Skip to content

SHR Post-Race Report: Road America

STEWART-HAAS RACING
Jockey Made in America 250
Date: July 4, 2021
Event: Inaugural Jockey Made in America 250 (Round 20 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin (4.048-mile, 14-turn road course)
Format: 62 laps, broken into three stages (14 laps/15 laps/33 laps)

Race Winner: Chase Elliott of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: William Byron of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Tyler Reddick of Richard Childress Racing (Chevrolet)

SHR Race Finish:
● Chase Briscoe (Started 35th, Finished 6th / Running, completed 62 of 62)
● Aric Almirola (Started 19th, Finished 14th / Running, completed 62 of 62 laps)
● Cole Custer (Started 15th, Finished 17th / Running, completed 62 of 62 laps)
● Kevin Harvick (Started 25th, Finished 27th / Running, completed 62 of 62 laps)

SHR Points:
● Kevin Harvick (9th with 599 points, 199 out of first)
● Chase Briscoe (23rd with 345 points, 453 out of first)
● Aric Almirola (27th with 317 points, 481 out of first)
● Cole Custer (28th with 294 points, 504 out of first)

SHR Notes:
● Briscoe earned his second top-10 of the season and equaled his best NASCAR Cup Series finish. The first time he finished sixth was on May 23 at Circuit of the Americas (COTA) in Austin, Texas.
● Briscoe was the highest finishing NASCAR Cup Series rookie for the 16th time this season.
● Almirola led a lap.
● Harvick finished seventh in Stage 2 to earn four bonus points.

Race Notes:
● Chase Elliott won the inaugural Jockey Made in America 250 to score his 13th career NASCAR Cup Series victory and his second of the season. His margin over second-place Christopher Bell was 5.705 seconds.
● There were four caution periods for a total of nine laps.
● Thirty-four of the 40 drivers in the Jockey Made in America 250 finished on the lead lap.
● Denny Hamlin remains the championship leader after Road America with a three-point advantage over second-place Kyle Larson.

Road America Quotes

Aric Almirola, driver of the No. 10 Smithfield/Pit Boss Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“I’ll take a 14th-place finish at a newer road course. Our Smithfield/Pit Boss Ford just needed more rear grip and speed to race with the top guys. We’re continuing to build on our road course program. All of the fans who came out on Fourth of July weekend was awesome to see. On to Atlanta.”

Chase Briscoe, driver of the No. 14 Ford Performance Racing School/HighPoint.com Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“I thought we were good enough to run fourth there at the end, but my engine shut off. I was tucked right up to the 11 car and about to make a move on him, and the engine just shut off. I don’t know if it got really hot when I was super close to him and spiked the temps or what. I feel like if it wasn’t for that, we probably would have run fourth. Then I lost a ton of track position and had to deal with the 42. Overall, it was a fun day. This place is a lot of fun when you are slipping and sliding around like that. I wish we could have been top-five, but to leave here with sixth is a good day and it was really cool to be the best Ford today. We definitely faced a lot of adversity with not getting a qualifying lap in, and then the penalty at the beginning. I felt like we had a really good car on the long run. I am proud of that. It was a good day overall and we needed that. We will go on to the next one and see if we can get better.”

Cole Custer, driver of the No. 41 HaasTooling.com Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing:
“It was a rough day at Road America, but it was awesome to be back for the holiday weekend. We had a solid car. We just struggled with a loose-handling racecar and didn’t have the short run speed we needed. I’m pretty excited to get to Atlanta and slip and slide around.”

Next Up:
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Atlanta 400 on Sunday, July 11 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The race starts at 3:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage on NBCSN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.

-SHR-