FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

favorite summer time memory as a kid

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:05 pm

favorite summer time memory as a kid

these lists wont die, they have a mind of their own.....

one of my favorite memories of summer was growing up in minnesota and going swimming everyday, leave the house around 9am and come home when it got dark, it was fun just hanging with the same group of friends and laffing our days away, i remember to be one of the cool kids ya had a pair of cut off jeans as your swim trunks, then when my family moved here to PA, never captured that same vibe, so i kinda miss those days...
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: favorite summer time memory as a kid

My first time if teenage years count,didn't know what the #### i was doing but it sure beat hunting,fishing,canoeing,camping,racing,ect.till the newness of that wore off. :lol: Then again as a child,i use to go to Maine with my grandparents and i still remember the out house with the brook that ran under it.Hated going out there because my grandparents had me so scared to death of bears,that was the last place i wanted to be caught by one if ever.The rest of it was alot of fun,but i still laugh to myself when i think of no indoor plumbing and bears.They didn't want me to wonder of too far and the story worked. :lol:
Last edited by wolfgang on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One, two, three and one more Hendrick driver to go!
<<

longtimetonyfan

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:29 pm

That's a tough one cause there were so many. Probably the best was at grandma and grandad's farm house. All the cousins and I would head to the barns and the huge 40 ft high straw ricks. We'd cover ourselves in the hay playing hide and seek in the barns, then climb those big straw ricks and slide to the bottom like huge slides. Get back to the house covered in scratches but it was a blast. Now I think about all the snakes that were hiding in all that straw and it gives me chills. :shock:
remember to enjoy life.....none of us are going to get out alive anyway
<<

tlmerk

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:12 am

these are getting more interesting every day MJ! :-)

Had to think about this for awhile. But when I was 9-10 my parents bought a house in VA that backed up against a forest. We only lived there a 6 months (even though it was the first house we ever owned as Dad's job made us move to CA) but in those 6 months I have more memories than the next 5 years. Memories of skateboarding down long hills and not being afraid but pretending we were surfing. One friends Dad used to tell us stories about animals or such and use our names in the stories and their house would become a huge spaceship and we all had different roles in the playacting--- like the bridge on Star Trek. But my favorite memory in Woodbridge/Dale City VA was exploring the forest by myself at age 9-10 for hours on end. Finding an old dump, crossing a river by scooching across a huge pipe on my belly and having to pass a wasp's next 100 feet off the ground over a river on my belly and just having adventures on my hikes. I can't imaging allowing my 9 year old daughter to be gone all day in woods I didn't know but my mom let me and I am sooo thankful today. I think that's why my husband and I are both country folks when our families really aren't. He used to spend summers in MT working his grandfather and uncle's logging company and I had my 6 months of adventures in the woods. I think these things imprint us.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:13 am

this was great reading the stories, i figured we try something new, and just learn more about the people on this site

i was thinking trying a book one next, see if we have any big readers.
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:58 pm

On Summer Saturday nights, if I couldn't go out to Tulsa Fairgrounds to watch the races, I would sit on the front porch steps, stare at the track lights, and listen to the (sprint) race cars make laps.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

duffygoofy

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Listening to my grandma sing Little old lady from Pasadena.She was so funny singing and dancing to that song.
ImageImage
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:12 pm

We lived out in the country and and we had the greatest summers. A creek to swim in woods to walk in and tons of friends. I never was alone as my older sister and I were close in age. To me the best part was fair time when the gardens were ready and I loved my fathers tomatoes. I don't know the name but they had a particular smell so that to this day I try and find that tomato in a farm market. I've never found it. Also as a teen my best friend got to drive her fathers "47" chevy truck. She didn't have a license but drove anyway. We never left the area so we she never got caught. Memories are the greatest! ;)
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:39 pm

I also have great summer memories of time spent with grandparents...days filled with ice cream, playing with my "summertime" friends(my grandparents lived out of state, and catching lightning bugs at night. How I wish we could all go back for one more day..................
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

justlisa

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:08 pm

I have many. Going to what we called "the country" ( now I Live here) swimming in the lakes, hiking, going for ice cream and camping. Going to the Jersey shore swimming, sand in your bathing suit, late nights on the board walk and my first kiss , many many good memories with my brothers, I cherish them now. I am less two brothers and would give anything to have one more day like that.
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 pm

I was just glad to be outta' school...and playin' all day! :D Though, it WAS cool when the Good Humor man would come through the alleys at night...and the Arabbers in the daytime, we don't have either anymore. :| Also the Honeysuckle, figs and peaches that used to grow in the back yard...homemade peach cake, pie and "i keem" was AWESOME!!!! :D :D :D :D
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:05 am

o man the dead of summer i was like a dog, i could hear the ice cream man miles away, and then started the breakdown of my mom, like on the simpsons " mom can i get some ice cream?" over and over til she caved...

<<

justlisa

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:48 pm

OMG the ice cream truck Good Humor always I loved the Toasted Almond !
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:49 pm

justlisa wrote:OMG the ice cream truck Good Humor always I loved the Toasted Almond !

Me too. Toasted Almond was always my first pick!! YUM!!
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

justlisa

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:51 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:
justlisa wrote:OMG the ice cream truck Good Humor always I loved the Toasted Almond !

Me too. Toasted Almond was always my first pick!! YUM!!

I wish I had one now!
Next

Return to The Lobby