FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PTI: Dale Jr's Daytona 500 fixed?

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:55 pm

PTI: Dale Jr's Daytona 500 fixed?

i found this story on jayski, apparently its is the wwe of racing, and for those who think JJ is boring, you should kick a lil kick at what he says at the end of the article.

Co-host Tony Kornheiser intimated on ESPN's Pardon the Interruption that NASCAR had helped Earnhardt turn the fastest lap in qualifying. Kornheiser said a longtime NASCAR reporter told him there was a 60% chance that Earnhardt's car might not be legal. "There are people in and around the NASCAR world, not just drivers but people who cover the sport, who are winking at this one," Kornheiser said. "Who are wondering if this wasn't a setup because it's the pole position." The reporter was The Washington Post's Liz Clarke, who covered NASCAR for more than a decade for four newspapers and also wrote a book about the sport. Earlier Tuesday, Clarke had appeared on Kornheiser's ESPN 980 radio show in Washington. During a discussion about Earnhardt's pole position, Clarke said, "people who covered racing for a long time, a lot were just laughing when they heard Junior won the pole because of the rich NASCAR tradition of ginning up storylines and outcomes. There's a lot of questions still about Richard Petty's 200th win, which came the day Ronald Reagan was there. Everything Americana happened to fall into place that particular day." Noting that PTI does a segment called "Odds" in which situations are assigned a 1-100 percentage, Kornheisesr asked Clarke, "what are the odds that NASCAR rigged this" so Earnhardt would start first? "I'd say better than 60%," Clarke said. "I'm trying to think, 'Will I regret saying that?' No, it's more likely than not. But he drives for the best, best team with the best cars and smartest mechanics. This is an awesome team. He's had the best equipment." During a Wednesday morning appearance on Sirius NASCAR Radio, Clarke said she regretted assigning a percentage to such a scenario.
ESPN vice president of motorsports Rich Feinberg said, "that's a show of opinion, and they are entitled to their opinion. And I can tell you for sure that ESPN doesn't agree with his opinion yesterday, but that's the nature of commentary, and not all the time are we going to get a rosy picture when people are offering their opinions."
After Nationwide practice Wednesday, Earnhardt told reporters Kornheiser's comments didn't bother him because "those two guys that do that show don't know much about racing." Kornheiser was contrite about his NASCAR comments during Wednesday's PTI show. The featured interview was five-time champion Jimmie Johnson, who jokingly invited Kornheiser to a NASCAR race "to keep you from saying stupid things."
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: PTI: Dale Jr's Daytona 500 fixed?

it IS the 10th anniversary of Sr's passing....ya never know. I still think that the race last year when they brought back the "Wrangler" paint scheme was rigged too.Its just MY opinion and everyone is entitled to it.......... ;)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Tony Kornheiser epitomizes the sports "commentators" who should quit trying to talk racing and stick to something their own speed...like checkers.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:19 am

midwesternsmoke wrote:it IS the 10th anniversary of Sr's passing....ya never know. I still think that the race last year when they brought back the "Wrangler" paint scheme was rigged too.Its just MY opinion and everyone is entitled to it.......... ;)

what has also been under wraps is tony's first tittle was fake, they let him win cuz it sounded like a good story, one week the guy is on the verge of bein a mental case then pulls it together to win a tittle....

i find it hard to believe that nascar and 43 drivers and crew would let something like this fly, let alone, keep it hush, every story that sounds good, can not be true? if that is the case millions of people are being duped.

as i respect your opnion, mine differs, i cant see that happening......
<<

Username

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 am

i have to agree with mj. all the people who need to be involved would make it impossible. i think the problem is jr, remember not too long ago he was actually pretty decent then something happened. hes in better cars with more opportunity to win but he sucks year after year now. maybe he doesnt know how or what but every once in awhile he finds a part of that determination in himself again. i dont think he will ever be a weekly front runner again though no matter how good of a team he is with, he'll just pull one out once in awhile.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 am

The pole, maybe I can see. Rumors persist that the only reason Darrell Waltrip didn't win the pole for his last Brickyard 400 was that Ricky Rudd was in the john when they told the drivers to let DW have it.

The race, though, there is no way, anniversary or not, anyone is going to give anyone the Daytona 500. This is the DAYTONA 500.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 am

By the way, I'm not saying I think the pole is a fix, just saying I can see where that would almost be a legitimate argument. The only argument that needs to be made is 2010 qualifying, when the 88 was second next to the 5. It's a Hendrick Chevy, its gonna be fast.

<<

tonysgirl14

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:16 am

I dont think so but it is about time Jr gets something
<<

Lasvegas39fan

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 am

I have to agree with most of the comments.A pole maybe they do that but a race?Especially the 500 No way.If they were fixing races they'd make sure JR unseated JJ for the Championship.Due to the amount of merchandise they would sell on that alone
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 am

Lasvegas39fan wrote:I have to agree with most of the comments.A pole maybe they do that but a race?Especially the 500 No way.If they were fixing races they'd make sure JR unseated JJ for the Championship.Due to the amount of merchandise they would sell on that alone

i was thinking about that too, the amount of money that would be pulled in from jr winning a championship....
i think when you get sport reporters that no next to nothing about motor sports, it ruins it for those that follow it, MW and i have talked about this topic a lot in the past, i can see where he is coming from,
the one thing in Jr's defense is he has always been a good plate racer, now if kevin conway wins a race, then id say the fix is on :mrgreen:

Return to NASCAR & Racing