, so you may back it off a little bit just to enjoy the experience.

“Once we got rolling though, it was unbelievable. It’s just amazing what the capabilities of the car are. I told the guys on pit road that it’s probably going to make my crew chief a little more stressed during the weekends now because I’m going to want it to handle like that all the time. That was truly the experience of a lifetime.”

The event was a triumph for Watkins Glen president Michael Printup, who counts F1 as a passion. The Glen hosted F1’s U.S. Grand Prix from 1961-80. And for one day, that distinctive engine roar that once woke campers up on race day echoed through the hallowed turns of the famed course.

Heck, the event, which was free, attracted 8,000-10,000 fans.

“I can’t get rid of my goosebumps and my chills,” Printup said. “It was amazing, and it was amazing to have these fans out here. For me, personally, I haven’t come down from Cloud Nine. And I think I’m going to stay there at least for the rest of the day.”

Original article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slu ... miltonswap

Seat Swap Part 1

Seat Swap Part 2

Seat Swap Part 3

Seat Swap Part 4

Seat Swap Part 5

Seat Swap Part 6
Last edited by HiddenHollow on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

duffygoofy

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:22 am

Tony had a big big big smile on his face.
ImageImage
<<

im4tony

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:13 pm

kevinmboots77 wrote:I just got home from watching it! Lewis did an awesome burn out with the #14 right in front of me! It was great. I'll post pictures later.

Hey kevin you must have been right near me. I didn't get any great pictures. Too far away with my camera.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Thank you hh for the postings. I really wanted to see this and I missed it all yesterday. I saw a short video this morning but this was perfect. I just love to see Tony have a great time. He looked overwhelmed but enjoyed every second. Lewis would be an asset to NASCAR and I'd like to see him race here when he retires from F1. He is a classy guy and I think he would collect lots of fans.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

kevinmboots77

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:49 pm

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."-Voltaire
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so as well." Voltaire
<<

duffygoofy

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:14 pm

kevinmboots77 wrote:http://www.badgroove.com/index.php/2011/06/15/guest-entry-the-mobil-1-nascarf1-seat-swap/
The above link will take you to http://www.badgroove.com and my guest blog post.

http://web.me.com/kevinmboots/kmbracingpicts/Kevins_Race_Albums/Pages/Mobil1Carswap.html
THat link is to my pictures.

And this is Lewis Burnout in .gif

Pretty cool burnout.Thanks
ImageImage
<<

kevinmboots77

Post Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Video of Lewis driving the #14:
http://youtu.be/hmM8g8p1poM
Video of Tony driving the F1 car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3rhrNWerIw
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."-Voltaire
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so as well." Voltaire
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:47 am

ndunn wrote:Thank you hh for the postings. I really wanted to see this and I missed it all yesterday. I saw a short video this morning but this was perfect. I just love to see Tony have a great time. He looked overwhelmed but enjoyed every second. Lewis would be an asset to NASCAR and I'd like to see him race here when he retires from F1. He is a classy guy and I think he would collect lots of fans.

Glad you got to see it :!: :!: :D :D It was an interesting 1 hour program (minus the commercials).

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm so glad all the people that took the time to do all the posting for us that didn't see this the first time. Thank you. It was such a pleasure to see the chemistry between Lewis and Tony. One could see the respect each had for the other. I really hope Lewis does have the oportunity to race the Prelude next June. It was so great to read all that was printed and the videos without anything negative.....It surely made my day....
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

duffygoofy

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Ndunn---Look under Tony's Pics. There are some pics for you to see.
ImageImage
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:33 pm

duffygoofy wrote:Ndunn---Look under Tony's Pics. There are some pics for you to see.

Thank you "dg" I did go and look at the pics. Great pictures. I really like to see Tony smile and have a good time. He has been so busy the last couple of years it is great to see him have fun.

Previous

Return to Tony